Monitoring during recording in Cubase 10

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
DavidC

Re: Monitoring during recording in Cubase 10

Post by DavidC » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:48 am

Maybe I'm completely missing the point here, but can't you just select "While Record Running" as the Auto Monitoring Type in Preferences - VST. Then set the left locator at bar5, and if you need a punch out point, set the right locator at the punch out point. Enable Punch-In (and Punch-Out if desired) on the transport bar, then enable record on the track, but do NOT enable monitor. Then instead of recording, play back the track. You will hear the track playing until it gets to bar5 at which point the monitoring icon will light up and monitoring and recording will begin. There are options for stopping the recording (and monitoring) and resume normal playback or to stop everything at the punch out point.

Again, apologies if I am way off base,
DavidC

Arionas

Post by Arionas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:30 am

DavidC wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:48 am
Maybe I'm completely missing the point here, but can't you just select "While Record Running" as the Auto Monitoring Type in Preferences - VST. Then set the left locator at bar5, and if you need a punch out point, set the right locator at the punch out point. Enable Punch-In (and Punch-Out if desired) on the transport bar, then enable record on the track, but do NOT enable monitor. Then instead of recording, play back the track. You will hear the track playing until it gets to bar5 at which point the monitoring icon will light up and monitoring and recording will begin. There are options for stopping the recording (and monitoring) and resume normal playback or to stop everything at the punch out point.

Again, apologies if I am way off base,
DavidC
What I want, is just to be able to listen always to the live input of a record armed track who runs - even if it's on playback or even it is on recording state.
Cubase Pro 10.5 - Wavelab 10 - Nuendo 4 - Reaper 5 - Pro Tools 12 - Logic X - Harrison Mixbus
Mac Pro 2010, 3.33 x2, 12 cores - High Sierra - RME Fireface 802

Arionas

Post by Arionas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:38 am

raino wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 pm
Arionas wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:19 pm
From what I understand from your post, this workaround it may helps.
Except it is not a "workaround" this is the intended design. The MixConsole uses hardware mixing boards as the underlying metaphor in the design. In hardware you'd do this using routing. Cubase does the same using virtual routing.
I understand what you say and I agree - but I used the word "workaround" because at the other DAWS I mentioned earlier, I can do this monitoring feature with just a single click of a button at the desired channel(s).
Cubase Pro 10.5 - Wavelab 10 - Nuendo 4 - Reaper 5 - Pro Tools 12 - Logic X - Harrison Mixbus

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:11 am

Arionas wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:38 am
raino wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 pm
Arionas wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:19 pm
From what I understand from your post, this workaround it may helps.
Except it is not a "workaround" this is the intended design. The MixConsole uses hardware mixing boards as the underlying metaphor in the design. In hardware you'd do this using routing. Cubase does the same using virtual routing.
I understand what you say and I agree - but I used the word "workaround" because at the other DAWS I mentioned earlier, I can do this monitoring feature with just a single click of a button at the desired channel(s).
I understand, and that is totally deserving of a feature request which I encourage you to make. But right here, right now this is how it works.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:42 am

Arionas wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:38 am
... at the other DAWS I mentioned earlier, I can do this monitoring feature with just a single click of a button at the desired channel(s).
Actually in Cubase I can do the same with a single click too. Now I couldn't do that the very first time, but the second, third, and 127th time I can do it with one click.

Cubase takes an almost philosophically different approach than some other DAWs. Some features require a bit of setup before you can initially use them. But for the cost of that extra setup you typically get a lot of flexibility. For example when I'm recording my own voice what I want to hear in my phones is the vocal mic signal with a bunch of compression (so I can really really hear it) and then swamped in reverb (so I can pretend I have a stunning voice). Neither of these things are what I would ever want on the actual track. I only want them in my monitors. So yeah it took me a 15 minutes or whatever to initially set that up in a template, but that is a one time effort. After that one click to unmute and it is good to go.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

strummer

Post by strummer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:23 am

Arionas wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:17 pm
GlennO wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 pm
raino wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:22 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes this exactly.

All my templates have an Input Monitor that sits on the left right next to all the inputs.

It is super easy to use. By default it monitors the main vocal mic input. To use it I turn its Mute Button off. That's it.

If I want to monitor a different input, then just change the routing. If you frequently want to monitor several sources put several of these in your template. It is also configured with a reverb send, Tuner Insert, and compressor that can be enabled if I want to hear that in my phones.

This is the EZ way to have set & (mostly) forget monitoring from within Cubase.
Yes, as is so often the case in these situations, it _can_ be done in Cubase, but it might require some preparation :). But, as you say, doing it this way actually has some advantages.
Well... in my case it's not so easy because I mainly record groups (drums, bass guitar. violin, vocals etc) so many times I have to deal with more than 12 tracks simultaneously to record. Many times they ask me to go back and punch in bla bla..
In a pro situation you have to respond quickly to client's needs.
Can someone suggest me where I can request Steinberg to add this feature? Is there any specified place where Steinberg watch requests from clients?
So here is what I do when that happens (which is all the time when recording bads...)
Rickt click on the channel to be punched in, choose copy without audio and the use this new channel to record the punch in to. Then, when you have a good take just drag the new part to the old track and it's done. Then delete the now empty track.
Laptop Win 10, i7-4700MQ, 16 GB ram, SSD, Cubase pro 10, Steinberg UR824, 2 x Presonus Digimax D8, microphones:)

Arionas

Post by Arionas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 am

Guys I really appreciate your comments and help.

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Great thread, everyone. Thanks!

Rodger, you have saved me, literally, years in terms of understanding how to actually use Cubase.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

gamelany

Post by gamelany » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:40 pm

Great!! I immediately changed my template - Thanks to raino!

01w

Post by 01w » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Presonus Studio One has zero Latency monitoring option, and Logic has this option too.
You can monitor thru Software with effects at (nearly) zero latency.
Desktop:
Windows 10 x64. i7-8700k, Corsair 32GB, Gigabyte Z390 X, Samsung 970 2TB m.2 ssd, Samsung evo 850 2TB sata ssd.
Laptop:
2012 MacBook Pro, HighSierra, 2.3ghz QuadCore i7, 8GB Ram, 2TB SSD

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:54 pm

Same as Cubase, they are not better/faster in that regard. Still AD/DA and DSP calculations taking time to process.
Near zero latency, yes. They all should be able to do that by now.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Arionas

Post by Arionas » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:40 pm

raino wrote:
GlennO wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:09 pm
Yes, that's a handy feature in Logic. AFAIK, you can't do that in Cubase. What you have to do is create a second audio track which shares the same input as the one you're recording into and turn on monitoring for that second track. In other words, create a track that is only used for monitoring.
Yes this exactly.

All my templates have an Input Monitor that sits on the left right next to all the inputs.

It is super easy to use. By default it monitors the main vocal mic input. To use it I turn its Mute Button off. That's it.

If I want to monitor a different input, then just change the routing. If you frequently want to monitor several sources put several of these in your template. It is also configured with a reverb send, Tuner Insert, and compressor that can be enabled if I want to hear that in my phones.

Well, it worked and actually very well and I'm already recording daily many multi-mic live performances using the way you described.
thanks again! :)

brycem

Post by brycem » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:58 am

raino wrote:
GlennO wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:09 pm
Yes, that's a handy feature in Logic. AFAIK, you can't do that in Cubase. What you have to do is create a second audio track which shares the same input as the one you're recording into and turn on monitoring for that second track. In other words, create a track that is only used for monitoring.
Yes this exactly.

This is a great tip, thanks for sharing!

After years of doing analog headphone sends on consoles, I recently tried using control room when tracking a band in a studio I hadn't used before, and encountered the same difficulties as the OP. If I'd had my lateral thinking brain switched on and come up with this solution, the session would have been so much smoother for me and the band :)
Cubase 10, Wavelab 9.5, Windows 10, UAD Quad, 2x RME Hdspe AES, 2x Lynx Aurora, i7 8700k, asus rog maximus x hero

Return to “General”