Activating Cubase (legal/support inquiry)

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
QBass

Activating Cubase (legal/support inquiry)

Post by QBass » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 pm

I would really appreciate it if any official Steinberg rep provides me with an answer to each of the following scenarios. I am a Sonar user from South America and would like to opt for the special competitive crossgrade price available as downloads at SweetWater, FullCompass, etc. My local distributor is not aware of this special and not even have Cubase 9. So I need and want to purchase it online. My concern is regarding activation of geo-tagged software, support and updates.

1) I go on vacation to US. Purchase the Cubase crossgrade download from Sweetwater. Activate the product while I'm in the US and then go back to my country.

A) is that legal from Steinberg's point of view? Am I a legit user from Steinberg's point of view?

B) will I receive support from Steinberg.net?

C) will I be able to legally receive updates as well as purchase future upgrades?

2) I go to the US on vacation and buy a BOXED product of Cubase. If I go back to my country and try to activate it, it won'twork because all boxed Cubase sold in the US are geo-tagged to be used only in the US?

3) If I purchase a boxed version of Cubase from ANY store other than the local distributor for my country, it will never work?

4) If in any way I am lucky to get the Crossgrade download and I get the famous message "The activation code you entered was intended for use within the USA and you seem to be located outside the USA. While you can still proceed to activate the license, you might not receive any official technical customer support or updates in case you are located outside the USA as this version may be a Gray import." And proceed to activate it.

A) is that legal from Steinberg's point of view? Am I a legit user from Steinberg's point of view?

B) will I receive support from Steinberg.net?

C) will I be able to legally receive updates as well as purchase future upgrades?

Thank you in advance!

Return to “Presales”