Cubase ARA with Melodyne: tempo detection / audio to MIDI functions are missing

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
hesca116

Re: Cubase ARA with Melodyne: tempo detection / audio to MIDI functions are missing

Post by hesca116 »

Puma0382 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:26 pm
hesca116 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:19 pm
However, when the material doesn't include clear transients the tempo detection precision goes down the toilet. You are obligated to use a track with clear transients.
And yet, there again, I'm looking hard at that screenshot @Rhino posted above... Hmm... ;)
Goodness, you are right. Why is tempo detection so inconsistent?

Anyway, I will have to settle with exporting a MIDI tempo map from Melodyne and moving it over to Cubase. There is a preference you need to disable in order for that to work (thanks to Hippo for this tip)

viewtopic.php?p=883330#p883330

Rhino

Re: Cubase ARA with Melodyne: tempo detection / audio to MIDI functions are missing

Post by Rhino »

---
Last edited by Rhino on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

Rhino wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm
hesca116 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:46 pm
Anyway, I will have to settle with exporting a MIDI tempo map from Melodyne and moving it over to Cubase. There is a preference you need to disable in order for that to work (thanks to Hippo for this tip)
viewtopic.php?p=883330#p883330
thanks, I knew that all along.
it's a bit problematic, as it also affects MIDI drag'n'drop from Superior, EzKeys etc, where you absolutely don't want the embedded tempo to mess with your own song tempo.
so you can only enable this setting temporarily, and hope you don't forget to set it back. :?
So normally the checkbox for this setting is checked (enabled) such that you Ignore Master Track Events on Merge, when working with Superior, EZKeys etc,.. @Hippo was suggesting you uncheck/disable that setting in this instance, when importing a tempo map generated from Melodyne…

So, maybe a bit less onerous, when you know you're only switching it off once to do the import, then immediately go and switch it back on... maybe...? ;) :)
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20 (and C11 testing), WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

hesca116

Post by hesca116 »

Rhino wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm
please let me know how the standalone thing works for you - afaics Melodyne doesn't respect "empty space" at the beginning of a file and starts its tempo map at the first transient - this opens up a new can of worms - alignment of the imported tempo track. :shock:
if you find a strategy to take manual guesswork reliably out of the equation - I'm all ears ! :ugeek:
Well, I haven´t fiddled with tempo import a lot, but what you´re saying is consistent with my experience. There's a little deviation on the tempo. In Melodyne it feels spot on perfect, and then when you import it to Cubase, it falls behind a tiny bit.

What a bummer...

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

---
Last edited by Rhino on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

---
(George R.R. Martin)

hesca116

Post by hesca116 »

I haven´t tried this, but maybe by extracting the tempo from one specific track in Melodyne and then using that same track as reference within Cubase, we could find the exact deviation and use the keyboard shortcut for "locate next hitpoint" to test if the location of the first hitpoint is the ideal place to cut and move the event to make it coincide with the imported tempo.

Does that make sense?

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

---
(George R.R. Martin)

hesca116

Post by hesca116 »

It looks like a solid plan Rhino. We could even try to squeeze everything into an AHK macro that triggers Cubase's macros.
In my opinion, the trickiest part is to move the events to whichever position is necessary. Doing this through a macro, I don´t know how it would be possible.
Trial and error I guess.

hesca116

Post by hesca116 »

Maybe we could even automate some parts via Project Logical Editor.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

---
Last edited by Rhino on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(George R.R. Martin)

hesca116

Post by hesca116 »

Sounds like you're up to something here. I will hold my breath in the meantime :)

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

---
(George R.R. Martin)

hesca116

Post by hesca116 »

Hello Rhino, that sounds amazing.

How do you make sure the first transient is at zero in Melodyne? Copy a blob to that position?

I didn't understand under which circumstances you have to "kill via task manager". What do you kill? and when?

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

---
(George R.R. Martin)

hesca116

Post by hesca116 »

Wow, when a process requires murder on the task manager, it makes me feel uneasy. Like breaking a window to get into the bus.

Steinberg, why u no make a door for us?
(hilarity ensues)

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

---
(George R.R. Martin)

skillet

Post by skillet »

hesca116 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:39 pm

2. Audio to MIDI. In Cubase you have to export the MIDI from Melodyne and then reimport it back to Cubase. Studio ONE allows to drag-and-drop to convert audio to MIDI. Will anything like this be featured in Cubase?

Here is how it works on Studio One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1FKDtfiUs&t=10m20s

I know Cubase converts audio to MIDI, but DNA takes this function to a whole other level. Same with tempo detection.

Thanks!
This is exactly what I came looking for. I just spent a while looking at how to get Studio One, I was so hoping for this feature with ARA to drag and drop Melodyne files to MIDI track. I really hope Steinberg improves the integration of ARA. The tempo detection would be great as well this is the very thing that VST and ARA free up others to do without Steinberg having to do everything!
macOS 10.14.6 | Mac Pro (Late 2013) | Processor: 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 | Memory: 32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

Cubase 10.5.20 | Nuendo 10.2 | WaveLab Pro 10 | Pro Tools 20.3 | Logic 10.4.8

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR44 | MIDI Interface:MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV; MIDIMan 1x1 | MIDI Keyboard: Alesis QS8.2; Kork Nano Key | Control Surface: MCU (Mackie Control Universal); Korg Nano Kontrol; PreSonus FaderPort; Shuttle Pro 2; CC 121; FD Fader Controller; Softube Console 1

skillet

Post by skillet »

hesca116 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:39 pm

2. Audio to MIDI. In Cubase you have to export the MIDI from Melodyne and then reimport it back to Cubase. Studio ONE allows to drag-and-drop to convert audio to MIDI. Will anything like this be featured in Cubase?

Here is how it works on Studio One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1FKDtfiUs&t=10m20s

I know Cubase converts audio to MIDI, but DNA takes this function to a whole other level. Same with tempo detection.

Thanks!
This is exactly what I came looking for. I just spent a while looking at how to get Studio One, I was so hoping for this feature with ARA to drag and drop Melodyne files to MIDI track. I really hope Steinberg improves the integration of ARA. The tempo detection would be great as well this is the very thing that VST and ARA free up others to do without Steinberg having to do everything!
macOS 10.14.6 | Mac Pro (Late 2013) | Processor: 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 | Memory: 32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR44 | MIDI Interface:MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV; MIDIMan 1x1 | MIDI Keyboard: Alesis QS8.2; Kork Nano Key | Control Surface: MCU (Mackie Control Universal); Korg Nano Kontrol; PreSonus FaderPort; Shuttle Pro 2; CC 121; FD Fader Controller; Softube Console 1

skillet

Post by skillet »

Is there any reason that you can't just import a tempo map into an old session and save it as a new tempo track? Why the hoops to have to import it into a new session and then export the tempo track and import the tempo track into a new session and then lose the tempo maps you have already done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZltzxPuEvI

Return to “General”