Smooth Scrolling

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 can be posted here.
djw
Senior Member
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by djw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Delicieuxz wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:49 pm
Smooth scrolling is having the content of an application windows scroll with the mouse-wheel in a way that is gradual and consistent, rather than a series of chunky jumps between the content.
Scroll wheel input isn't granular enough for that. There's only a step every time the scroll wheel clicks. What browsers do is animate a smooth scrolling movement to not make it jump. The Logitech extension makes it so that there can be finer control than that. From the description:
How smooth is it? Pixel smooth. Without Smooth Scrolling, web pages typically scroll in choppy three-line increments. With Smooth Scrolling web pages will glide across your screen in single-pixel increments. It's so smooth you can even read as you scroll.
The reason why Logitech bundles an extension like that with their mouse is because otherwise it's just the click wheel ticks that can scroll a few lines at a time. The extensions allows them to bypass that. Because Logitech scrolling was brought up I wanted to explain why this exact technology won't be in Cubase.
Delicieuxz wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:49 pm
There is no frame-rate requirement for it, as it is not locked to a frame-rate. Cubase itself doesn't have a frame-rate, but will display according to whatever your personal monitor supports.
I mentioned that I like the scrolling in FL Studio. Have you used it? Scrolling in that is very smooth due to interpolation. But that DAW runs at native display refresh rate. Cubase actually drops below that, but I guess you didn't know that. This is why that same technique wouldn't look as nice. To make something look smooth, you need a consistent framerate.

It's nice that you accuse me of not understanding something, but here I am having to further explain it to you.

fbeauvaisc
Junior Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by fbeauvaisc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Delicieuxz wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:49 pm
So, some people don't know what smooth-scrolling is. Smooth scrolling is having the content of an application windows scroll with the mouse-wheel in a way that is gradual and consistent, rather than a series of chunky jumps between the content. There is no frame-rate requirement for it, as it is not locked to a frame-rate. Cubase itself doesn't have a frame-rate, but will display according to whatever your personal monitor supports.

And I don't know what the point showing that browser plugin is supposed to be making, because I don't have that Logitech extension installed in Chrome, and yet Chrome has smooth-scrolling. I don't have an extension in Firefox, and yet Firefox has smooth-scrolling. I don't have an extension in Opera, and yet Opera has smooth-scrolling. I don't have an extension in Edge, and yet Edge has smooth-scrolling. Even Internet Explorer has smooth-scrolling.

And +1 to adding smooth-scrolling to Cubase. It's long overdue.
OMG thank you!
François Beauvais
www.francoisbeauvais.com
Master - Windows 10 / RME Fireface UFX / Cubase 9.5 / P9X79 / i7-4820k / 32gb 1866mhz
Slave 1 - Windows 10 / x79 / Xeon E5-1620 / 64gb 1333mhz
Slave 2 - Windows 10 / x79z / i7-3960x / 32gb 1600mhz

User avatar
Raphie
Senior Member
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by Raphie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 pm

if you mean, in Cubase the mouse feels a bit "jerky" like bad mouse acceleration, sometimes overshooting on small movements, yes that can be improved. I really personally didn't find it offending enough to start a topic about it, but now you mention it, yes it can be smoother.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

fbeauvaisc
Junior Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by fbeauvaisc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Raphie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 pm
if you mean, in Cubase the mouse feels a bit "jerky" like bad mouse acceleration, sometimes overshooting on small movements, yes that can be improved. I really personally didn't find it offending enough to start a topic about it, but now you mention it, yes it can be smoother.
Ok dude since you're not even close to understanding what we are talking about, I made a video for you. Smooth scrolling has nothing to do with mouse acceleration. It's when we use the shift key in conjunction with the mouse wheel to scroll through material. Please watch and read carefully. It's all explained in this video I put on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5usk59 ... e=youtu.be
François Beauvais
www.francoisbeauvais.com
Master - Windows 10 / RME Fireface UFX / Cubase 9.5 / P9X79 / i7-4820k / 32gb 1866mhz
Slave 1 - Windows 10 / x79 / Xeon E5-1620 / 64gb 1333mhz
Slave 2 - Windows 10 / x79z / i7-3960x / 32gb 1600mhz

djw
Senior Member
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by djw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:12 pm

fbeauvaisc wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:10 pm
Delicieuxz wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:49 pm
<snip>
OMG thank you!
I give up. Good luck with your awesome feature request.

fbeauvaisc
Junior Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by fbeauvaisc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 pm

djw wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:12 pm
fbeauvaisc wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:10 pm
Delicieuxz wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:49 pm
<snip>
OMG thank you!
I give up. Good luck with your awesome feature request.
It's so simple, you'll feel dumb after watching this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5usk59 ... e=youtu.be
François Beauvais
www.francoisbeauvais.com
Master - Windows 10 / RME Fireface UFX / Cubase 9.5 / P9X79 / i7-4820k / 32gb 1866mhz
Slave 1 - Windows 10 / x79 / Xeon E5-1620 / 64gb 1333mhz
Slave 2 - Windows 10 / x79z / i7-3960x / 32gb 1600mhz

User avatar
Raphie
Senior Member
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by Raphie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm

fbeauvaisc wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm
Raphie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 pm
if you mean, in Cubase the mouse feels a bit "jerky" like bad mouse acceleration, sometimes overshooting on small movements, yes that can be improved. I really personally didn't find it offending enough to start a topic about it, but now you mention it, yes it can be smoother.
Ok dude since you're not even close to understanding what we are talking about, I made a video for you. Smooth scrolling has nothing to do with mouse acceleration. It's when we use the shift key in conjunction with the mouse wheel to scroll through material. Please watch and read carefully. It's all explained in this video I put on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5usk59 ... e=youtu.be
He "dude"..... I zoom with my mouse wheel, I don't scroll, zooming works fluid
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

fbeauvaisc
Junior Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by fbeauvaisc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Raphie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm
fbeauvaisc wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm
Raphie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 pm
if you mean, in Cubase the mouse feels a bit "jerky" like bad mouse acceleration, sometimes overshooting on small movements, yes that can be improved. I really personally didn't find it offending enough to start a topic about it, but now you mention it, yes it can be smoother.
Ok dude since you're not even close to understanding what we are talking about, I made a video for you. Smooth scrolling has nothing to do with mouse acceleration. It's when we use the shift key in conjunction with the mouse wheel to scroll through material. Please watch and read carefully. It's all explained in this video I put on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5usk59 ... e=youtu.be
He "dude"..... I zoom with my mouse wheel, I don't scroll, zooming works fluid

Hahahahahahaha Then you really are in the wrong thread buddy. This does not concern you at all. By the way, you can zoom AND scroll with the wheel. Crtl does the Zooming and Alt does the scrolling. You should start using it. It's a basic universal key command that work in pretty much all descent softwares. This thread was not about smooth zooming hahaha! Sorry but this is getting pretty funny...
François Beauvais
www.francoisbeauvais.com
Master - Windows 10 / RME Fireface UFX / Cubase 9.5 / P9X79 / i7-4820k / 32gb 1866mhz
Slave 1 - Windows 10 / x79 / Xeon E5-1620 / 64gb 1333mhz
Slave 2 - Windows 10 / x79z / i7-3960x / 32gb 1600mhz

vapro
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by vapro » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:22 am

+1

snook
New Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by snook » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Seriously, can't believe the arguments here.. totally with fbauvaisc.. if you can scroll smoothly by dragging the slider at the side of the screen then it's not a refresh rate issue, the mouse wheel should be able to do the same..

My mouse wheel has the option to change to increments or smooth scrolling by clicking the wheel button, yet smooth scrolling doesn't work.

All my browsers have smooth scrolling and I don't have any of those extensions/plugins installed.

Does anyone know if they fixed this in 9.5?
Current setup - Cubase 10.0.5, Sierra macOS 10.12.6, Macbook pro retina Early 2013
Logitech MX2 Anywhere mouse. RME Fireface UC.

ultradust
Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 am
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by ultradust » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:09 am

+1

fbeauvaisc
Junior Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by fbeauvaisc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Unfortunately still an issue in 9.5.
François Beauvais
www.francoisbeauvais.com
Master - Windows 10 / RME Fireface UFX / Cubase 9.5 / P9X79 / i7-4820k / 32gb 1866mhz
Slave 1 - Windows 10 / x79 / Xeon E5-1620 / 64gb 1333mhz
Slave 2 - Windows 10 / x79z / i7-3960x / 32gb 1600mhz

codeblack
New Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by codeblack » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:47 pm

I think they just made everything too heavy once they introduced Cubase 8... its super laggy to scroll in arrange window, to load up the mixer window and to scroll accross the mixer window... initially i thought maybe my graphics card was the culprit with my new 38" screen, but after buying a GTX 1080 TI and nothing changed, i knew it was cubase....

They need to fix some code for sure...

djw
Senior Member
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by djw » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:28 pm

codeblack, are you on 9.5? In most situations, middle click scrolling is perfectly smooth in that, so it shouldn't be too heavy.

Also, CPU is what processes the arrangers' graphics when scrolling.

HabbaHabba
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by HabbaHabba » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:46 am

+1

codeblack
New Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by codeblack » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:21 pm

djw wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:28 pm
codeblack, are you on 9.5? In most situations, middle click scrolling is perfectly smooth in that, so it shouldn't be too heavy.

Also, CPU is what processes the arrangers' graphics when scrolling.
still mostly using 8.5, but i have 9 and 9.5 installed also and there is not much change...
Was all fine in the old 6.5, scrolling perfectly with a non laggy interface, with the new mixer it is just REALLY laggy, maybe i should post a video to show.
even if i click and hold the scroll bar and physically drag it left or right, it is completely slow to re-draw the graphics....

djw
Senior Member
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by djw » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:43 am

codeblack wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:21 pm
djw wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:28 pm
codeblack, are you on 9.5? In most situations, middle click scrolling is perfectly smooth in that, so it shouldn't be too heavy.

Also, CPU is what processes the arrangers' graphics when scrolling.
still mostly using 8.5, but i have 9 and 9.5 installed also and there is not much change...
Was all fine in the old 6.5, scrolling perfectly with a non laggy interface, with the new mixer it is just REALLY laggy, maybe i should post a video to show.
even if i click and hold the scroll bar and physically drag it left or right, it is completely slow to re-draw the graphics....
The MixConsole has scrolling lag, yes. 9.5 should have minor improvements. All this is a known issue.

snook
New Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by snook » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:16 am

Ok, so I've been using an older mouse I had kicking about and have just discovered that scrolling using the wheel is way better than it is on my Logitech MX2 mouse. Strange thing is though, that when I try and alter the scroll speed setting in the Logitech options app it has no effect in cubase, but it does have an effect in other programs such as Safari. I tried restarting cubase after I'd altered it but it still had no effect. Anyway, this could be a reason why this is an issue for some and not others, with the old mouse the incremental scrolling is no where near as bad as it is using my logitech mouse.

--
So I'm now thinking it's a problem with the Logitech software not communicating with cubase properly, i.e. it's only communicating a definitive speed with Cubase which is too high.

I don't think the old mouse mentioned above (which is wireless) ever needed any software to get it to run unlike the Logitech one which does.

Looks like other are also having issues i.e. viewtopic.php?t=80202

Also wondering if any non Logitech users are having this same issue.

Another thing, my Logitech software does have application specific settings, i.e. you can have different mouse settings depending on which program you're running, but changing this seems to have no effect on cubase at all, I've tried both ways, using it set to all applications, and then having a specific setting for cubase, no difference. It's as if they're not communicating the way Logitech does with other software.
Current setup - Cubase 10.0.5, Sierra macOS 10.12.6, Macbook pro retina Early 2013
Logitech MX2 Anywhere mouse. RME Fireface UC.

okr
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by okr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:26 pm

+1
Apollo 8 QUAD (Silver Face Thunderbolt) | Apollo 8p (Black Face Thunderbolt) | UA 710-D | Burl B32 | Burl B2 | Dangerous Source | Softube Console One MKII
---
Cubase Pro 10.0.5 | Pro Tools 2018.7 (Native) | Ableton Live 10.0.5 | Logic X 10.4.1 | Studio One 4.1.1 | Adobe Audition CC
---
iMac 5k 2017 | OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 | UAD 9.7

galoz
Junior Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by galoz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:35 am

+111
Cubase 9.5.3 pro
Windows 7 64bits - Core i5 - SSD - 8Gb - Motu PCI 424 - Motu 2408MKiii - Motu 1296 -

User avatar
welgraven
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:56 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by welgraven » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:29 pm

+1
Electronic music for the media and events. Check http://www.byraven.com/ for some of our work!

In_Stereo
Senior Member
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by In_Stereo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 am

+1 Yes! Long overdue indeed.
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

jamesbmaxwell
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by jamesbmaxwell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm

+10000

funkylulu
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by funkylulu » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:48 am

+1

Soapmak3r
Junior Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Smooth Scrolling

Post by Soapmak3r » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 pm

I have only recently started to use Cubase 9.5 on MacOS and the scrolling behaviour is completely different than in Windows. If you hold down Ctrl and scroll with the mouse in Win10 it is smooth and consistent, and most importantly, gradual.
If you do the same in MacOS, one notch on the scroll wheel will zoom in so far that you will be completely lost. The same applies to fader movement, scrolling through menus, the zoom controls on the sequencer, editor windows etc.

It is bizarre behaviour with no option to change it. I am also using a Logitech wireless mouse.
Core i7 8700
32GB DDR4 2666 RAM
Antelope Zen Tour audio interface/Focal Alpha 80s/Slate digital VMS/Kemper

Win10 Pro 64bit. MacOS High Sierra. Cubase Pro 9.5

Post Reply

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests