Prospective buyer question: Filter events?

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
raisindot

Prospective buyer question: Filter events?

Post by raisindot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi folks!

One of the many current Sonar users thinking of getting Cubase Pro 9.5 as an additional DAW.

One main reason why I'm favoring Cubase over Studio One is because Cubase has much better MIDI capabilities that reflect those that Sonar has.

But one thing I can't seem to figure out. While Cubase has a MIDI event list feature, it's not clear to me whether it has a "Filter Event" type of feature that Sonar has.

For example, with Sonar, you can use "the Filter Events" to search and replace, say, all occurrences of "C6" in a MIDI track with "B6." It can similar universal changes with controllers and other things and even audio (which I've never tried). I use this extensively when, say, I lay down a generic rhythm track and want to change a drum sound by changing the notes rather than editing a drum map.

I know you can do this kind of thing in the piano roll, but I find the Sonar methodology easier. I just don't know whether Cubase has a similar functionality. Can you enlighten me? Thanks!

jaslan

Re: Prospective buyer question: Filter events?

Post by jaslan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm

There is the Logical Editor for editing work that is very powerful. There is also the MIDI Input Transformer for real time modifications. Both do require some learning of how to use. You should definitely check those out in the manual. The example you gave sounds like an easy task for the Logical Editor though...
Cubase Pro 9.0.30. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 3.6.5. and Jamstix 4.0. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Yes, for search and replace the Logical Editor and Project Logical Editor are what you're looking for. They're quite powerful, and you can use the factory presets as starting points for the kinds of edits you want to make. If you save your edited versions as presets, you can assign them to a key command or a macro, which allows you to do perform a large variety of very complex tasks in seconds
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

peakae

Post by peakae » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:24 pm

However a filter option in the list editor sounds like great feature request.
Combined with a find and replace, it would be more intuitive than using the Logical editor.
Cubase Pro 9.5, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, CMC TP, CMC CH.

swamptooth

Post by swamptooth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:25 pm

in the cubase event list you can either right-click on the note itself or the event type column then "select/equal pitch same octave or equal pitch all octaves" this will highlight note events that have that pitch. then, double click on the note name in the data1 column and type in a new note name or midi note number and hit enter. it will replace all selected events with the new pitch.
event list select.jpg
(304.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
best regards and welcome.
Cubase 7-9.5, Sonar X3, Reason 9.5, Sibelius 7.1.3
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 with i7 3630QM@2.4Ghz
16GB Ram
UR22, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Komplete 10 Ultimate, Various Libraries from Spitfire Audio, EWQL, VSL

swamptooth

Post by swamptooth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 pm

You actually can filter the event list - I thought a video might illustrate the process better:
https://youtu.be/A1g1ZgvPQSE
16GB Ram

swamptooth

Post by swamptooth » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 am

raisindot wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:59 pm

But one thing I can't seem to figure out. While Cubase has a MIDI event list feature, it's not clear to me whether it has a "Filter Event" type of feature that Sonar has.
raisindot
just a heads up that your question was moved to the presales forum.
16GB Ram

raisindot

Post by raisindot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Thank you all for responding to this. I like the idea of being able to do this kind of "universal change note" on the Event list, one of the major reasons why I'm leaning toward Cubase over Studio One, although I'm glad the Logical Editor offers a similar process.

Return to “Presales”