Two Questions

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
Stillman Mackay

Two Questions

Post by Stillman Mackay » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello

I am a composer of symphonic works, and use Finale 14.5 to document my works.

I want a big orchestra sound and I am not getting it in Finale with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.

I am considering Cubase Artist to improve the playback quality. I have two questions:

1)Do you get all the instruments of a standard orchestra with Cubase Artist?

2) Finale has a sound balance problem. After you assign note velocities to each instrument in a score, It is difficult to hear all instruments on a single beat, and then change and document one that is out of balance. Example - opening measure – all instruments are playing – I have assigned mf to a flute – but it is too loud – want to test various velocities and change it (probably to mp). How is this accomplished in Cubase?

Regards
BudM

ColinPark

Re: Two Questions

Post by ColinPark » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:39 pm

You don't get much in the way of orchestral sounds in Cubase. Yes, there are instruments like Cello Duo that aren't bad, but what you really need is HSO (Halion Symphony Orchestra), which is about $50 and pretty good. Especially for that price. Cubase's note expression is a huge help in getting the most from it.

The Cubase Key Editor is better than the score editor when it comes to tweaking dynamics. I think you have to use Cubase pro to get the dynamics as a separate lane in the key editor. Changing the note velocity has less impact on the volume than the dynamic markings (mf, pp, etc). However, in any Cubase, I think you can edit the mod wheel, which is used to control dynamics. You can also redefine the meaning of mf, f, ff, etc.. (I can't remember if that affects the whole orchestra or just one line.)

You could change mf to mp in the score editor, on the flute line. This shouldn't have any effect on the other instruments. There are other things you can do to make it fit into your woodwind section, such as tweaking the timbre of the flute in HSO, nudging the moment of note on in the key editor by a couple of ticks, throwing on an EQ, and so on. Modifying the timing is great for getting a more natural sound, but it can mess with the score editor rendition of the piece. I find it easiest to start with the score editor, then shift to the key editor without looking back. (Or just play the line on a MIDI keyboard, and skip the score editor.) If you are committed to score editing, Dorico might be a good idea. I've never tried Dorico because I only use the score for rough approximations early on.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 9.5.0 [build 55], HALion Sonic 2, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet,

planarchist

Re: Two Questions

Post by planarchist » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:51 pm

You should still be ble to use the Garritan Personal Orchestra from within Cubase if you have it as a VSTi so the instrument set within Cubase shouldn’t be an issue.
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.0, Absolute Collection 3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Cubase Pro 9.5.0, Absolute Collection 3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1
Tascam US1800, Steinberg Midex 8.

Cubase Elements 9 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM
Cubasis 1.9.9 iPad Mini 4 64GB

Return to “Presales”