dropouts on rendered wav

All topics on WaveLab 7 and WaveLab Elements 7
pwhodges

Re: dropouts on rendered wav

Post by pwhodges »

planetgroove wrote:But rendering audio material with dropouts is one of the most severe faults, an audio editor can have. If everything else goes wrong - that at least should work 100% flawlessly.
I think you would agree, right?
Yes, of course I agree; and I would hope that PG is aware of design techniques that help to minimise the likelihood of introducing errors. But none the less, errors can still happen; testing inherently cannot be complete and perfect. Any particular error may only happen in rather specific circumstances - as another example, consider the early Pentium processors that were manufactured with a fault in the floating-point divide instruction: this was a blatant and readily demonstrable fault, yet one that even the resources of Intel managed to miss in testing. In any case, given an actual fault for whatever reason, a sufficiently measured response should be made, to minimise the possibility of some other error being made by rushing the job.

Paul

planetgroove

Post by planetgroove »

Yes, I know about the Pentium-calculation-error. But that was hardware-immanent and therefore not as easy to sort out as it is with software.

In the end I resented the statement of PG: "The exact date can't be given now, because there are several parallel ongoing projects at Steinberg."

The "exact" date can't be given, OK. But the following reason is kind of silly for such an important thing like dropouts in audio. What are the parallel ongoing projects? Sure, there will be a lot. But are they as important as this bug? Are they important enough, to leave this bug in the software for several months? Are they important enough to justify a phrase like "The fix will be included in the next version". When we all now, that the release of "a new version" is normally some weeks - if not months - in the future? That is the point.

Remember: the bug exists since day one of Wavelab 7. The first post of this thread is from 28 Jan 2011. Several months ago, therefore. That is inacceptable - simply put after a lot of words.
Planet Groove Productions
digitalmasteringservice.com

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

planetgroove wrote:Remember: the bug exists since day one of Wavelab 7. The first post of this thread is from 28 Jan 2011. Several months ago, therefore. That is inacceptable - simply put after a lot of words.
You still don't seem to understand that a bug that's a major one for you, doesn't have to be any problem for the next guy. Like me, for instance. Hope it gets fixed soon anyway..

Luck, Arjan
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab Pro 10.0.50 | Cubase Pro 11.0.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

planetgroove

Post by planetgroove »

Arjan P wrote: You still don't seem to understand that a bug that's a major one for you, doesn't have to be any problem for the next guy. Like me, for instance. Hope it gets fixed soon anyway..
I'm well aware of different rating of the importance of different bugs by different users. And of course: that bug, that affects you most is - naturally - the most important bug ... :lol:

But aside from that personal estimation and seriously now, there are some things that simply are a no go's. Example: New car. Somebody would not have a big problem with blisters in the finishing, others would have. But (I "guess") ALL would find it faulty that the seats are not built into their car (tip as a workaround: use folding-camp-chairs until the manufacturer delivers the leather furniture) or the back-rests are missing (workaround: use some slab of wood and fix it with florist wire - alternatively: Gaffa-tape). ;)

All those, who use that part of WL extensively, are massively restricted with this bug now, not only a little. It's not a matter of personal taste. Because we are forced to alter the whole workflow (like described in an earlier post), and older projects cannot be used/reopened without heavy, time consuming changes. Hence this part of the program is completely unusable.

So, after rethinking: would you agree, that this IS a most important bug, that needs to be fixed as fast as possible, even if YOU don't use that part?
If not, please let me know examples of other as-important bugs or Steiny-development work, and I will think about it. Otherwise your posting is not much of use, because you claim something, but the substantiation and the example is missing. I'm curious.

Johnny B Richman

Post by Johnny B Richman »

:roll: PG said the next version (where this bug is fixed) comes in June so what is the point of this "discussion"...
Win7 x64 SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K 3,4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3, RME Fireface 400, MIDISport 4x4, MSI GeForce GTX 1060 + 2x HP ZR2440w displays
Cubase Pro 10.0.20, WaveLab 9.5.50, HALion 6

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

There is no discussion. Planetgroove cannot understand that people not using external gear have no problem whatsoever with dropouts in WL7 - and subsequently wants Steinberg's full attention and all resources going towards this bug, and only to this bug.

Luck, Arjan
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab Pro 10.0.50 | Cubase Pro 11.0.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

Johnny B Richman

Post by Johnny B Richman »

Arjan P wrote:There is no discussion...
Hence the apostrophes...
Win7 x64 SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K 3,4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3, RME Fireface 400, MIDISport 4x4, MSI GeForce GTX 1060 + 2x HP ZR2440w displays
Cubase Pro 10.0.20, WaveLab 9.5.50, HALion 6

da goose

Post by da goose »

My work around is recording the input again to a new file but just right now i had a track that i rendered (i forgot i had the extrenal gear in line) like supposed to and i noticed something strange. .
The first attack of the sound was missing even if the original file has a small silent pre-gap in the beginning.
When i playback the original file with all pluginns it's ok and you can even hear the small pre-gap but when rendered the pre-gap is gone and also the first couple of miliseconds of the audio are gone. I didn't notice this with the 7.01 version and since i useually don't use the render any more i never noticed before.

Looks like there is something going on with the latency of the external gear pluginn when rendering?

S-EH

Post by S-EH »

The first attack of the sound was missing even if the original file has a small silent pre-gap in the beginning.
When i playback the original file with all pluginns it's ok and you can even hear the small pre-gap but when rendered the pre-gap is gone and also the first couple of miliseconds of the audio are gone. I didn't notice this with the 7.01 version and since i useually don't use the render any more i never noticed before.
Check Options > Audio Streaming Settings...

"Perform short fade-in/out when starting/stopping playback"

try toggle this setting

regards S-EH
RME Fireface 800, WaveLab, Cubase...

planetgroove

Post by planetgroove »

da goose wrote: Looks like there is something going on with the latency of the external gear pluginn when rendering?
That is another bug I informed Steinberg about via support-form long ago. The automatic latency detection of External Gear-function seems to be out of order at his time ...
So it seems, Steinberg forgot testing External Gear completely, when slapping out the new version.

planetgroove

Post by planetgroove »

Johnny B Richman wrote:PG said the next version (where this bug is fixed) comes in June so what is the point of this "discussion"...
The discussion is about the phrasing. With a severe bug like this, a patch could be made faster than packing it into a "next version". That's possible. "In June" means four weeks. Add this to the other 8 months, we couldn't use External Gear, then you'll likely understand. And: Will it REALLY be fixed? We heard this promise already (see above) - and it was NOT fixed - for that time I kept quiet, as you can see in the thread. So now we need to make a little pressure on the developers, that they get it really right - this time. Right?
Last edited by planetgroove on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

planetgroove

Post by planetgroove »

Arjan P wrote:Planetgroove cannot understand that people not using external gear have no problem whatsoever with dropouts in WL7 - and subsequently wants Steinberg's full attention and all resources going towards this bug, and only to this bug.
Please read my previous posts. And you'll understand, that this statement of you is complete nonsense.
Regarding the dropouts as such: I know, that they don't occur, when working only without External Gear. That is/was not the point. But do you trust a software, that inserts dropouts into a processing-path, that is crucial for mastering studios?

It's all about prioritization, as I wrote in one of my first posts regarding this "discussion". Perhaps you don't know this word and its meaning? Maybe in the future ...

Until then, please give an example of an equally important bug to be fixed - instead of only repeating a claim that is not true and only your opinion, not a fact. Thanks.

twb716

Post by twb716 »

Has there been a fix to this yet? I have Wavelab Elements 7.2.1.600 and I am still getting dropouts! Solution??? Steinberg???

PG

Post by PG »

There is no known bug of WaveLab on this. What plugins are you using with WaveLab Elements?
Philippe

twb716

Post by twb716 »

Phillipe,

Here is a link to this forum in which you replied several times about the issue over a year ago claiming that there would be a bug fix released with the newest version of Wavelab:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60988

That being said, I am using the Peak Master plugin and the Scarlett EQ plugin only. As stated in my original post, the problem is occurring even when I disable all plugins.

Any idea as to what the problem is or how to fix it? I'd hate to have wasted the money on the program, as it's pretty much useless to me if it can't render and/or burn. Thanks.

TB

PG

Post by PG »

That thread was about the External Gear plugin, a special plugin that is not included in WaveLab Elements.
As mentionned in the other thread, my guess is a HD issue.
Philippe

jazzgene

Post by jazzgene »

PG wrote:That thread was about the External Gear plugin, a special plugin that is not included in WaveLab Elements.
As mentionned in the other thread, my guess is a HD issue.
I posted about this external plugin dropout issue earlier in late 2011/early 2012. I was able to fix it by increasing latency on the RME soundcard to 1024 samples.

Then mastering my new album this past December on a brand new Mac, and using the latest 7.2.1 build 600, I was dismayed to see that this same problem occurred. Dropouts when rendering using external plugin. I increased the latency on the RME card again to 1024 and then it worked properly.

This never happened in Wavelab 6.

Return to “WaveLab 7 | WaveLab Elements 7”