E Dongle and installation questions

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
GMcT

E Dongle and installation questions

Post by GMcT » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:20 pm

Hello again,
I'm sorry if I appear to be stupid, but spending around €800 on new software means that I want to be certain of what I'm getting for my money.
I have downloaded the 1000 page plus pdf manual, which I am currently studying.

I may be eligible for a crossgrade licence as a current Sonar Platinum user, but I am not allowed to download Cubase Pro 9.5 from their shop.
I am apparently only allowed to buy a boxed version.
This contains a dongle and a voucher to download the software.
Can't I download Cubase directly after paying for it and also the file(s) required for the license to my own USB stick to create the dongle?
This will save time.
I haven't been able to identify the level of proof required for the crossgrade license, do Steinberg require my Sonar installation card form the boxed version I purchased?
I wish Cubase was somewhat easier to understand in terms of purchase and licensing. I did look at it before buying Sonar in 2015, but I was put off by the lack of information and support (most of the support staff were occupied elsewhere at the time).
Thank you in advance for any help offered.

jaslan

Re: E Dongle and installation questions

Post by jaslan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 am

I can't answer about the crossgrade but for the dongle, you need a USB eLicenser. It is not just a USB stick, it is a specific product. That is why you must get it in the box.
HTH
J.L.
Cubase Pro 9.0.30. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 3.6.5. and Jamstix 4.0. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:14 am

Depending on where you are in the world, You can buy the USB key by itself either online or in a store where they sell musical instruments, midi devices and software,

Then you can download and use the a trial version of Cubase 9.5 for 30 days at no further cost.
Cubase Pro 9.5 | Windows Pro 10, GA-77x-UD5H | UR44 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid

GMcT

Post by GMcT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Thank you very much Steve and J.L..
I now understand the exact role of the dongle and the boxed product.
Your information is much appreciated.

raisindot

Post by raisindot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:19 pm

-steve- wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:14 am
Depending on where you are in the world, You can buy the USB key by itself either online or in a store where they sell musical instruments, midi devices and software,

Then you can download and use the a trial version of Cubase 9.5 for 30 days at no further cost.
Exactly. I'm a Sonar user testing out Cubase and Studio One. I bought the Cubase e-licenser at my local Guitar Center for $32 (they lowered their in store price by $4 to match the online prices elsewhere), and then downloaded the Cubase 9.5 trial and somehow, and licensed it to the e-licenser. Not the easiest and most intuitive process, but it workis.

Return to “Presales”