CC121 Fader - hardwired to volume?

All about Steinberg's Advanced Integration Controller CC121.
jorisdeman

CC121 Fader - hardwired to volume?

Post by jorisdeman »

Hi Guys,

I have a Euphonix MC Control which I love for the most part.
But what really gets on my *hits* is that the faders are all hardwired to volume control.
The MC Mix supports fader flipping, but weirdly the MC Control doesn't; whether this is something that can be supported from within Nuendo would be nice to know.

Anyhoo, as such I'm looking at a CC121 in addition to my MC Control.
The transport is a bit clearer on the CC121 and the jog/scrub wheel looks more useful.

So, the question is: does the CC121 fader allow control of anything else besides volume control?
If not...why not?

As with the MC Control, I can think of many uses for a fader besides volume:
-modulation control on a midi track
-user selectable plug-in control parameters
-panning (easier with a fader than with a knob)
-tempo
-sends....

etc.

So, does it?

Cheers,

Joris
Nuendo 10, Mac Os Mojave / Windows 10 | iMac Pro 8 core | X-keys |PT Control | VSLE Pro | UAD Apollo Quad via Thunderbolt | Dual Xeon & i7 Hexacore Slave PC's | G-tech G-Raid drives

www.jorisdeman.com

Anashwaran

Re: CC121 Fader - hardwired to volume?

Post by Anashwaran »

My experience is : NO
It uses only the volume control.
Sorry, but I would like that myself
Anashwaran

valsolim

Post by valsolim »

Hello,

although I don't have CC121 yet, I'm curious about this question, too. What happens if an automation track for a parameter other than the volume is selected in the project window? Isn't this a way to control and automate an arbitrary selected parameter with the CC121 fader?

Thanks for verifying my idea!
--
Miloslav
Cubase Pro 11, Dorico Pro 3.5, HALion 6, WaveLab Pro 10, Windows 10, Plogue Bidule, Cognitone Synfire, Celemony Melodyne, MeldaProduction, ToneBoosters, Voxengo, Steinberg MR816csx, Presonus DigiMax FS, ART HeadAmp 6 Pro, IK Multimedia ARC 2, Adam Audio A7X + Sub10, AKG K271 mkII, TC Electronic Konnekt 24D, Steinberg UR22, Audix D2, D4, D6, i5, ADX-51, Sennheiser e614, 2x Shure SM137, Røde NT1-A, DPA 4099 S/U, Roland FC-300, Steinberg CC121, Yamaha KX49

cacophonix

Post by cacophonix »

Hello,

I own a CC121 too, and I am very disapointed: I would like very much, like you, to be able to control different CC with the fader (like the tempo fader in the tempo track)... No luck :-(

I guess it is a feature request :-)

BluntInstrument

Post by BluntInstrument »

I just picked up a used one literally yesterday.
Could you not use the AI button for this function?
What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

valsolim

Post by valsolim »

Hello,

I have found out that the CC121 fader actually sends pitchbend messages. The effective resolution of this fader is 1024 values which is quite fine. Therefore, the workaround for using the CC121 controller to control other parameters than the volume is to use another application (Plogue Bidule, for instance), a virtual MIDI cable, and Generic Remote within Cubase. In Bidule you can transform the incoming pitchbend messages to any CC event you wish, then you send them via the virtual MIDI cable into Cubase, and there you can use the Generic Remote setting to control an arbitrary Cubase parameter.

Best regards
--
Miloslav
Cubase Pro 11, Dorico Pro 3.5, HALion 6, WaveLab Pro 10, Windows 10, Plogue Bidule, Cognitone Synfire, Celemony Melodyne, MeldaProduction, ToneBoosters, Voxengo, Steinberg MR816csx, Presonus DigiMax FS, ART HeadAmp 6 Pro, IK Multimedia ARC 2, Adam Audio A7X + Sub10, AKG K271 mkII, TC Electronic Konnekt 24D, Steinberg UR22, Audix D2, D4, D6, i5, ADX-51, Sennheiser e614, 2x Shure SM137, Røde NT1-A, DPA 4099 S/U, Roland FC-300, Steinberg CC121, Yamaha KX49

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,
BluntInstrument wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:07 pm
Could you not use the AI button for this function?
Yes, you can use AI Knob for this.
valsolim wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:02 pm
I have found out that the CC121 fader actually sends pitchbend messages. The effective resolution of this fader is 1024 values which is quite fine. Therefore, the workaround for using the CC121 controller to control other parameters than the volume is to use another application (Plogue Bidule, for instance), a virtual MIDI cable, and Generic Remote within Cubase. In Bidule you can transform the incoming pitchbend messages to any CC event you wish, then you send them via the virtual MIDI cable into Cubase, and there you can use the Generic Remote setting to control an arbitrary Cubase parameter.
The problem here is, you would need to remove CC121 from Cubase. Otherwise you would always control the Volume by moving the fader. Cubase assign CC121 automatically during every single start. So you would need to remove it anytime you start Cubase again and again.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Return to “Steinberg CC121”