Request : No more resizing !

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
KDEF2004

Re: Request : No more resizing !

Post by KDEF2004 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:22 pm

+1 the crossfade dialog box destroys my Windows setup.
Lenovo IdeaPad 330, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Beringer UMC404HD, Cubase 10.5, Wavelab 10.0.10, Specttralayers 6, Pro, Reason 11 Suite,HSO 1.5 VSTI'S & FX'S

https://www.instagram.com/djkdef/

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:14 pm

CrunkNationEnt wrote:Despite my total agreement with the OP, I must say to whoever suggested resizing (minimize) the main window in Cubase and fitting it in the workspace how you please, that it works very well! This goes for the Mini Browser, Media Bay and VST window as well!

Props to those that offered this suggestion! :D 8-)
Yep. It's the only way to avoid that issue, never (or rarely ever) maximize the arrange window. Anyone who uses Cubase figures that out by themselves eventually. It's not a "solution" or a "fix", it's just the only way to avoid a problem by not actually using one part of what is standard OS functionality, maximizing a window.

This conversation (not this actual thread obvioulsy :)) is probably 12-15 years old or more. I think Cubase VST windowed much the same way.

MDI works better in apps where you don't actually often need to see multiple child windows at the same time. In DAW's you kinda often do.

I wonder why they didn't code Sequel that same way? Maybe because they know better now? :) And, yeah, if you have the talent you can produce a Grammy winning hit in Cubase, go on a world tour, and still have time to occassionally discuss things you'd like to see improved in it. :) Those two things, good software and potential avenues for improvement in good software, are not mutally exclusive.

You can, I suppose, not maximize, work, and still keep occassionally asking for a better way. :)

CrunkNationEnt

Post by CrunkNationEnt » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:20 pm

LMAO! I dont have the liberty of waiting and debating...give me a decent workaround and we can go from there, thnx guys! 8-)
Conman wrote:Ah! Someone who listens and doesn't suffer for years hoping for some genius to do three months work to fix what takes ten (nay five) seconds to fix at the user end and doesn't entail writing four pages on how the programmers can fix the "obvious". :mrgreen:
I like sensible.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Conman wrote: Ah! Someone who listens and doesn't suffer for years hoping for some genius to do three months work to fix what takes ten (nay five) seconds to fix at the user end and doesn't entail writing four pages on how the programmers can fix the "obvious". :mrgreen:
I like sensible.
That's all great, but the windowing has always worked wrong. They implemented a child window system the dumbest way possible. It is inconsistent in behavior as it seems a couple of programmers at one time knew how it is supposed to work did some of it, then others followed the odd way. Then we have weird decisions of some windows that can't be on top to save ourselves from ourselves ... gee thanks.

Although I have used the window sets for ages, I do have multiple monitors of different sizes. Cubase is one of the worst multi-screen apps I've ever used. You can save a plugin location, save and re-open the project and the plugin will move. Same for the mixers.

Anyhow, yes you can work around the crappy windowing. But it has always been "broken" from an API stand point.

Does it stop you/me/us from working .. no. Am I looking forward to an interface that is closer to Halion 4 .. yes. And yet, even in programs with a more customizable approach like H4, Visual Studio, Photoshop hell even OSX and W8 still have damn vestiges of modal dialog boxes and properties pop-ups. DEATH TO MODALS!
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

Setanta2012

Post by Setanta2012 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:01 am

Quick question: There's been a lot of discussion about Cubase's annoying window resizing issue. Some posters have suggested that the underlying problem is caused by how Windows handles windows resizing, particularly in the likes of Explorer. Do people running Cubase on Macs not have this resizing problem then? If they do, then it's a problem with Cubase. If they don't, then it would suggest that the problem is rooted in how Windows handles window resizing and the MS forums might be worth exploring?
Cubase 6.5 (64 bit) | Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) | Echo Layla 3G PCI | M-Audio Oxygen 61 MIDI keyboard | Yamaha DGX - 205 Keyboard | Alesis M1-Active 520 Monitors | AMD Phenom II x4 840 3.20 GHz | 16G RAM | Dual Acer 24" Monitors | Assorted electric/acoustic/bass/lapsteel guitars.

Transistor

Post by Transistor » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:13 am

Anybody used Excel with more than one sheet open? The moving/resizing happens all the time if you use the max-button. Photoshop seems to have solved the problem, the post-CS3 look and feel is quite nice.

r,
j,
i7-5820K/16384/Win10
CPro 9.5.41 / CPro 10.5 / WLPro 10.0.0 / SpectralayersPro 6.0.2
Studio: RME HDSPe AES / Mytek 8x192 / Midex8 / (+ Aurora 8)
Mobile: CAI & WLElements [latest versions] / RME Babyface
Plugins. Hardware.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Transistor wrote:Anybody used Excel with more than one sheet open? The moving/resizing happens all the time if you use the max-button. Photoshop seems to have solved the problem, the post-CS3 look and feel is quite nice.

r,
j,
FYI Excel 2013 fixes the problem! Finally after years of user *witch*, the child window spreadsheet is dead!
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

registered

Post by registered » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Except for installing new graphics drivers, my project window has never resized in the last 15 years, so I'm happy with the status quo.
But in my limited programming experience, I've found that to keep multiple windows non-modal, they have to stay active in the program's "main" loop at all times.
A program that's pretending to appear as a "real time" app to the audio has a tough time maintaining all those active windows at once.
If I were a programmer, I would be investing even the fastest computer's resources into the audio, not into the graphics.
Programs like Excel, Photoshop, etc., don't have any realtime issues, so their main (computer) resource investment is in their graphics. Other DAWs may prioritize otherwise, but it appears to me that Cubase/Nuendo has more raw audio power than any other DAW. I would not jump ship to avoid something that I never realized was a problem.

Disclaimer: It's possible that modern programming methods can avoid this modality issue, in which case, ignore the hypothesis above...
Earle Mankey
Win 10, i7, UAD Apollo, Cubase 9.5.41
MCI 24 track, AMEK Angela console

Return to “Older Cubase versions”