Pre-purchase advice please

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
GMcT

Pre-purchase advice please

Post by GMcT » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Hello everybody,
I am a midi composer who does not record any instruments, I compose my music entirely in a midi/piano roll environment.
I am currently using Sonar Platinum, which I have had for just over two years and have never been satisfied with. Prior to that, I used FL Studio 8.
I find Sonar's copy/paste bug infuriating, but, although FL Studio has a great editor, it did not have the sounds I wanted. Sonar came with a better suite of instruments.

I am seriously considering a move to Cubase Artist 9.5 and I would greatly appreciate some input and advice from current users.

I require a very good grand piano, an acoustic drum kit, bass guitar, electric and acoustic guitar and a synthesizer (Sytrus/Dimension Pro).
I am increasingly moving towards orchestral arrangements and Vienna instruments seems like a very suitable product for me.

Would Cubase Artist 9.5 come with the basic instruments which I require and does Vienna Instruments work within that environment as a plug-in?
Additionally, how do you find the midi/piano roll editor in Cubase to be?
FL Studio makes pitch shifting notes very easy and intuitive, whereas in Sonar, it was basically unusable (drawn in a separate window using a numeric value), resulting in my being unable to portamento any notes.
Is changing the pitch of a note straightforward in Cubase?

Any advice and recommendations that you can give me will be very gratefully received.
Thank you in advance.

Martin.Jirsak
Grand Master

Re: Pre-purchase advice please

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi,

There is a Sunday library in Cubase. Of course, you cannot compare with VSL.

Yes, your can use VSL as VST3 plug-in.

The Key Editor is the best in the market, I would say. I'm using it as a main editor, because if my style of writing.

To transpose note up/down, use arrow up/down. To octave by 1 octave, use Shift+arrow up/down. Same way, you can nudge or change the length of the note (or multiple notes at once).

Download Cubase Pro Trial. ;-)
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)

GMcT

Post by GMcT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Thank you Martin, I'll have a look for a video about the Key Editor.
My other questions have also been answered, so I now feel more confident about investing in Cubase.
Best regards.

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Dynamic pitch shifting is also pretty easy. You can either open a new controller lane to draw your dynamic pitch changes or double click the notes you want to pitch bend and draw the curve directly into the note using Note Expression.

On VST3 instruments with full Note Expression support such as the Halion family, each note can have its own MIDI controllers and pitch and/or volume changes. For example, you can draw a chord and only apply manual vibrato to the middle note, like this:

http://a.pomf.cat/fcmopp.png
http://a.pomf.cat/dqzsbp.png

The other two notes aren't affected at all if you don't want. Note Expression data can also easily be converted to regular MIDI controllers:
http://a.pomf.cat/oersji.png

As for the included instruments, Cubase comes with Halion Sonic SE.
The Cubase Artist version comes with many sounds from the Yamaha Motif Classic keyboard and select sounds from the Motif XS.
The Cubase Pro version comes with all sounds from the Motif Classic, even more sounds from the Motif XS and some sounds from the Motif XF, the last in the Motif family.

Among the Motif XF sounds are some guitars and basses with multiple articulations, such as hammer-ons, slaps and slides.

The stock instruments also cover all commonly used kinds of synthesis. It's only missing a FM synthetizer, but you can just use the free Dexed for that. You can configure it to sound almost exactly like a real DX7.
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

Return to “Presales”