Why do i have i have to pay for a update!?

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
RichardTownsend

Re: Why do i have i have to pay for a update!?

Post by RichardTownsend » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:50 pm

thirdfocus wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 pm
So i spent around £500 a month back for cubase pro 9 Which is A lot for me to spend on, and don't make any money from music as it's a hobby (though i really am falling in love with cubase with all it features and how stable it is compared to other newer daws). People who brought Pro 9 should get 9.5 for free its crazy to think i have to spend another £50 just for some features in update. we should only pay if its Pro 10..
It’s a year’s worth of development effort for them, so I think it’s fair to charge for it.
2015 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, Sierra, Cubase 9.x, Dorico 1.x, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, NI Kontrol 6, Neumann KH120 monitors, Focal Elear phones, NI Komplete, Omnisphere, Kontakt libraries, Serum

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:45 am

thirdfocus wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 am
Denis van der Velde wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:35 am
I have taken this subject a few times and i agree all 9.xx updates should be free, that is market conform and you don't have this supprice spending like money on C9pro, Halion6, Groove Agent and WL9. C9.5 was out in a few months and WL9.5 was also out in a few months after i bought the stuff or full steinberg prices. Like the about 4 weeks update free limit, it is kinda harsh to pay for updates within a few months that i bought it in the shops. But hey it seems to be the system of steinberg to do so, i was suppriced such a big company still has payed updates within the version.... Even if they would make the Grace Period like 6 months or 1 year, that would a great help. But V9.xx versions within the manin version, should be free update.
100% i Agree with you. I spent Full Price of cubase pro 9 which was £499, a month later they decide to have a update to 9.5 which we should get it for free as people who buy cubase now; is exact same price £499 and get the 9.5 version without paying £549. Game updates , or any other daw updates don't make users pay for updates..
Wel it seems to be that longtime Cubase users are used to the system, and new users are not used to the steinberg update system. Are they are even driving you away forwarding you to goto Reaper or other systems. That is bad for Steinbergs, new users should be comming in and if they see the update system as free they should be heard also. To me the Grace Period is way too small. The update system way too wierd and gives a disaapointing feel to new users.
Denis van der Velde
http://www.curioza.com
AAMS Auto Audio Mastering System for Windows

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 am

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:45 am
and new users are not used to the steinberg update system
No it's just you.
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:21 am

Surely Reaper and all the others charge for updates as well?

OP - it's just the rules of the road in Steinberg land. You don't have to pay anything, and you'll still be as happy with Cubase Pro 9.0 as you were the day you got it!

Even better - you can trial Cubase Pro 9.5, and see how you like it ... you may decide you want to wait until Cubase Pro 10.0 is released before spending more money, or you may be so happy with 9.5 you think it is well worth the $$ to move up after 30 days.

Either way, you are in charge of deciding when you want to pay - next December when Cubase 10 is likely released, or now for Cubase 9.5. It's really a pretty good deal when you look at it that way!!
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

mbr

Post by mbr » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Because there is no such thing as a free lunch !
Cubase 9.5 Recordings done @ 96 kHz / 64 Bit )

Win 7 64-bit SP1 ; i7 Intel @3.50 Hz ; 32 Gigs RAM
256 GB SSD OS ; 1 TB SSD for Recording ; 1 TB SSD for Sample Streaming

Soundcard - O1V96i
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.11 Firmware V1.02 Editor V1.0

UAD-2 (OCTO) ; CMC ( FD, CH, PD, TP, AI & QC )
Many hardware synths and sample libraries ; Millennia ; Midisport 8/8 ; BIG BEN Apogee

Forum member (old forums) since 2003

"The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong"

cubace

Post by cubace » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:30 pm

The problem is not that you have to pay for the update, the problem is that you dont get bugfixes for the one you have bought.

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 pm

cubace wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:30 pm
The problem is not that you have to pay for the update, the problem is that you dont get bugfixes for the one you have bought.
You do get a last bug fix update after a new version is released, but it's obviously completely impractical to continue to provide bug fixes for old versions. Most companies aren't big enough to do that, and the majority of users seem to upgrade anyway.
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

cameron206

Post by cameron206 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:38 am

cubace wrote:
This is actually a legit complaint.
Of course.. the previous argument is valid- with some research, you would know that Stieny is NEVER fixing any bugs :)

AAAAWWWW #hatersgonnahate
#stillaloyalcustomer #whydoesntmymidicontrollerworkinwavelab
i5 2500k / win10 / CubasePro9 / WavelabElements9 / iconQconPro

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:02 am

With some research you might also discover that people say the same thing about every DAW developer ever.
;)

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:50 am

Romantique Tp wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 am
and new users are not used to the steinberg update system
No it's just you.
Here is an old member with a great quote... IT IS YOU!
Denis van der Velde

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:51 am

cameron206 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:38 am
cubace wrote:
Of course.. the previous argument is valid- with some research, you would know that Stieny is NEVER fixing any bugs :)

Yes that is a legit quote, i see C9 not updated now, and not anymore. You stuck with it and C95 has the updates... So you actually have to Buy C95 for getting updates for 9 (eh wrong, 9 is never updated anymore!)

So i bought C9 this summer !!!
and i am allready stuck with a product that i know is not getting updated anymore anyhow anyway....
Denis van der Velde

JClosed

Post by JClosed » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:44 am

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:51 am
cameron206 wrote:
cubace wrote:

Yes that is a legit quote, i see C9 not updated now, and not anymore. You stuck with it and C95 has the updates... So you actually have to Buy C95 for getting updates for 9 (eh wrong, 9 is never updated anymore!)

and i am allready stuck with a product that i know is not getting updated anymore anyhow anyway....
Ehmm... Cubase 9 was released on December 7, 2016. Cubase 8.5 got it's latest .30 update on March 10, 2017. That's AFTER the release of 9.0.

So.. Your product will likely be updated even after the release of 9.5 as history has proven.

Anyway - While I agree that the grace period could be a little longer, I do not agree an x.5 update should be free. People have worked hard to get out these improvements and new features. They are entitled to be payed for that. Nobody works for free, and nobody will say "Oh - you are a Steinberg developer? Great, here is free food, and you get a house for free and free medical insurance, free energy to warm you house and a free car, and....". Get the picture?

So yes. You have to pay for a .5 update. But for that money you get lots of improvements and new features. That's worth the money. Oh - and no - Improvements are not the same as bug fixes. And also no - I don't know any software that's one hundred percent bug free (except maybe medical software or software in nuclear reactors - but even software for rockets is known to fail), so getting bug fixes even after the EOL is good service.
Last edited by JClosed on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:49 am

JClosed wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:44 am
cameron206 wrote:

Ehmm... Cubase 9 was released on December 7, 2016. Cubase 8.5 got it's latest .30 update on March 10, 2017. That's AFTER the release of 9.0.

So.. Your product will likely be updated even after the release of 9.5 as history has proven.

Anyway - While I agree that the grace period could be a little longer, I do not agree an x.5 update should be free. People have worked hard to get out these improvements and new features. They are entitled to be payed for that. Nobody works for fee, and nobody will say "Oh - you are a Steinberg developer? Great, here is free food, and you get a house for free and free medical insurance, free energy to warm you house and a free car, and....". Get the picture?

So yes. You have to pay for a .5 update. But for that money you get lots of improvements and new features. That's worth the money. Oh - and no - Improvements are not the same as bug fixes. And also no - I don't know any software that's one hundred percent bug free (except maybe medical software or software in nuclear reactors - but even software for rockets is known to fail), so getting bug fixes even after the EOL is good service.
So this says a product that has been released Dec 2016, i bought in this summes 2017, is now defunct C9 at December 2017 and will not get any updates anymore.... and within the year of the first release C9 the users must Pay for Updates to C95.... and if they do not they are left within the year with a product C9 that will not be updated for bugs etc anymore... THX! anyway if they only had a normal Grace Period, but that is like 4 weeks.... OK i payed for the C95 updates, i had to. And now have within the year two products of C9 on my comp, C9 and C95! That is value, double programs of cubase C9 and C95 will do exactly the same...

Good value, withing the year my C9 is defunct... (and no moderator will burn his hands on this one, i see no comments...)
Last edited by Denis van der Velde on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denis van der Velde

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 am

cubace wrote:
Exactly... Within the same year, you loose the updates possibillity of a product you just bought.... Great Value for money and a real bummer...
AND WHOOO , the C95 update has got all the fixes that C9 will never get.... Within 6 months my C9 is defunct and will not get any updates... Great Value for money there! And this goes for C9 and Wavelab 9, no updates on that one anymore, you must buy them first! Great Value for money...
Denis van der Velde

JClosed

Post by JClosed » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:36 am

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:49 am
JClosed wrote:

Anyway - While I agree that the grace period could be a little longer, I do not agree an x.5 update should be free. People have worked hard to get out these improvements and new features. They are entitled to be payed for that. Nobody works for fee, and nobody will say "Oh - you are a Steinberg developer? Great, here is free food, and you get a house for free and free medical insurance, free energy to warm you house and a free car, and....". Get the picture?

So this says a product that has been released Dec 2016, i bought in this summes 2017, is now defunct C9 at December 2017 and will not get any updates anymore.... and within the year of the first release C9 the users must Pay for Updates to C95.... and if they do not they are left within the year with a product C9 that will not be updated for bugs etc anymore... THX! anyway if they only had a normal Grace Period, but that is like 4 weeks.... OK i payed for the C95 updates, i had to. And now have within the year two products of C9 on my comp, C9 and C95! That is value, double programs of cubase C9 and C95 will do exactly the same...

Good value, withing the year my C9 is defunct... (and no moderator will burn his hands on this one, i see no comments...)
Did you even read what I have stated about the 8.5 version? Jeez....

And no - You are not entitled updates after version EOL. Read the ULA my friend. Steinberg gave 8.5 users updates even after the release of a new 9.0 version, but they where in fact not obligated to do so. You bought the software "as is", and you agreeded with that. You can maybe stop using Cubase, let revoke your license, and try to reclaim you money because the software is not "as expected", but good luck with that.

Every piece of software you buy is sold "as is". And nowhere in you buyers agreement is stated that you are entitled in version updates or life long bug fixes. But if you really want that I can advise you to use FL Studio. These developers give indeed life long free updates, because they explicitly state that in their buyers agreement. But if you don't mind I keep using Cubase.

Anyway - I simply disagree that you get a year's long hard developers work just for free, because you "feel like you are entitled to it". And updates after an new version number is released? Well - You get maybe a few, but not because you are entitled to it.

And that's the last thing I say about that.

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 am

JClosed wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:36 am
JClosed wrote:

And no - You are not entitled updates after version EOL. Read the ULA my friend. Steinberg gave 8.5 users updates even after the release of a new 9.0 version, but they where in fact not obligated to do so. You bought the software "as is", and you agreeded with that. You can maybe stop using Cubase, let revoke your license, and try to reclaim you money because the software is not "as expected", but good luck with that.

Every piece of software you buy is sold "as is". And nowhere in you buyers agreement is stated that you are entitled in version updates or life long bug fixes. But if you really want that I can advise you to use FL Studio. These developers give indeed life long free updates, because they explicitly state that in their buyers agreement. But if you don't mind I keep using Cubase.

Anyway - I simply disagree that you get a year's long hard developers work just for free, because you "feel like you are entitled to it". And updates after an new version number is released? Well - You get maybe a few, but not because you are entitled to it.

The more you come with more complycated explanations why and how Steinberg camo to this system, the more i laugh at it.
Even Microsoft does UPDATES on OLD products! FOR FREE...
Like my 2013 Office of 2010 Office, stil getting updates.
For FREE...

And again a user that is Advising Fluityloops, great for saying Fruitlyloops is better...
And as the last one before you advised all of us to Reaper!
Good fun, transfer you users to Fluitloops and Reaper, advise them this way..,.
Denis van der Velde

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 am
JClosed wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:36 am

The more you come with more complycated explanations why and how Steinberg camo to this system, the more i laugh at it.
Even Microsoft does UPDATES on OLD products! FOR FREE...
Like my 2013 Office of 2010 Office, stil getting updates.
For FREE...

And again a user that is Advising Fluityloops, great for saying Fruitlyloops is better...
And as the last one before you advised all of us to Reaper!
Good fun, transfer you users to Fluitloops and Reaper, advise them this way..,.
You buy C9 in the shop for this summer 2017 and in December its defunct and that goes for Wavelab 9 also...
Microsoft still updates their products for Free.... Even my office 2010 and 2013.
W7, W8, W10, free updates...

Steinberg ??? eh.....

You passing over the fact the if you buy someting like software, and there are Updates Needed (like C95) where they Repair things....
Where is the Update for C9 then that repairs the same things as in C95 ?
You have to pay, for repairs.
Steinberg is not Mircrosoft..

And i am very fond of all the users that kindy say, you not agree ? They advise FRUITYLOOPS and REAPER.
So basically they say that is a better product to go for...
Denis van der Velde

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Romantique Tp wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:06 pm
shanabit wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 pm
Honestly, I wish the whiners would simply switch to REAPER as its only $60 and lots of FREE updates.
I agree, whiners should switch to a DAW with a horrible default UI and workflow, and is nothing like Cubase to suffer for a bit.
So actualy Steinberg Users advise REAPER and FRUITYLOOPS...
That's great for Steinberg (NOT).
Denis van der Velde

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Yes, I'm with you! We need Communist revolution, in the communist society everyone can get anything he wants for free!
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1, Intel Core i7-4770, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H, 16 GB, GeForce GTX 1050.

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Denis, I suggest you to lurk more because you're clearly very new to Steinberg products and don't quite understand how they operate.

Steinberg always releases at least one last bug fix update for the previous version of Cubase after a new version is released.
;)

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Romantique Tp wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:17 pm
Denis, I suggest you to lurk more because you're clearly very new to Steinberg products and don't quite understand how they operate.

Steinberg always releases at least one last bug fix update for the previous version of Cubase after a new version is released.
That will go for all the NEW USERS of Steinberg products like the one who started this post...
Denis van der Velde

planarchist

Post by planarchist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am

You buy C9 in the shop for this summer 2017 and in December its defunct and that goes for Wavelab 9 also...
This is absolute nonsense. Cubase 9 is not defunct.

I have Cubase versions going back to SX and every one of them works just as fine as they did when I first bought them (including the supposedly defunct version 9). Indeed I have some older versions too which I'm sure would also work if I could be bothered to load up the computers that I used to run them on. I have never had to upgrade due to issues with a version but rather have upgraded by choice because I have wanted the new features on offer.
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.0, Absolute Collection 3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Cubase Pro 9.5.0, Absolute Collection 3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1
Tascam US1800, Steinberg Midex 8.

Cubase Elements 9 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM
Cubasis 1.9.9 iPad Mini 4 64GB

Denis van der Velde

Post by Denis van der Velde » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 pm

planarchist wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 pm
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am

This is absolute nonsense. Cubase 9 is not defunct.

I have Cubase versions going back to SX and every one of them works just as fine as they did when I first bought them (including the supposedly defunct version 9). Indeed I have some older versions too which I'm sure would also work if I could be bothered to load up the computers that I used to run them on. I have never had to upgrade due to issues with a version but rather have upgraded by choice because I have wanted the new features on offer.
I only asked the question if C9 is getting still updates then ?
A user said that was one of the problems.
So i understand you have to buy C95 not only for the updates or upgrades (new things) but also for the updates as in Bugfixes.
That would be my interpetation of reading what users post here.
New users are just suppriced by the system of updating, at least it was me and the user that started this posting.
And i read it more in the forums, if i need to buy updates ok.
But it was not what i expected when i buy things in this summer Like Wavelab 9 pro or C9pro.
And that trough a combination of things, Grace Period that is way too short, that within 6 months of time there are no updates for it..
Or i am i reading this wrong ? If you buy software the new user will not expect this.
Basically Cubase is a home recording system, you can use it at home, etc.
Not all musicians are bellied up with money, some even need to save money a long time for it.
When you buy software you expect a longer time of support and updates.
Though i have a C6 version that works, and that is why i know Steinberg makes great software.
C95 runs very well and is for me the best C version yet. Though working with Halion 6 comming from Kontakt, Halion 6 is just the best in sampling, though Kontakt is proudly also very good. Groove Agent 4 is about the best Drumsampler around.
So i am happy with what i got, i just did not expect this and maybe i only ask for a longer Gace Period time of like at least 1 year warrenty to get free update to all that has been buyed new.
Denis van der Velde

planarchist

Post by planarchist » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 am

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 pm

A user said that was one of the problems.
So i understand you have to buy C95 not only for the updates or upgrades (new things) but also for the updates as in Bugfixes.
That would be my interpetation of reading what users post here.
New users are just suppriced by the system of updating, at least it was me and the user that started this posting.
And i read it more in the forums, if i need to buy updates ok.
But it was not what i expected when i buy things in this summer Like Wavelab 9 pro or C9pro.
And that trough a combination of things, Grace Period that is way too short, that within 6 months of time there are no updates for it..
Or i am i reading this wrong ? If you buy software the new user will not expect this.
Basically Cubase is a home recording system, you can use it at home, etc.
Not all musicians are bellied up with money, some even need to save money a long time for it.
When you buy software you expect a longer time of support and updates.
Though i have a C6 version that works, and that is why i know Steinberg makes great software.
C95 runs very well and is for me the best C version yet. Though working with Halion 6 comming from Kontakt, Halion 6 is just the best in sampling, though Kontakt is proudly also very good. Groove Agent 4 is about the best Drumsampler around.
So i am happy with what i got, i just did not expect this and maybe i only ask for a longer Gace Period time of like at least 1 year warrenty to get free update to all that has been buyed new.
You stated that Cubase 9 was defunct and that is untrue and that was my only point on this occasion.
All else is opinion and we may or may not differ on those.
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.0, Absolute Collection 3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Cubase Pro 9.5.0, Absolute Collection 3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1
Tascam US1800, Steinberg Midex 8.

Cubase Elements 9 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM
Cubasis 1.9.9 iPad Mini 4 64GB

thirdfocus

Post by thirdfocus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:45 pm

thirdfocus wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 am
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:35 am
I have taken this subject a few times and i agree all 9.xx updates should be free, that is market conform and you don't have this supprice spending like money on C9pro, Halion6, Groove Agent and WL9. C9.5 was out in a few months and WL9.5 was also out in a few months after i bought the stuff or full steinberg prices. Like the about 4 weeks update free limit, it is kinda harsh to pay for updates within a few months that i bought it in the shops. But hey it seems to be the system of steinberg to do so, i was suppriced such a big company still has payed updates within the version.... Even if they would make the Grace Period like 6 months or 1 year, that would a great help. But V9.xx versions within the manin version, should be free update.
100% i Agree with you. I spent Full Price of cubase pro 9 which was £499, a month later they decide to have a update to 9.5 which we should get it for free as people who buy cubase now; is exact same price £499 and get the 9.5 version without paying £549. Game updates , or any other daw updates don't make users pay for updates..
Wel it seems to be that longtime Cubase users are used to the system, and new users are not used to the steinberg update system. Are they are even driving you away forwarding you to goto Reaper or other systems. That is bad for Steinbergs, new users should be comming in and if they see the update system as free they should be heard also. To me the Grace Period is way too small. The update system way too wierd and gives a disaapointing feel to new users.
I do like cubase compared to other Daws, but steinberg are sneaky Bastards they force users to pay for this .5 yet they won't give any new updates to 9.0 users anymore wow... I only recently brought Cubase Pro 9 in October at full retail price i have a disability harder to find work, i never have money. But even if i did have the money to pay for this £50 upgraded version of "9" version as this is unfair, i guess these long cubase users are used to paying these unfair versions. over the years Steinbergs will lose customers by this, well new customers. Ableton, bitwig, Studio one, FL Studio Dose not force users to pay for a silly update with Some added features. They make you pay for a new totally new version with many more useful features, and GUI improvements. But steinberg rather not wait till next version up they rather make you pay money under a year or less and stop updating the 9.0 Version, steinberg rushes to get 9.5 "update" out and make you pay with full of bugs and being unstable i've heard... steinberg only want your money, money *clap* slaves.

Return to “Presales”