Not happy with grace period or upgrade pricing

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Chris Young

Not happy with grace period or upgrade pricing

Post by Chris Young » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi all,

I need to vent. On November 20th I paid $249 to upgrade from Studio 5 to the full Cubase 5. Yes, ten days before the grace period starts. So now if I want to upgrade to C6 it will cost me $149 more. If I had just waited I could have upgraded from Studio 5 to C6 for just $199. I feel like I'm getting shafted here.

Maybe time to look at another DAW.
i7 , 8 Gb , Win 7 64 bit, MOTU Ultralite Mk3 hybrid, CC121, Roland VG-99, GR-20, Cubase 5.5, 6

Re: Not happy with grace period or upgrade pricing

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi

Potentially all it means is you need to wait a while before the money is saved again in relation to time.

You will find that the majority of users as a rule do not update immediately, reason being they have tuned their systems and do not want to upset their situations so wait until a spare moment.

This is my approach as well.

GL

Laurence Payne

Post by Laurence Payne » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Which would shaft you in exactly the same way if you were unlucky enough to miss a cut-off point.

Threats will get you nowhere. Pathetic sobbing to whoever sold you the previous upgrade might get you a "customer relations" discount, particularly if you're a regular and high-spending customer.

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Chris Young wrote:Hi all,

I need to vent. On November 20th I paid $249 to upgrade from Studio 5 to the full Cubase 5. Yes, ten days before the grace period starts. So now if I want to upgrade to C6 it will cost me $149 more. If I had just waited I could have upgraded from Studio 5 to C6 for just $199. I feel like I'm getting shafted here.

Well, wait ten days longer next time maybe you´re lucky then...
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

DjRavix

Post by DjRavix » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:16 pm

I would Advice you to contact the support
and see what they have to say ...
the grace period is indeed kinda short
maybe they might be a bit flexible with it ... and it never hurts to ask
PC Related Hardware:
Intel 3930K, 64GB Ram, SSD + Lot of HDD Space
Audio Related Hardware:
828MK3,61SL MKII,Virus A,Ultra Nova,Perception 200,Se Reflexion Filter,Nano Patch+,KRK RP8
Audio Related Software:
Cubase9,WavelabElements9,HSO,Grand3,HALion5,Korg LCAE,RPExplorer3,FF Bundle,Inflator,Sylenth1,Z3TA+2,Nexus2,VengeancePlugins,Various Sample Packs

Chris Young

Post by Chris Young » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:42 pm

deleted post
Last edited by Chris Young on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7 , 8 Gb , Win 7 64 bit, MOTU Ultralite Mk3 hybrid, CC121, Roland VG-99, GR-20, Cubase 5.5, 6

Chris Young

Post by Chris Young » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:45 pm

DjRavix wrote:

I would Advice you to contact the support
and see what they have to say ...
the grace period is indeed kinda short
maybe they might be a bit flexible with it ... and it never hurts to ask

Good advice Dj. I'll ask for a call back on Monday and see if they will help me out. To be honest, I don't see that much that I need in 6 anyway and maybe Bentley's advice is the path I'll take. Thanks for the constructive response.

JSW

Post by JSW » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Personally, I wouldn't complain about it on the company forum. Instead, I would go to where I bought it and kindly try to make a deal for the upgrade. Exceptions are made on all kinds of stuff all the time. Try being a little covert , call steiny direct and beg for mercy, whatever. When all else fails, then tear em apart on their forum.[if you still feel the need.] 8-)

Chris Young

Post by Chris Young » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:51 pm

JSW wrote:Personally, I wouldn't complain about it on the company forum. Instead, I would go to where I bought it and kindly try to make a deal for the upgrade. Exceptions are made on all kinds of stuff all the time. Try being a little covert , call steiny direct and beg for mercy, whatever. When all else fails, then tear em apart on their forum.[if you still feel the need.] 8-)

I bought it from Steinberg! It was an upgrade from Studio 5 which I also bought from SB (I own two licenses). The only way to get the upgrade is from SB. I would hope that SB wants to hear from their customers both with positive and negative feedback. If they're only interested in the accolades then the forum serves little purpose to help them be a better company and excel in customer service.

orchetect

Post by orchetect » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:26 pm

To Steinberg's benefit, from the point of Cubase 6's announcement on Jan 13, the grace period extends almost 45 days prior, and then extends almost another 45 days afterward to Feb 28. That's not too bad, considering other big software companies I'm familiar with don't typically have that long a grace period. But your experience may vary.
Steffan Andrews | Composer for Film/TV | Custom iPad control surface developer | website | imdb
DAW: Mac Pro 6,1 (trashcan) 3.5GHz 6-core 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD, macOS 10.13.6, Cubase 10.0.30 rc3, Cubase 10.5.0 a2, Dorico 2.1
Converters/Monitoring: UA Apollo Duo Thunderbolt x 2, Apollo 16 Thunderbolt, Focal Twin6/Sub6
Gear: Vertigo VSM-2, Pultec EQM-1S3 pair, Manley Massive Passive, Neve Portico II Master Buss Processor, Manley ELOP, Manley Nu Mu, API 2500, Smart C2, Dangerous Compressor, Millennia STT-1 & HV-3C, Aurora GTQ2 x 2, Manley Core, Neumann M149 / U87ai / TLM170R pair / KM184 mt, Schoeps CMC64 stereo pair, Gefell UM70S, AT5040 & AT5045, Yamaha CP33, 5 iPads running custom DAW control surface software

Conman

Post by Conman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:21 pm

A grace period is a grace period. If it was 5 years and you missed a day you'd really be upset. But if it was only one day and you missed it by a day then you missed it by double the grace. One year, month, day, minute, second.
You missed it. Tough.

I'd try all the good suggestions by everyone else but don't expect them to change their arrangements just for YOU.
Not your fault but I don't see it's theirs. As JSW says don't rant right NOW. Rant after you've exhausted all options possible.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Chris Young

Post by Chris Young » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Ya bad timing on my part. I'll see how strict SB is about the grace period. And if they are strict, I really don't need C6, just like to stay current. I would rather have an update to GA3 that works with the 64 bit Cubase.

careyletendre

Post by careyletendre » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:31 pm

Chris Young wrote:I feel like I'm getting shafted here.

It's a grace period, it has to begin and end sometime.

:roll:

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:06 pm

careyletendre wrote:

Not everyone seems to understand this relatively simple concept...
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

Chris Young

Post by Chris Young » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:17 pm

thinkingcap wrote:
careyletendre wrote:

Not everyone seems to understand this relatively simple concept...
Not everyone seems to get the point of my post ;)

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Chris Young wrote:Not everyone seems to get the point of my post ;)
Oh we GET the point ... we just don't SEE the point.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:01 am

All steinberg need to do is write a footnote to say that purchases bought outside the grace period will be treated on a case by case basis.

No worries then

careyletendre

Post by careyletendre » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:48 am

Chris Young wrote:
careyletendre wrote:

Not everyone seems to get the point of my post ;)
Would you like Steinberg to extend the grace period to November 20th? How about those that purchased the day before you? When does it end?

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:08 am

I believe the OP is asking for some discretion in this kind of situation, which as in my experience even from reading the old forum, Steinberg have always shown.

careyletendre

Post by careyletendre » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:17 am

bentley wrote:I believe the OP is asking for some discretion in this kind of situation, which as in my experience even from reading the old forum, Steinberg have always shown.
If that is the case then that's fair enough.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”