Nuendo 10 The Landmark Release - official preview

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
Luis Dongo

Re: Nuendo 10 The Landmark Release - official preview

Post by Luis Dongo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:47 pm

ChrisPolus wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:31 pm
@Fredo. Is that you in the N10 announcement video?
Hi Chris,

in this video you can see our beloved Fredo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAeVXlYaiDc&t=7s

Have a great weekend!
Luis Dongo
Marketing Manager - Pro Audio

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud.

Dietz

Post by Dietz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 pm

I would be very happy to finally see Sonogram-style wave displays directly on the tracks of the project window ... this was suggested the first time for the NU3, AFAIR. *sigh*
/Dietz

| audio | engineering | music | production |
| soundware | development |

| Nuendo versions from 5.5.6 to 10.2.0 | on various systems and platforms |
| Steinberg user since the 80ies | Nuendo user and forum member since 2000 |

Robin Walsh

Post by Robin Walsh » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 am

Luis Dongo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:47 pm
ChrisPolus wrote:
Hi Chris,

in this video you can see our beloved Fredo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAeVXlYaiDc&t=7s

Have a great weekend!
Great stuff Fredo!!!
Nuendo 10.02 - Windows 10 - i9 9900K - nVidia GeForce 1060 - RME Raydat - Amphion

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:39 am

Luis Dongo wrote:
Where in this video are the popcorn silos?
And where are Fredo's giant listening ears from his forum avatar?

Nice video!
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

chetd

Post by chetd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:51 pm

I say this respectfully and with hopefulness and optimism,..
For those of us that have been with with NU since ver.1, It seems rational to wonder if there will be an upgrade path (I'm on 8 personally), to 10 that "reflects" the lower pricing" atraction for a new user that may be purchasing NU 10 outright (ie; without purchasing as an upgrade).
Fingers crossed that decency, and a little fairness prevail.

dr

Post by dr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Agreed - seems to a big discrepancy between the upgrade from ANY cubase version (4 and above) to get Nuendo 8 than it is for most current nuendo users to upgrade to nuendo 8.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_p ... ndo-8.html

A bit of slap for loyal nuendo users IMO - hopefully this will be adressed when N10 is formally announced.

uarte

Post by uarte » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 pm

I'm betting the Nuendo 6-7-8 -> Nuendo 10 upgrade prices will be slightly reduced this round. That would be consistent with their main pricing announcement and go along with their initial "thank you" statement:
TimoWildenhain wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:33 pm
With Nuendo 10, we'd like to say "thank you" to all long-time users and members of the Nuendo family who are with us since the early days, as well as to those who joined just recently.
We may not know the upgrade prices until N10 is actually released, but it does seem logical they'll cut everyone a reasonable deal. Who knows? Crossing fingers.

dr

Post by dr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:28 pm

Maybe but they’re not doing that for N8 - and Timo has said that we’re now effectively in a grace period as current upgrades will be eligible for N10. So these actually ARE N10 licenses. It would be odd and annoying for people who have recently upgraded/crossgraded if SB bring the prices down further when N10 is released.

Hopefully I’m wrong - although I think it would be good for SB to make an official statement about this.

uarte

Post by uarte » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:27 am

dr wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:28 pm
Maybe but they’re not doing that for N8 - and Timo has said that we’re now effectively in a grace period as current upgrades will be eligible for N10. So these actually ARE N10 licenses. It would be odd and annoying for people who have recently upgraded/crossgraded if SB bring the prices down further when N10 is released.

Hopefully I’m wrong - although I think it would be good for SB to make an official statement about this.
Good points. Hmmm... I think you're right, and it would be good to get a statement from Steinberg for those who are considering upgrading from N7 and earlier. The N8 people can't upgrade now anyway, obviously, but would be nice to get a statement from Steinberg on this overall topic, just to spare us all of the many speculative posts in every forum until May (or whenever N10 is released). :D

Anyway, it's clear this is going to be a big release, and the customer upgrade stats will likely be a lot higher than usual for Steinberg. I've already crossgraded a Cubase license to N8 (goodbye Cubase license!), and now I'm looking forward to having two licenses of Nuendo 10 in the studio. So Steinberg already has $390 from me this month + another $200-$250? upgrade for the second license in May. Makes me wonder how much I've spent on Steinberg over the years... not sure I want to do the math... but on the other hand, it's still a lost less than I've spent on Pro Tools. :shock:

Man I hope Nuendo 10 is good. It feels strange not to have a Cubase license anymore. I hope they really do synchronize the development schedules and I hope the lag time between new Cubase features and Nuendo updates is significantly shorter like they've said.

Now please ignore the rest of my post if you are not interested in sentimental or introspective ramblings... :D Maybe a couple of people might feel something similar. Maybe not. And my ramblings below are relevant at least to the broad concept of the OP -- that Nuendo is a "landmark" release.

----------------------

In all honesty, it really does feel like a "landmark" release. It actually feels like my studio is changing... I feel like I'm closing a long chapter and starting a new one. Not quite sure why it feels like that... after all, it's still Steinberg (for good and bad), but things now feel different with the Nuendo 10 release. Maybe it will be a disaster (I doubt it) or maybe it will be incredible (I also doubt it)... but I still feel like a big change is happening. While I still use several DAWs here, including Pro Tools (less and less) and Bitwig (mostly for fun) and Reaper (for dialog editing) and yes, even the other excellent Hamburg DAW -- Studio One -- (for various songwriting projects)... I can't help but feel my studio is changing... and maybe I'll even start using Steinberg for songwriting again... who knows?

It just feels strangely hopeful.

I'm even starting to become conflicted about Studio One. BTW, I bought Studio One during one of my most frustrating moments with Cubase, after a good friend of mine (and a former Cubase user) recommended I give it a try. And I discovered that Studio One was excellent in its workflow, and I have enjoyed moving several projects over to it, including some very big jobs that clients had no idea weren't done in Pro Tools or Cubendo. It did amazingly well for certain projects, so I have huge respect for the other Hamburg developers for what they've accomplished. I will continue to upgrade my Studio One license since there are many outstanding features that allow me to get from scratchpad to final product very quickly, compared to other DAWs.

Studio One felt like the direction Cubase should have been going in several areas, and I have to admit that Studio One saved my neck several times with clients. Of course, it's not designed to be a dedicated post production DAW like Nuendo, and of course it's missing certain composer-related features that Cubase has pioneered for years, and it isn't a "standard" (whatever that means) in studios like Pro Tools is (although more and more people I know are switching to it). So I would still do certain tasks in Nuendo (or Pro Tools), but I found Studio One to be very capable in many areas, even with sound design, and it took over many jobs that would normally have been done in Cubase.

However, when Steinberg released Cubase 10, it was clear to me that Steinberg had turned a corner in the right direction, almost as if they were paying attention to their customers and the market! So I started to consider moving some projects back to Cubase... but yet, I was still hesitant. I upgraded to Cubase 10, tested it, worked with it, was impressed... somewhat hopeful...

But then when the Nuendo 10 feature list was announced, honestly, I felt a sense of relief. As if Steinberg's vision had finally become focused and committed in a direction I liked, and when they announced that they had been synchronizing the development calendars (finally!) of Cubase + Nuendo, the conflict I felt between maintaining both licenses of Cubase and Nuendo, juggling projects and feature gaps, could finally end, and I could just focus on Nuendo. And also... I could finally let go of Cubase. And that was also a relief. And with some key post features I have seriously wanted for a long time, I could also make a final push to phase out Pro Tools to the bare minimum, and go all in on Nuendo for post production and sound design. It was like I could let go of two other DAWs at last!

I think I might be able to finally phase out Reaper too (although it's hard to beat for dialog editing -- if only Steinberg would finally add true ripple editing). Now that would be amazing to get rid of Reaper as well. That would leave me just with Nuendo, Studio One and Bitwig. It feels good to simplify my life a bit... and downsize these DAWs I've been maintaining. I'll keep Bitwig since it's very inspirational for creative exploration. And I'll keep Studio One since the workflow for songwriting is just enjoyable to me (with the glaring exception of the lack of articulation management). However, with Nuendo 10, Steinberg appears to have taken some good notes from their Hamburg cousins, and for me, wiped out any final justification I need to keep Pro Tools in my workflow. If clients complain, my justification for Nuendo will be much more confident. When I crush with ARA + Synchro Arts and render out video and manage ADR better and deal with field recording, etc., in one place -- they won't even ask for me to use Pro Tools again (I hope). At least not my current clients. :) And I'm now even tempted to move some songwriting back to Steinberg. What?!?! I didn't expect that.

So this does really feel like a "landmark" change for my studio TBH. While I'll keep using Studio One for certain projects because I *enjoy* it, plus Bitwig because I *enjoy* it, I also feel like I might even be able to *enjoy* my post production workflow again as well... this Nuendo 10 release answers many frustrations I've been having (at least on paper), and I feel ready (and hopeful) to finally say goodbye to a lot of what I've been doing in the past. (Sayonara, Pro Tools!). And now it is dawning on me that this is why this release feels so different to me... it's about actual "enjoyment" and hope. I warned you about the sentimental nature of this post! ;)

When was the last time I "enjoyed" the technical side of my DAW software instead of constantly wrestling with it? It's been YEARS because I feel like I've constantly been fighting between apps due to issues or features or conflicts or standards or workflow, etc... But now, I think I have a chance to bring some actual enjoyment to the technical side of things. And not just enjoyment... but simplification of old workflows and convoluted processes I used to have. At least here's to hoping.

Apologies for the long exposition... it's actually helped me figure out why I'm so excited about this release. I'm also realistic, and I know it will be far from perfect. But now, after a long time, I'm actually feeling some real clarity in my studio, like I finally know where certain puzzle pieces are more naturally supposed to fit... instead of forcing things into apps or workflows that gave me headaches and stress. Sure, this could be a mess of a release and my hopes could crumble, but I think there's something really good here.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.

Cheers!

WZK

Post by WZK » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Reaper has some very great feartures for game audio such as lable processor, region matrix, ripple editing, easy copy & paste tracks among different projects. Hope Nuendo can have these features one day....

uarte

Post by uarte » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:30 pm

WZK wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:12 pm
Reaper has some very great feartures for game audio such as lable processor, region matrix, ripple editing, easy copy & paste tracks among different projects. Hope Nuendo can have these features one day....
I don't do game audio, but I'm also a fan of some of the features in Reaper that I would love to see in Nuendo -- their ripple editing is the smoothest, best version of ripple editing of any DAW IMO. And my favorite feature of Reaper is their dead simple but super powerful nested subprojects... just incredible for certain workflows, and it would be fantastic for post production, sound design and film scoring for Cubase/Nuendo. I agree the other features you mentioned would be good in Nuendo too for many workflows.

However, I ran into so many other issues with Reaper over the years (despite the excellent help from some forum members and developer), that sadly, Reaper has been resigned to just dialog editing for me (again, due to the excellent ripple editing). As a risky (and ultimately misguided) experiment, I tried finishing a feature film in Reaper, but halfway through it turned into a disaster, unfortunately. Had to abandon ship for anything massive and mission critical.

Steinberg is clearly willing to go look at other products for ideas and inspiration, though, and hopefully they'll spend more time with Reaper to see why some of those ideas/features could benefit all Nuendo users.

GTBannah

Post by GTBannah » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 pm

Luis Dongo wrote:
ChrisPolus wrote:
Hi Chris,

Have a great weekend!
Hi, Fredo!
Derrkins

If that's really what you hear, Play It, Sing It, Write It or Program It!

Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM; OS X Mojave 10.14.5; Nuendo 8.3.20.345; Sibelius 7.5; iPad Pro 13"; Cubasis, WaveLab 9.00; Dorico V2.2.0.1108 (Loving it).

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:44 pm

uarte wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:27 am
And now it is dawning on me that this is why this release feels so different to me... it's about actual "enjoyment" and hope.
Although not everybody is "in for the enjoyment" of software, and only cares about if a job can get done, no matter what workarounds or roadblocks you have to circumnavigate, I'm a huge proponent of "software has to be a joy to use". I value usability and user experience very highly. If software doesn't put roadblocks at every corner, if you get to much used functions quickly, with one click instead of hovering through submenus and submenus, if you see there's a "workflow thinking" behind it and not just functionality crammed into multiple sub-menus, then it's starting to get really enjoyable. Doing work, staying in the zone, having FUN while at it. WHen it doesn't feel like "work" but really you enjoy using the tools. Then it becomes emotional. It especially becomes less frustrating. I don't think "frustration" is something you want your own software to be associated with. Anyway, "enjoying it" is something I would like more software to have. And if Nuendo 10 comes closer to that feeling and less creaky to use (studio connections forgotten, settings gone after updates, multiple different windows for similar tasks all of which work differently...) I'll take it!!
uarte wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:30 pm
Reaper is their dead simple but super powerful nested subprojects... just incredible for certain workflows
I use Reaper for many game projects. It's super fast to load and lightweight. I like many features of it. But their UI and plugins are "not enjoyable". I also didn't think it's fit for post. I love that tracks are type agnostic. Put video in, mono, stereo, surround, MIDI, Reaper doesn't care. No endless reconfiguring of tracks. Sub-projects are nice, too, although if you happen to delete sub-projects, Reaper has no idea it has to clean up the project directory and you'll be left with sub-project littered all over the place. I would be happy if Nuendo would learn the trick to create a "ghost clip" where you have items in a folder, so you just collapse the folder, select the clip or clips on the folded folder track, and could render those out like normal clips. No sub-projects or cycle regions needed.
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

Keyplayer

Post by Keyplayer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:25 pm

How much will this update widen the ever growing gap in lost EUCON features? Will it still work with I'd Controllers? How about Fairlight Controllers? Any gains on HUI/MACKIE protocols?
Nuendo 1.0 - 10 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |

uarte

Post by uarte » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:25 pm

Countdown to Musikmesse -- April 2-5 2019 -- Maybe Steinberg has some more info or clips to share with us about Nuendo 10? Can someone with an iPhone perhaps make a YouTube video of the Nuendo presentation?

taliosanchez

Post by taliosanchez » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 am

Please tell me that Nuendo 10 will have an option to do a pre-fader "render-in-place" :idea:

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 am

Is the "shortest path" right now post-fader or pre-inserts?
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

taliosanchez

Post by taliosanchez » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:02 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 am
Is the "shortest path" right now post-fader or pre-inserts?
Pre-inserts (Dry, it is called).

Sunshy

Post by Sunshy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:56 am

Are External FX getting the much needed overhaul in N10?
N 8.3 Cubase 10
Intel Core I7-3930K Sandy Bridge 3.8, 64 GB Corsair RAM, Itel 330 Series SSD Drive for OS, Win 10 Pro 64 bit
RME UFX, UR28M, CC 121, Blackmagic Intensity Pro

basicX

Post by basicX » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:23 pm

Very odd, no steinberg presentation of Nuendo 10 at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt.

Even the Yamaha guys had no glue at all...

Sad...
Nuendo 3 - 10.1, Cubase 10 Pro, PT 3 - 11.3.1, RME UFX, AVID HD Native, AVID HD I/O, AVID I/O192 (Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance Mega Pack, and so on...)

Windows 10 Pro x64
System from Digital Audio Networx
Intel i9 14core, Gigabyte, 64GB Ram, GF 1050ti, UAD Quad, 3 * Avid Artis Mix, Monitoring: Studio Technologie Model 74

Pro Audio broadcast post for german and international clients
www.media-atelier.tv

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:51 am

basicX wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:23 pm
I guess they didn't even stick around..!?
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Robin Walsh

Post by Robin Walsh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:19 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:51 am
basicX wrote:
:D
Nuendo 10.02 - Windows 10 - i9 9900K - nVidia GeForce 1060 - RME Raydat - Amphion

basicX

Post by basicX » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:49 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:51 am
basicX wrote:
:mrgreen: :lol: ...

sorry ... "clue" !
Nuendo 3 - 10.1, Cubase 10 Pro, PT 3 - 11.3.1, RME UFX, AVID HD Native, AVID HD I/O, AVID I/O192 (Plugins from Sonnox, Waves, iZotope, UAD, Plugin Alliance Mega Pack, and so on...)

Windows 10 Pro x64
System from Digital Audio Networx
Intel i9 14core, Gigabyte, 64GB Ram, GF 1050ti, UAD Quad, 3 * Avid Artis Mix, Monitoring: Studio Technologie Model 74

Pro Audio broadcast post for german and international clients
www.media-atelier.tv

Tumppi Järnefelt

Post by Tumppi Järnefelt » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:27 pm

I don’t know if this is all ready somewhere else but when talking about new location recorder workflow is it so that when splitting polyfiles, every new mono file will include correct track metadata? This is absolutely a must.

Bye Tumppi
Intel i7-7700 @3.6 GHz, Win10 home, 64bit
ADK laptop i7, Win7 64bit home
Nuendo 8.xx
Nuendo 10.xx
PT 12.5
RME FF800
DTouch
http://www.finnvox.fi/en/cinepost

Fredo
External Moderator