Integrating Metagrid into Cubase workflows

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
raino
Grand Senior Member

Integrating Metagrid into Cubase workflows

Post by raino »

There are several threads like this one that discuss & ask questions about Metagrid in general.
viewtopic.php?f=250&t=121120

I wanted to start this thread specifically for folks actually using Metagrid with Cubase with the discussion covering best practices, organizational approaches, and tips & tricks. So if you have more general questions please use the other thread or start a new thread. :idea:
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

raino
Grand Senior Member

Re: Integrating Metagrid into Cubase workflows

Post by raino »

When I first got Metagrid I thought a bunch about what buttons to use and how to arrange them. Basically I used what I figured were the key commands I used the most. After awhile I noticed that I didn't really use Metagrid regularly.

Then I created a large empty View where while I worked whenever I did something that warranted a button I either created it right then (or made a note to do it later). Nothing fancy just text on an empty button with an Action Queue - I've found hunting for just the right Icon or Color can eat up a lot of time.

I learned several things form this exercise. First, putting my most used commands on the grid was the wrong approach. Those are the commands that my hand instinctively forms on a QWERTY keyboard. While I certainly will want those commands available, they are not going to entice me to pick up the iPad. Instead the things you do fairly often but not enough to make it second nature are more likely to get me using Metagrid. I also ended up with a bunch of useful basic buttons to refine and use elsewhere.

I also realized that lots of buttons (I'm gonna refer to the commands attached to buttons as just buttons) fell into groupings where you might use a set of buttons together depending on what you are doing. For example, buttons to change chord inversions & set midi channels would be useful when composing but not so much when tracking vocals where a different set of buttons would be useful.

So I decided to create Scenes that were focused on different work tasks. These are my initial focus areas which will of course evolve & expand over time.

Writing - mostly arranging & midi editing
Tracking - recording & audio editing
Mixing - audio signal flow, manipulation and exporting
Scores - Visual layout, lyrics
Config - One stop shopping for Studio Setup, Audio Connections, Project Setup etc.

I also noticed that if you look at all the available Cubase Key Commands (inc. macros, LE presets, etc) they fell into 3 categories:
1. Buttons I want to be immediately available no matter what I'm doing (Play, Zoom in, Save)
2. Buttons I want to be easily available no matter what I'm doing (Go to Marker 8, Set Quant 1/8).
3. Buttons I only need available when doing specific tasks (Nudge Right, Q-Link).

So I took the buttons in category 1 and made a "template" View that I could use as a starting point for making task specific Views. This way every Scene built on this template will have the Play, Snap, Save etc. buttons in the same place. I also did the same for category 2, making a template for the shift views.

More later, including pics.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

mbira

Post by mbira »

I primarily use it as a visibility agent. I have all my template sections as buttons and for things like "Orchestral" that button is set to a new view that takes me to choose which orchestral section so I can dive down deeper. As I add new libraries, I plan to continue to just build more branches from that main view.

I also have a few of my custom macros on the bottom of each view just so I don't have to use up key command space on the keyboard.
Cubase Pro | Wavelab Pro | Dorico Pro | SpectraLayers | Halion 6 | Laptop: Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 32 G RAM, OS 10.15.5| Studio computer: 2012 12 core Mac Pro Tower 64 G RAM | PC Slave i7 8920 running VEP6 | Apollo 16 Firewire

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Attached are the template for my main View showing the buttons that will always be available if starting from this template.

And then there is a main View for my writing Scene. As you can see this totally fills in the grid leaving no room for growth. I think I'll eventually need to split writing into 2 Scenes.
Attachments
main writing.PNG
(387.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rodger

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Urghhhhhh! This is the 2nd time in the last few days where I tried to post links to 2 attachments, but when the forum publishes the posts 1 of the attachments disappears.

Here is the main template
Attachments
main template.PNG
(246.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rodger

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

And here is my shift template. It takes up a bunch more real estate since it has stuff like go to markers and different quantize settings - which consume lots of buttons.
Attachments
shift template.PNG
(340.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rodger

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

And finally the shift View for the writing Scene.
Attachments
Shift Writing.PNG
(405.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rodger

benjaminduk

Post by benjaminduk »

Hi,

I saw your post about Metagrid and was wondering if you could help me with some of the scripts you have going in yours? I'm not sure how to do random velocity and random start by an amount like you have.

Also do you perhaps know if there's a way to increase Volume automation by an amount?

Regards,
Ben.
Cubase 9.5 Pro, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen), Intel i7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard, 48GB Ram, Adam A7X Speakers, Icon Platform M+

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

benjaminduk wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 pm
Hi,

I saw your post about Metagrid and was wondering if you could help me with some of the scripts you have going in yours? I'm not sure how to do random velocity and random start by an amount like you have.

Also do you perhaps know if there's a way to increase Volume automation by an amount?

Regards,
Ben.
All the heavy lifting for the random start and velocity is done using by the Logical Editor. In the Generic Remote where you set up Cubase Macros to execute from Metagrid, that is not restricted to Cubase Macros. In the column 'Channel/Category' select 'Process Logical Preset' instead of 'Macro' and then for 'Value/Action' select the LE Preset you want to use.

Here's the preset to randomize the start, velocity is similar.
LE Random start.PNG
(29.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
By the way it is better to randomize by a small amount several times than to randomize by a larger number once. Multiple times will give you a normal distribution of values around the initial value which is closer to what really happens when playing. Where doing a single randomization will give you values evenly distributed across the entire range.

Regarding changing the automation level the Project Logical Editor is the most likely tool to work (and these can also be assigned to Metagrid buttons). There is an example preset to delete all Volume Automation which would be a good starting point, but I couldn't get it to work (?!?) to even delete the Automation.

The brute force approach would be to select all the data points and then change the value in the Info Line. You will only see the value for the first data point but if you increase it by 7 all the other selected points will increase by 7 from their initial value.
rodger

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

For most midi manipulation, especially creating rhythms, I would add that Jononotbono, has contributed a wealth of Logical Editor presets ready to go for Metagrid. Or they could simply be used in Cubase without Metagrid. Like hundreds of presets, so it can be a process of elimination as far as what the user wants to use. Jonos Logical editor presets were included in the last Metagrid update.

As far as workflow, my thoughts are that since Cubase is very feature-rich, everyone seems to work a bit differently by using different features. Think of a film/orchestral composer with hundreds of Cinnematic/Kontakt/EWQL sample tracks vs. an EDM user vs. editing in score, vs live recording etc.

My workflow is a bit physical...Metagrid pad in the middle above my keyboard controller, (see attachment) and off to the right, QWERTY with mouse below and above QWERTY a DAW controller. So I agree with Raino, that some of the most used KC's...I'm stuck with my right hand on the QWERTY which is faster than looking for the Metagrid button, or the same looking at the outdated 6-character limitation MCU controller. But, there are some overlapping KC's I make both available on Metagrid and QWERTY...plus even a few on the MCU controller.

The way I have Metagrid set up is a semi-reflection of Cubase. Scenes for key editor, project page, mix consoles, sample editor, transport and even workspaces since I like to look at for example 5 open VST's on a focused group channel. My wish is that someday the developer will allow Metagrid to "chase" whatever window is focused in Cubase, or even Cubase "chase" Megagrid. Steinberg needs to sort out some control focus issues first.

For me it seems Metagrid has been a non-stop evolving workflow enhancer. I'm always adding, changing for the better, enhancing...anything to achieve better workflow. IMO how that is achieved is going to be different for every user. Raino has given some good starting points.
Attachments
metagrid 1.png
Metagrid iPad in the middle, just above the keyboard controller
(644.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

benjaminduk

Post by benjaminduk »

Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I managed to get it working!

It takes a long time to setup, but once it's going it works so well. Can't wait to try out the new workflow. This is going to save so much time. I wish Cubase would have something like this that is built into Cubase itself and would come with a free App to download.

I'll try the automation brute force trick :D

@greggybud, thanks for the information and nice setup!
Cubase 9.5 Pro, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen), Intel i7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard, 48GB Ram, Adam A7X Speakers, Icon Platform M+

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono »

Glad people have found my LE commands useful! :)
Please make me stop buying stuff.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

jono not bono wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 am
Can you post a link to them here.
rodger

T-bag

Post by T-bag »

raino wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:33 pm
jono not bono wrote:
Can you post a link to them here.
http://www.metasystem.io/downloads/downloads.html

Find them in the cubase folder of the app-specific downloads
Windows 10 64 bit; 64GB Ram; Intel i7 8700; VEP Slave i9 64gb ram; Graphics-twin monitor;
Hardware: Motif XF7; Emu Esynth; MPK249; XV5080; MOTU 828mk3 & 2408; Komplete Kontrol S49
Plug Ins - Mach Five-3; Kontakt V; Best Service Engine; Omnisphere; Lemur & Metagrid controllers; Cubase User since 1993.

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

jono not bono wrote:
All your demos and other things are really good. Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

rodger --

I've still not gotten set-up for Metagrid use, but I've been following the threads and think I will likely attempt incorporating it into my setup.

May I go off topic a bit and ask if you can compare use of Metagrid with one or more of the Steinberg Hardware controller devices? The device controllers look great in demo videos -- I'm certainly tempted. However, hell often looks like heaven in the demo version. And from the things I've seen demonstrated and discussed, the Metagrid looks really cool. Thanks.
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Stephen57 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:22 am
rodger --

I've still not gotten set-up for Metagrid use, but I've been following the threads and think I will likely attempt incorporating it into my setup.

May I go off topic a bit and ask if you can compare use of Metagrid with one or more of the Steinberg Hardware controller devices? The device controllers look great in demo videos -- I'm certainly tempted. However, hell often looks like heaven in the demo version. And from the things I've seen demonstrated and discussed, the Metagrid looks really cool. Thanks.
I think controllers (in general) are most useful when you want to control the value of some setting (e.g. fader position, EQ frequency, etc). Metagrid doesn't play in that space at all. The only thing it can do is let you hit a button that causes some action(s) to occur. Sure most controllers also have some buttons that work similar. But those are generally more limited in 2 ways. 1) You get a fixed number of buttons in fixed locations vs. Metagrid's unlimited buttons arranged however you like. 2) Metagrid lets you issue sequences of commands that are more complex than I've seen on controllers.

They are each useful, but for different things and the overlap is fairly limited.

Clearly Santa needs to understand you deserve both. ;)
rodger

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

raino wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 am

They are each useful, but for different things and the overlap is fairly limited.

Thanks, Roger. I have my letter in to the North Pole and I hope for a favorable answer soon. :-)

Help with Cubase:

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

raino wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 am
I think controllers (in general) are most useful when you want to control the value of some setting (e.g. fader position, EQ frequency, etc). Metagrid doesn't play in that space at all. The only thing it can do is let you hit a button that causes some action(s) to occur. Sure most controllers also have some buttons that work similar. But those are generally more limited in 2 ways. 1) You get a fixed number of buttons in fixed locations vs. Metagrid's unlimited buttons arranged however you like. 2) Metagrid lets you issue sequences of commands that are more complex than I've seen on controllers.

This is very well said. For $14 do you really need Santa? Or is it the iPad? Metagrid will work on older versions, so a new one is not necessary. In addition I would add if you are a composer with hundreds or thousands of tracks, Metagrid will be a great advantage. If you use many logical presets it will be an advantage too.

Honestly, I get greater value out of Metagrid than my DAW controller which is used mostly for fader functions, and I have only been using it for a year.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

greggybud wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:27 pm
This is very well said. For $14 do you really need Santa? Or is it the iPad? Metagrid will work on older versions, so a new one is not necessary. In addition I would add if you are a composer with hundreds or thousands of tracks, Metagrid will be a great advantage. If you use many logical presets it will be an advantage too.

Honestly, I get greater value out of Metagrid than my DAW controller which is used mostly for fader functions, and I have only been using it for a year.
Exactly. And yeah I did buy a used iPad just for Metagrid. But it was still worth it.
rodger

T-bag

Post by T-bag »

Metagrid users should note this problem in Cubase 10 regarding the PLE
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=147465&p=793588#p793588
Windows 10 64 bit; 64GB Ram; Intel i7 8700; VEP Slave i9 64gb ram; Graphics-twin monitor;
Hardware: Motif XF7; Emu Esynth; MPK249; XV5080; MOTU 828mk3 & 2408; Komplete Kontrol S49
Plug Ins - Mach Five-3; Kontakt V; Best Service Engine; Omnisphere; Lemur & Metagrid controllers; Cubase User since 1993.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

T-bag wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:28 pm
Metagrid users should note this problem in Cubase 10 regarding the PLE
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=147465&p=793588#p793588
Thanks for the heads up.
rodger

GaryWestwood

Post by GaryWestwood »

Hi Rodger, I'm new to Metagrid but a long time Cubase user.
I'm liking the way you approach the scenes with your workflow.

Is there any where I could download your Metagrid template please to take a further look?
Gary

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, UVI Drum Designer, Acoustic Samples Libs., BFD3, UHE Diva & Repro1&5, Synapse Legend, Dune3, Obsession, Xfer Surum, KV331 SynthMaster, Izotope MPS3, SoundToys 5, CC121 Controller

Dell XPS 15 9560 - i7 7700 4 Core Processor 2.8GHz, 3TB SSD, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050, Thunderbolt 3, UAD Apollo 8, Satellite Octo & Quad, Nord Stage 3, Roland RD-2000, Roli Seadboard Block, Akai MPD226

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

GaryWestwood wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:26 pm
Hi Rodger, I'm new to Metagrid but a long time Cubase user.
I'm liking the way you approach the scenes with your workflow.

Is there any where I could download your Metagrid template please to take a further look?
Sorry this took awhile. In theory the attached should let you access my viewsets, let me know if it works.

A few caveats. Since many of the buttons are dependent on Macros & PLE/LE presets on my DAW, those Action Queues won't properly execute. Also I never downloaded any of the Generic Remote Updates from Metagrid, just edited the originals as needed - again this might break a few more Action Queues. If there is anything you're curious about how it works, just ask and we can discover if I remember.

This includes the Scenes I normally use plus those that initially came with Metagrid and some scratchpads. The ones named "...copy for new scenes" are the starting templates I use for most new Scenes so I can always have certain buttons in specific locations for every scene (except for specialized scenes like setting colors or a remote control with big transport buttons).
Attachments
CubaseMetagrid.zip
(80.42 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
rodger

GaryWestwood

Post by GaryWestwood »

Many thanks Rodger

That's ported over just fine and saved my hours of work, so all credit for your effort.

I'm gonna give it a go with my next track!!!
Gary

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, UVI Drum Designer, Acoustic Samples Libs., BFD3, UHE Diva & Repro1&5, Synapse Legend, Dune3, Obsession, Xfer Surum, KV331 SynthMaster, Izotope MPS3, SoundToys 5, CC121 Controller

Dell XPS 15 9560 - i7 7700 4 Core Processor 2.8GHz, 3TB SSD, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050, Thunderbolt 3, UAD Apollo 8, Satellite Octo & Quad, Nord Stage 3, Roland RD-2000, Roli Seadboard Block, Akai MPD226

Return to “General”