Distorted sound in Cubase AI 5 through Steinberg CI2

This section is about Steinberg's USB audio interfaces CI1, CI2 and CI2+
petesz

Distorted sound in Cubase AI 5 through Steinberg CI2

Post by petesz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi all. I've recently purchased a Steinberg CI2 with Cubase AI 5 and have a problem when recording sound. I have been able to record some sound that plays back clearly but at other times the recording is quieter and badly distorted when I listen to it. The condenser mic sadly took a bit of a bash (and now has a dent in it) but I don't think that is the issue because as I'm recording the sound quality is fine through the headphones. I'm using a bit of an old laptop so that may be where the problem lies but I don't want to splash out on a new machine if it isn't. Any help that anyone can give would be appreciated!

Bane

Re: Distorted sound in Cubase AI 5 through Steinberg CI2

Post by Bane » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Are the peak indicators flashing red, or is your software showing that you are clipping?
Asus R500A-RS52, Windows 8, 2.6gHz i5 -3230M, 6GB RAM,

Cubase Artist 7.0.6, Wavelab Elements 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, The Grand 3, Melodyne Essential, Superior Drummer, EZDrummer and Pop! EZX, Samson CO1, Yamaha P-35, Mackie MR5mk2 monitors, and more....

My tunes on: Soundcloud

petesz

Post by petesz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Bane, thanks for your reply! It turned out to be my computer's wireless that was interfering with the signal. Since disabling the wireless on the lap top I haven't had any problems.

Bane

Post by Bane » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Yep, I've done the same on my Vista to fix dropouts. Now I only have internet on my XP. :|
Asus R500A-RS52, Windows 8, 2.6gHz i5 -3230M, 6GB RAM,

Cubase Artist 7.0.6, Wavelab Elements 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, The Grand 3, Melodyne Essential, Superior Drummer, EZDrummer and Pop! EZX, Samson CO1, Yamaha P-35, Mackie MR5mk2 monitors, and more....

My tunes on: Soundcloud

Return to “Steinberg CI Series”