Nuendo 8 performs sluggish

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
linzevalk

Re: Nuendo 8 performs sluggish

Post by linzevalk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:52 am

I'd say update the drivers...

stilus

Post by stilus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Sorry, but there is no any other ATI Radeon HD 7950 for MAC drivers such as in macOS.
http://www.mmedia.si
Nuendo 10.2, WaveLab Pro 10 on Mac Pro 5.1 12-core, 64Gb RAM, 4x SSD, ATI HD7950 running macOS High Sierra 10.3.2
Yamaha DM2000 VCM / RME HDSPe RayDAT

stilus

Post by stilus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:48 pm

ATI 5770 vs ATI 7950 in the same Mac Pro 12-core 5.1:

https://youtu.be/w3zPn233vCI
https://youtu.be/tIvqb_Bu_Zg

I think it's 3 fps ... :/ Disaster.
Nuendo 10.2, WaveLab Pro 10 on Mac Pro 5.1 12-core, 64Gb RAM, 4x SSD, ATI HD7950 running macOS High Sierra 10.3.2

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Unfortunately, it does not appear to be a sticky in the forums but it is essential for Steinberg and the Users if they are trying to figure out what is going wrong and track bugs that you place the details of your computer setup in your signature. Your essential hardware and OS at a minimum. Such as...

Type of Motherboard (or prebuilt computer name and model), the CPU model number, amount of RAM, type of video card with amount of VRAM, the OS version & service packs if applicable.

This thread as case in point. People are focusing on the video card but it could very well be the OS that is at root of the problem. How is anyone to know? Please take the time to do it so people's time is not wasted and a quicker resolution can be found rather than continually questioning people about their setup.
Andrew
--
Nuendo 10.1.0
--
Hardware related to issue tracking:
ASUS P9x79, i7-3930K CPU OC to 4.05 khz, 64 GB, combination of SSDs & HDs, Blackmagic Decklink Card with HD-SDI Monitor used in Nuendo, Firewire Card, MOTU Traveler mkIII, GTX 580 2 GB of VRAM with 2 Monitors, NVIDIA Driver 390.41 WHQL running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with eLicenser & iLok dongles.

For Issue tracking, the MIDI controllers used:
Mackie MCU+C4, X-Touch Compact, X-Station, nanoKEY2 for key switching & Steinberg TP, CH & AI

For issue tracking, brands or software instruments & effects commonly used:
VEPro 7, Vienna Instruments 2, MIR Pro & Suite; script heavy Kontakt Libraries such as Spitfire, Heavyocity, NI, Soniccouture, Sound Dust, also UVI Falcon & rewired Ableton Live 10, Max 7, Melodyne and Reason 8. EFX often used are by Lexicon PCM Reverbs & Effects, FabFilter, IRCAM Spat, SoundToys, Brainworks, (iZotope RX punted to the sideline), Eventide, Waves plugins, etc.

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:49 am

For me, N8 performance is basically identical to N7. Running Nvidia video driving one 4K monitor and one 1080. Rest of specs are in my sig. All good here in terms of snappy GUI on N8.
N10.0.20 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

stilus

Post by stilus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:04 am

Getalife2 wrote:For me, N8 performance is basically identical to N7. Running Nvidia video driving one 4K monitor and one 1080. Rest of specs are in my sig. All good here in terms of snappy GUI on N8.
Maybe on Windows ... but not on MAC.

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:16 am

So confirmed two people running Windows 7, 64 bit with NVIDIA cards have Nuendo 8 running smoothly.

Still no issues with my system.
Andrew
--
Nuendo 10.1.0
--
ASUS P9x79, i7-3930K CPU OC to 4.05 khz, 64 GB, combination of SSDs & HDs, Blackmagic Decklink Card with HD-SDI Monitor used in Nuendo, Firewire Card, MOTU Traveler mkIII, GTX 580 2 GB of VRAM with 2 Monitors, NVIDIA Driver 390.41 WHQL running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with eLicenser & iLok dongles.

Mackie MCU+C4, X-Touch Compact, X-Station, nanoKEY2 for key switching & Steinberg TP, CH & AI

VEPro 7, Vienna Instruments 2, MIR Pro & Suite; script heavy Kontakt Libraries such as Spitfire, Heavyocity, NI, Soniccouture, Sound Dust, also UVI Falcon & rewired Ableton Live 10, Max 7, Melodyne and Reason 8. EFX often used are by Lexicon PCM Reverbs & Effects, FabFilter, IRCAM Spat, SoundToys, Brainworks, (iZotope RX punted to the sideline), Eventide, Waves plugins, etc.

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:26 am

stilus wrote:ATI 5770 vs ATI 7950 in the same Mac Pro 12-core 5.1:

https://youtu.be/w3zPn233vCI
https://youtu.be/tIvqb_Bu_Zg

I think it's 3 fps ... :/ Disaster.
OK. I have an almost prehistoric Cheesegrater Mac Pro 1,1 that came with an ATI 5770. Think that machine came out in 2006. I tried to run Premiere Pro on it back then which requires CUDA to run. I don't think OpenGL 2.0 was around then. The card completely choked on Premiere Pro. I upgraded with a newer card that ran CUDA (similar to OpenGL). The new video engine in Nuendo 8 appears to require OpenGL 2.0 compatibility based on the minimum specs. Have you checked to see if the 5770 meets the minimum specs? I am betting it doesn't.
Andrew
--
Nuendo 10.1.0
--

djgraver

Post by djgraver » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:12 pm

hello from Cubase user :D

we have same problem in C9, and Steinberg already knows about that problem, and working on fix.
for MacOS users its more critical then for WinOS: viewtopic.php?f=250&t=108500

also tread with all GUI bug's and glitches, and some fixes: viewtopic.php?f=250&t=108500

Pretty sure Cubase-Nuendo have same GUI bugs
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

linzevalk

Post by linzevalk » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:46 pm

The sluggish performance was easily solved here by updating my Nvidia cards drivers.
Config: Windows 7 SP1, HP Z820 2x Xeon E5-2670 Cpu, 64Gb ram, 3x Nvidia Quadro fx1800 cards.

But I still can't get N8 to work properly, I have regular "freeze-ups" of the system, cursor stops, N8 is silent, all meters freeze and after 20-30 secs its starts running again skipping those 20-30 secs.
Tried a lot of things already, including thrashing prefs and starting from zero, removing plugins etc.
I'll wait for the next update to see if things improve...if they don't I might have to try a whole fresh install for Windows, although I don't see the point as N7 performs just fine!

Robbie Ost

Post by Robbie Ost » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks for your help linzevalk, but it didn't help.
As C9pro has the same issue with some users, theres is hope they will come up with a solution soon.
N8.3.10/WL9.5.40/Win10x64/i9-9900k/32GB/RME MADI FX/Decklink SDI/Waves Mercury/NI Komplete/etc.

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm

linzevalk wrote:The sluggish performance was easily solved here by updating my Nvidia cards drivers.
Config: Windows 7 SP1, HP Z820 2x Xeon E5-2670 Cpu, 64Gb ram, 3x Nvidia Quadro fx1800 cards.

But I still can't get N8 to work properly, I have regular "freeze-ups" of the system, cursor stops, N8 is silent, all meters freeze and after 20-30 secs its starts running again skipping those 20-30 secs.
Tried a lot of things already, including thrashing prefs and starting from zero, removing plugins etc.
I'll wait for the next update to see if things improve...if they don't I might have to try a whole fresh install for Windows, although I don't see the point as N7 performs just fine!
Have you tried removing two of the three video cards to see if that is the problem. You also have a 2 CPU machine. Theoretically, you should be fine but Steinberg mentions in a support note that the DAW goes erratic with over 14 cores active on Windows 10. Here is the note:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... CPU-setups

Just thought of something else, your Quadro card issues 10 bit video whereas GeForce is 8 bit. I wonder if Steinberg tested their new video engine on Quadro cards?
Andrew
--
Nuendo 10.1.0
--

profdraper

Post by profdraper » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:35 pm

heisenberg9 wrote:So confirmed two people running Windows 7, 64 bit with NVIDIA cards have Nuendo 8 running smoothly. Still no issues with my system.
Ditto, same here: no real issues to speak of (or that weren't already niggles in N7). N8 performs a little better with the same N7 prefs, ASIO settings etc. Opens and plays all earlier N7 & C9 projects Some with quite large VI dependencies; a dozen or so with large vids). Works the same me (so far), but now with a nicer Cubase skin ... Oh, at one point after the N8 install I did some major work with reconfiguring & relocating all of the PCIe cards (six) given that I fitted a new Dell TB2 card & which required one particular PCIe slot. No problems there either with N8, and certainly far less so than many other aspects of Win10 dependencies. I've also had to re-instate various restore points at times, again, no real issues there. Perhaps some of the problems listed in this thread could do with a clean Windows install?

My only real SB winge is with Absolute 3 installs which have a mind of their own & never seem to get it quite right it terms of knowing that all sample libraries are located on a dedicated SSD. HALion 6 for example still errors in finding some of its various sounds ... Ditto its dumb library manager. Odd that it doesn't already reference a preference to where things are (like Native Instruments for example) but that's another story and a different set of bugs.
MacPro 7,1, 16 core, 2TB, 192GB, Vega II 32GB. OWC Thunderbay 6 8TB RAID 4, Highpoint SSD7101A 2TB RAID 0. RME UFX+, UAD-2 quad PCIe, Decklink MiniMon 4k. Dell U3419W & BenQ SW2700PT. FaderPort 16, NI Komplete Kontrol S61, Ableton Push. Nuendo 10, Wavelab 10, Logic, Ableton Live. FinalCutPro, DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.

linzevalk

Post by linzevalk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:52 am

Have you tried removing two of the three video cards to see if that is the problem. You also have a 2 CPU machine. Theoretically, you should be fine but Steinberg mentions in a support note that the DAW goes erratic with over 14 cores active on Windows 10. Here is the note:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... CPU-setups

Just thought of something else, your Quadro card issues 10 bit video whereas GeForce is 8 bit. I wonder if Steinberg tested their new video engine on Quadro cards?[/quote]

I can't imagine it being the issue, N7 runs just fine with 3 (10bit) video cards, that should also be possible with N8...
The core issue I know of, but I'm running W7, so that doesn't change anything either...

I guess it's just some cleaning up in the programming (I hope), otherwise I'll stick with N7 (waste of money than) or change DAWS in the future...I work a lot with ProTools too, so that would work, but I like Nuendo's workflow and midi facilities.

linzevalk

Post by linzevalk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Nuendo 8.0.15 didn't change a thing, still the DAW freezes up, this version seems to be even buggier...I hope they find a way to get it working for me...
Nuendo 7 still runs fine...gladly, I'm not using the new video engine before I'm sure of it's potential...

Robbie Ost

Post by Robbie Ost » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 pm

same here.
i am in contact with developer team. they really care about this it seems.
let's hope i can contribute to the problem solving.
N8.3.10/WL9.5.40/Win10x64/i9-9900k/32GB/RME MADI FX/Decklink SDI/Waves Mercury/NI Komplete/etc.

linzevalk

Post by linzevalk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi Robbie Ost,

Are you experiencing these "freezes" on a PC or on a Mac?
This is actually the first Nuendo version that doesn't work for me, and I have a full spec HP Z820 (a Steinberg recommended workstation).
Nuendo 7 is fine, no complaints...could it be the new video engine combined with my NVidia Quadro FX 1800 videocards? (I have 3 of them in this PC).
As N7 works with Quicktime, and this works fine, it seems to me that the new video engine is most likely to be the party-pooper.

Hope they find a solution too, I love the new facilities in N8!

Robbie Ost

Post by Robbie Ost » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:19 pm

linzevalk wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:12 pm
Hi Robbie Ost,

Are you experiencing these "freezes" on a PC or on a Mac?
This is actually the first Nuendo version that doesn't work for me, and I have a full spec HP Z820 (a Steinberg recommended workstation).
Nuendo 7 is fine, no complaints...could it be the new video engine combined with my NVidia Quadro FX 1800 videocards? (I have 3 of them in this PC).
As N7 works with Quicktime, and this works fine, it seems to me that the new video engine is most likely to be the party-pooper.

Hope they find a solution too, I love the new facilities in N8!
hi,
yes i am on pc (my sys specs are in my signature)

Same here:
first version (i am a user since version 1.5 i believe) which makes serious troubles after installation.
After I sent them a dump file which didn't bring up any irregularities we are planning a team viewer session, hopefully soon.
something in my setup makes N8 to hickup.
i hope we can find out what it is.

next step for me would be to do a test and do a fresh windows install, then install nuendo without any eucon, copperlan, acronis,..
and see if some permanent service is disturbing or interupting, but then why isn't N7.1 behaving weird??
well hope to find it out soon.

linzevalk

Post by linzevalk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Thx for your reply....exactly my idea, N7 is running great, why is N8 having these issues...the developers should know what the main differences are and be able to set apart the parts that cause these problems...
Keep me posted, I'm really curious...in the meanwhile I'll stick to N7...works good for me...

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:35 am

This is really weird with all the problems people are having, but so random from person to person. My specs are in my Sig, but noteworthy is I'm on Win7/64.

N8 works perfectly for me. Projects load and close slightly faster and ASIO performance is 10-15% better on N8 in the same project on my RME MADI card. I'm running a 65" 4K at 60Hz and a 1080P touchscreen from the same Nvidia video card. I run vast quantities of plugins, including 3x UAD2 Quads and loads of Nexus/Omni2/Kontact/Maschine2, etc, etc. All is working better than N7 so far.

Of note may be that I run 90% music only without video. Could many of the random issues be the new Vid engine? Variations in video subsytem and drivers most likely candidate? I think there are very few audio engine changes.
N10.0.20 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

linzevalk

Post by linzevalk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Hello Getalife2,

Funny thing is...I have the stability issues too when I'm not running any video...although it's slightly more stable then...but it still freezes up when I start working on a project...it's very strange...

Hopetown

Post by Hopetown » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:15 am

There's always something in the first round of revs. Compliments to Steinberg on the upgrade price. It's appreciated and I will be watching to see when this issues is resolved. Until then....N7 ain't broke so I'll be staying there. I'm stuck on a 3 year old iMac - waiting to see the new Mac Pros in December.
Pier Giacalone
Hopetown Sound Recording Studio
Doylestown, PA
http://www.hopetownsound.com

Nuendo 10.2 : 27" 4.2ghz 5K Imac (i7), 32g RAM | OSX 10.14.6 : Lynx Aurora (n) 24 Ch TB | Wavelab 10

stilus

Post by stilus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:33 am

Any news about update??

Robbie Ost

Post by Robbie Ost » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Not for me, except that acronis is not the problem. (i had a similiar problem with acronis some years ago)
The dev team didn't contact me back yet and the guy I mailed with is on holiday now.
I will try a fresh win10 install and see what happens, but I just can't find the time for it right now..

linzevalk

Post by linzevalk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 pm

I'm curious to hear what a fresh install will bring Robbie Ost...although it remains strange that N7 runs great and N8 freezes up and runs crappy as hell, in my case under Windows 7...that does not point towards a fresh Windows install in my opinion...

Return to “General”