Page 1 of 1

Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:08 pm
by fenderchris
Does anybody know why we have suddenly been given 16 Inserts?

Was 8 per track not enough?

Is anyone using more than 8 Inserts per track?

I don't think this has been a feature request, although I could be wrong.

Personally, I have never used anything close to 8 inserts on a track - If it had got to that point I would have considered re-recording the track first. In any event, if I did ever need more than 8 Inserts on a track I could simply create a Group track (called something like 'Extra Inserts) route my original track to it and add more Insert to the Group Track - and in theory repeat on and on for unlimited inserts!

This increase to 16 Inserts seemed to pop up out of the blue, while I and others have been requesting more Cue Sends for years, and been completely ignored, even though it was promised for the N8 life-cycle. Perhaps they'll show up in N10. Who knows.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:14 pm
by MattiasNYC
I actually think it was a request. But likely it was more on the Cubase side of things where I guess there's more mangling of sound on a single channel, as opposed to post.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:33 pm
by Getalife2
It was a consistent and somewhat popular request primarily from sound designers who regularly torture original Source material into something completely different for a specific need in matching a visual.
.
In a video post setting it makes a lot of sense for those users.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:27 am
by Tumppi Järnefelt
I think it should be a user choice wether to have 8 or 16 inserts. Or make it in two layers that can be opened separately.
16 for me is just way too much and consumes to much space in UI.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:25 am
by deneverstudio
For some things is not enought 8 insert slot.
So, 16 is is very good.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:32 pm
by Tumppi Järnefelt
PT way of having two different slots is good.
In Nuendo this would be like first 1-8 in first "slot", 9-16 in second.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:19 pm
by fenderchris
Tumppi Järnefelt wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:27 am
I think it should be a user choice wether to have 8 or 16 inserts. Or make it in two layers that can be opened separately.
16 for me is just way too much and consumes to much space in UI.
That would work for me too - 8 is more than enough for me, and as I initially said, if I ever needed more, Group tracks allow for an infinite number of Inserts to be added. In fact, given that Group tracks already existed, it seems to me rather unnecessary to have gone to the bother of increasing from 8 to 16 insert slots when there really was no limit anyway.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:07 pm
by twelvetwelve
Tumppi Järnefelt wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:27 am
I think it should be a user choice wether to have 8 or 16 inserts. Or make it in two layers that can be opened separately.
16 for me is just way too much and consumes to much space in UI.
Don't use the fixed insert view and it will only show as many as needed.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:32 pm
by Tumppi Järnefelt
twelvetwelve wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:07 pm
Tumppi Järnefelt wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:27 am
I think it should be a user choice wether to have 8 or 16 inserts. Or make it in two layers that can be opened separately.
16 for me is just way too much and consumes to much space in UI.
Don't use the fixed insert view and it will only show as many as needed.
How in project window?

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:48 pm
by twelvetwelve
I don't think it's possible in the project window. I must admit I usually live in the mixer window and with a high resolution screen it's no problem in the project window either.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:51 pm
by Tumppi Järnefelt
For me sound design and sound editing overall is done in project window.
Mixing is different but still very much based tonproject window.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:22 am
by uarte
I think it makes a lot of sense to make it 16 inserts, especially because of the flexible pre/post fader divider. Gives a lot more flexibility, even if you never use the inserts. Also, just from a marketing standpoint, it wouldn't make much sense to increase from 8 to 10 or 8 to 12 for example... that seems kind of lame. So why not go all the way to 16 since that's a nice double of what was there before. "Double the inserts with flexible pre/post fader divider" sounds more impressive. And besides that, computer number schemes often follow the power of 2, so it's so common for programmers to think in intervals of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc...

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:28 am
by Sunshy
+1 Keep the 16 inserts, but make them dynamic so more slots appear as you add more inserts. I only use a few and don’t like scrolling down in the mixer window.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 am
by mitchiemasha
Because people kept bashing on at Steinberg to do it. How did you miss that? where have you been? It was one of the most requested requests.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:28 am
by fenderchris
mitchiemasha wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 am
Because people kept bashing on at Steinberg to do it. How did you miss that? where have you been? It was one of the most requested requests.
Well I searched the Nuendo forum and didn't find any requests for 'more inserts'.

I've been to lots of places. Have you been anywhere?

😉

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:45 am
by Tumppi Järnefelt
fenderchris wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:28 am
mitchiemasha wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 am
Because people kept bashing on at Steinberg to do it. How did you miss that? where have you been? It was one of the most requested requests.
Well I searched the Nuendo forum and didn't find any requests for 'more inserts'.

I've been to lots of places. Have you been anywhere?

😉
Exactly

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:00 am
by TimoWildenhain
fenderchris wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:08 pm
Does anybody know why we have suddenly been given 16 Inserts?

Was 8 per track not enough?

Is anyone using more than 8 Inserts per track?

I don't think this has been a feature request, although I could be wrong.

Personally, I have never used anything close to 8 inserts on a track - If it had got to that point I would have considered re-recording the track first. In any event, if I did ever need more than 8 Inserts on a track I could simply create a Group track (called something like 'Extra Inserts) route my original track to it and add more Insert to the Group Track - and in theory repeat on and on for unlimited inserts!

This increase to 16 Inserts seemed to pop up out of the blue, while I and others have been requesting more Cue Sends for years, and been completely ignored, even though it was promised for the N8 life-cycle. Perhaps they'll show up in N10. Who knows.
It has been a feature request, definitely.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:19 am
by fenderchris
TimoWildenhain wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:00 am
fenderchris wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:08 pm
Does anybody know why we have suddenly been given 16 Inserts?

Was 8 per track not enough?

Is anyone using more than 8 Inserts per track?

I don't think this has been a feature request, although I could be wrong.

Personally, I have never used anything close to 8 inserts on a track - If it had got to that point I would have considered re-recording the track first. In any event, if I did ever need more than 8 Inserts on a track I could simply create a Group track (called something like 'Extra Inserts) route my original track to it and add more Insert to the Group Track - and in theory repeat on and on for unlimited inserts!

This increase to 16 Inserts seemed to pop up out of the blue, while I and others have been requesting more Cue Sends for years, and been completely ignored, even though it was promised for the N8 life-cycle. Perhaps they'll show up in N10. Who knows.
It has been a feature request, definitely.
Hi Timo,

So has more Cue Sends.

🙂

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:30 pm
by mitchiemasha
fenderchris wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:28 am
mitchiemasha wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 am
Because people kept bashing on at Steinberg to do it. How did you miss that? where have you been? It was one of the most requested requests.
Well I searched the Nuendo forum and didn't find any requests for 'more inserts'.

I've been to lots of places. Have you been anywhere?

😉
Clearly I've been too many places and somewhere I shouldn't... I've just realised this is the Nuedo forum. I use the new posts tab and it shows us everything. My bad, it's been a serious feature request for Cubase for a long time.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:42 pm
by fenderchris
mitchiemasha wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:30 pm
fenderchris wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:28 am
mitchiemasha wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 am
Because people kept bashing on at Steinberg to do it. How did you miss that? where have you been? It was one of the most requested requests.
Well I searched the Nuendo forum and didn't find any requests for 'more inserts'.

I've been to lots of places. Have you been anywhere?

😉
Clearly I've been too many places and somewhere I shouldn't... I've just realised this is the Nuedo forum. I use the new posts tab and it shows us everything. My bad, it's been a serious feature request for Cubase for a long time.
Cubase! - I'm afraid I don't mix in those circles.🙂

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 am
by mitchiemasha
Well... it answers your question. You got that because Cubase users asked for it.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:59 am
by clonewar
Besides being a user feature request, PT has 15 inserts and I’m sure that the additional inserts in Nuendo will make it easier for some PT users to switch.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am
by PeterGx
PT has 10 inserts.

Re: Why 16 Inserts now?

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:38 pm
by clonewar
PeterGx wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am
PT has 10 inserts.
Yeah you’re right, I had it confused with Logic. Either way, Cubendo offers more inserts than both of them now, and neither of them have post fader inserts. I think it’s a nice feature upgrade.