Mono VSTs Only Affect Left Channel

Discussions about VST Instruments and VST plug-ins from other manufacturers
Swam1983

Mono VSTs Only Affect Left Channel

Post by Swam1983 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I've run into a strange issue with applying VST plugins to my mono guitar tracks. If I insert a VST plugin, let's say an EQ to a guitar track panned hard left, everything works just as it should. However, when I insert an effect on a track panned hard right, the EQ has no effect whatsoever. Interestingly, on a track panned dead center, I can hear the EQ taking effect, but only through the left monitor.

There's more...bare with me. I decided to solo the right guitar track and export it as a wav file to the desktop. Oddly, when playing the file, sound is heard just fine, but no visual waveform is occurring in the player.

Something strange is happening here. Although I'm about 99% certain this is being caused by something very simple which I've overlooked, I thought I'd reach out through the forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Re: Mono VSTs Only Affect Left Channel

Post by Prock » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm

It certainly is strange but that is the way Cubase works with some (most?) stereo VSTs. Meaning, some stereo VSTs will not sound correct when inserted to audio being played back from a mono track.

One way to get your stereo VSTs to work is to always record on a stereo audio track from your mono bus (like guitar and mic). I posted the discussion below to get some feedback on why would I ever want to record to a mono audio track. To me, nothing discussed really compels me to ever use a mono track (so I NEVER do). Check it out at the link below.

BTW... you can get those stereo VSTs to work properly by adding a stereo audio track to your project then dragging your guitar recording from the mono track to the newly created stereo track. The the audio file and waveform do not change in any way but your stereo VST will work correctly.

For your 2nd concern I really can't comment on that except to try the above suggestion then do the export again to see if it makes a difference.

viewtopic.php?f=198&t=100307&hilit=prock

BTW... It's always best to list your software and computer OS specs when asking for assist. You can add these things to your forum signature.

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

Swam1983

Post by Swam1983 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks! Forgot to mention that I am running Sequel 3 on a Windows 7 PC. Guitar tracks are being recorded direct through a Zoom G3 effects processor via USB. I am using Asio4All as a driver.

PeppaPig

Post by PeppaPig » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 pm

The issue with making stereo your default is you are doubling the processor load for many tracks which do not require to be stereo.
Cubase Pro 10.00.40, 9.5, Pro9.0.20. WaveLab 9 EL. UA Apollo Quad FW, UA PCI Octo, UA Satelite Quad, Adam T5V, Golden Audio pre73 DLX, Behringer ADA8200, Joe Meek AC3, Intel i7 6850x@4.2Ghz (6C/12T), Asus x99 Deluxe II, AMD 6450 HD, Windows 10 Pro, Samsung 860 and 850 SSDs, 64Gb RAM - Melodyne Studio, Komplete ultimate 11, Halion 6, GA,GA2,GA3,GA4 (+sp), OZ6, OZ7, OZ8 adv, Neutron Adv, BFD3, SoundToys rack, Panorama P1, M-Audio Oxygen, Yamaha YPP55 - outboard: PRO VLAII, Digitech Time machine RDS4000, 1950s Ferrograph Series 5, Mics: AKG C1000S, Rode NT2A and M5 pair, SE2200A, SE X1R, Fame-VT67 (cheap valve U67 clone), Heil PR20&PR22, Behringer Mic2200 used for reamping with a bit of nastiness!

Return to “VST Instruments and Virtual Effects (general)”