Cant drag and drop files (Win10 / C9)

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.

Cant drag and drop files (Win10 / C9)

Post by 125 »

Hey,

I no longer can drag and drop files into Cubase.

I honestly can't definitively recall what i did, but I'm assuming its something silly.
I do recall is making some Win10 DAW+Audio optimization tweaks, from reading a post on Sweetwater (I think it was this: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... indows-10/
), a few days ago.
I'm working on a collaboration project and it's becoming a nuisance...especially importing MIDI one at a time.

I googled it, of course, and I read a very old post about changing the UAC. I checked my user account and its set to the lowest setting.

How can I fix this?

Best,

Hurmpie

Re: Cant drag and drop files (Win10 / C9)

Post by Hurmpie »

Running Cubase as Administrator disables drag and drop, might be the cause of this.

ninjaottermusic

Post by ninjaottermusic »

You're running it as an administrator! In Windows, this disables many program-to-program interactions (in your case, Windows Explorer interacting with Cubase).

It's to stop literally any other programs from hijacking your admin-access-enabled program to do naughty business, but in your case, it also broke drag and drop functionality.

Disable that, and you should be back up and running. :)
RIG: Mobo> MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon --- CPU> Ryzen 7 1700X --- RAM> 32GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX --- GPU> NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB

DAWs: Cubase 9.5, Ableton 9

ninjaottermusic

Post by ninjaottermusic »

Extra note:
If you did the "Adjust Processor Scheduling" step, you should change that back. It's an outdated optimization trick that would help low-level background processes, like your audio drivers, stay strong in the older days, but since Windows 7 and onward, Windows is pretty good at handling process prioritization by itself, and computers have gotten a lot better at juggling multiple tasks at once. That setting swap tends to actively slow down the responsiveness of active programs nowadays, and won't give any noticed improvement to your background driver processes. Good luck!
RIG: Mobo> MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon --- CPU> Ryzen 7 1700X --- RAM> 32GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX --- GPU> NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB

DAWs: Cubase 9.5, Ableton 9

Post by 125 »

oh, thank goodness.
The problem is resolved! :D

Ninjaottermusic, thanks!

Best,

theodorozzz

Post by theodorozzz »

Ninjaottermusic, thanks!

greyanaroth

Post by greyanaroth »

Man thanks so much! Just moved back from a OSX to a W10 setup (studio got some crazy machines that fly on W10!) but small *flower* like this was really getting my undies in a tizzy. This has been a considerable upgrade to my life.

funkman

Post by funkman »

Surely this is a ridiculous decision to take the drag and drop audio file to project window away?
yes we can do it if we have an audio track set up,but just cant understand why the other scenario with no audio track set up was taken away.
PC, Windows 10,AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.20GHz,M4A89GTDPRO/USB3 motherboard,8GB Ram. Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Interface,Novation Nocturn 25.

Return to “Issues”