A Little Help For an Orphaned Sonar User

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
husker

A Little Help For an Orphaned Sonar User

Post by husker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Greetings,

Sonar went under yesterday, which is sending us Sonar users scrambling. I'm hoping that someone can help me out, as I am considering Cubase.

Background - I am a hobbyist, and a new one at that. I bought my first DAW only 18 months ago. Sonar would continue to run for a long time, but I am still in learning mode, and that would be time wasted for me to stay with Sonar. I would prefer to move to another DAW now.

I am a synth guy -95% of what I do is midi, VSTs, and external synth modules - I do very little audio. Consequently, Midi is very important to me. From my reading, Cubase is the midi king. I have demoed Reaper (meh) as well as Studio One (midi isn't great), so maybe Cubase is the way to go for me. Unfortunately, Cubase does not have a demo, so I would be buying on faith. I have a few questions:

1) Sonar had something called instrument definition files - one could create files that Sonar would read to select exact patches directly on the track, or as a midi event in the event viewer. Does Cubase have something similar?

2) As I stated before, most of what I do is midi. I assume one can take a midi - then route it to either hardware or a VSTi? Can you simply replace a VSTi with another on the same track?

3) I was very used to Sonar updating every month. I see that Cubase puts out a new version about every year. Are there intervening bug fixes at all?

4) I have a Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen as well as a Motu Midi Express USB. I assume that would be OK in Cubase?

5) For VSTs, I use Waves Plugins as well as the Eventide Anthology X series. Should be OK?

6) Synths - I have Komplete Ultimate, EastWest Play (with various libraries), UVI Vintage Vault 2, Arturia V Collection, and Synthmaster. Any issues?

Again, I appreciate any help here. Not having a demo really hurts.

Thank you Cubase users.
Cubase Pro 9.5

Homebuilt PC - Gigabyte GA-170 HD3, Intel Core i7 6700k OC 4.5 GHz, Corsair Hydro H50 Cooling, 16 MB GSkills Ripjaw DDR4-2133, SanDisk Ultra II 960 Gb, NZXT-S340 Case, ASUS VE-278Q

Interfaces - Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen / MOTU Midi Express XT USB

Hardware - Roland FA08 / Moog Slim Phatty / Nord A1R / Maschine Mikro / Integra 7

Martin.Jirsak
Grand Master

Re: A Little Help For an Orphaned Sonar User

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi and welcome,

Cubase doesn't have Trial version at this moment, because new version was released recently, and the Trial has not been released yet.

1) Yes.

2) Yes and yes.

3) Steinberg releases around 4-6 maintenance updates per year for free. Every year it releases a new major version X.0 or X.5, which is paid.

4) Yes.

5) Yes.

6) No issues, lots of users are using these VSTis in Cubase.
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)

hesca116

Post by hesca116 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Husker,
Sorry for the long reply, but you gotta get in on this.

Basically, if its audio, and you wonder "can I do it?", Cubase does it.

Cubase does everything. Period. You should DEFINITELY go for it.
Through the last 15 odd years I´ve moved over from being a Cakewalk user, then went to Sonar, then to Pro Tools (ugh, the "no 64bit" version) and then oh the glorious day when I came across Cubase 5.

I´m a certified trainer now, and can say that Cubase has EVERYTHING you need and more, out of the box, without purchasing any other 3rd party software. On that alone, its a great investment. Here's the gist of it:

1. MIDI sequencing and management for composing and instrumental arrangement, with the included virtual instruments ranging from classic analogue, granular and wavetable synths to the sampled drumsets of Groove Agent SE, and the rich sampler library of Halion Sonic SE. If thats not enough, you can use 3rd party VSTi's, or connect with external MIDI devices. When you´re done with your arrangement, your FULL score is created automatically, just a couple of clicks away, ready to be printed out!
Cubase also features functions that let you extract MIDI from recorded audio (both rhythmic and melodic material, for example, for Drum Replacement), and routing options to get separated audio outputs from your Virtual Instruments, as well as Drum Maps, input transform tools, expression maps, and editors that allow you to change the properties of thousands of MIDI notes in a matter of seconds. Oh and lets not forget the automatic harmonization tools that allow you to change the whole harmony of a song by selecting the chords that you want the tracks to follow, which also applies changes to audio tracks.
2. Audio recording, with all the tools to control and provide a creative environment for any project, ranging from the 2 channel interface "on-the-go user", to the full fledged professional recording facility with multiple rooms, separate cue mixes, multi-speaker monitoring schemes and multi-computer synchronized playback, recording and mixing networks. You can even use Cubase as a live recording/mixing rig.
3. Audio editing in the quality range of the best standalone tools in the market such as Melodyne or Autotune. You can timestretch all audio to make it match your tempo. And you can edit your recorded vocals or monophonic instruments to reach an astounding pitch precision. The only thing Cubase does not do in terms of audio editing, is polyphonic detection, but this is not a vital tool anyway. Oh! and one of the best features: the ability to quantize a whole drum recording IN SECONDS, instead of having to manually do thousands of cuts and crossfades.
4. Music Mixing and mastering, offering 72 native plugins for every and any task you might possibly need to accomplish, from EQ and compression to modulation, distortion, delay, advanced metering, and even convolution reverb, multiband compression, and M/S ecualizing. Plus 15 offline audio processors, 18 MIDI effects, and surround panner for mixing up to ... I think its 22.2 output channels. AND, support for 3rd party plugins in case you need anything more.
Cubase also offers automation for every knob and slider in the whole system with a comprehensive control panel and VCA faders. Plus, an intuitive bus management system that lets you create parallel channels or groups in a couple of clicks, and even load any external audio processor as a plugin with sample precision sync.
5. Video handling. You can import video and compose synchronised soundtracks, record dialogue, or create SFX tracks for audiovisual projects
6. More. This is just the "main stuff".

Cubase is huge. This is the one thing its got against itself. It does so much, that it can be overwhelming and not very user friendly at the begining. But then, you´ll start discovering new stuff constantly. I´ve been discovering for the last 6+ years and it keeps getting better and better.

Seriously, give it a try. You wont regret it.

Biodiode

Post by Biodiode » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi,

I had to chip into this thread to thank you both for a detailed reply as I am also an orphaned Sonar user. I used to be a Cubase user way back in the Atari ST days, okay showing my age a bit there. I have tried demo versions of Studio One and Ableton Live and both are a real pain when it comes to setting up multi-out VST's like Omnisphere.

In Sonar you could drop the VST into your arrangement view, add a new midi channel with a corresponding audio channel and you were good to go. I am hoping Cubase is very similar in style to this.

Kind Regards

Adrian

Marmaduke_8

Post by Marmaduke_8 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Another potential Sonar orphan here.
I looked at the crossgrade stipulations and couldn't see how I could prove ownership of Sonar Platinum. Would a JPG screenshot of my 'About' screen suffice, which shows my serial number? And when and where do I provide this? Does it get asked for at checkout with a link where to send it?
Thanks.
Cubase Pro 9.5 [In Test!]
Studio One 3.5.2
Sonar Platinum [RIP]
Addictive Drums 2
Halion Sonic 3
Sample Tank 3
Ozone 8
Too many plugins
1 lava lamp

wienryk

Post by wienryk » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:33 pm

I am also user of Sonar Platinum. I bought cross-grade version of Cubase Pro 8.5 from Pro Tools. I am wondering if this cross-grade is going to be with all instruments (VST) full version? The one what I got from Sweetwater has only trial version of all VST. To buy full versions I'll pay all together as much as regular price.

husker

Post by husker » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 am

Thank you for your replies. This helps.

Has anyone actually created the patch scripts for external hardware?
Cubase Pro 9.5

Homebuilt PC - Gigabyte GA-170 HD3, Intel Core i7 6700k OC 4.5 GHz, Corsair Hydro H50 Cooling, 16 MB GSkills Ripjaw DDR4-2133, SanDisk Ultra II 960 Gb, NZXT-S340 Case, ASUS VE-278Q

Interfaces - Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen / MOTU Midi Express XT USB

Hardware - Roland FA08 / Moog Slim Phatty / Nord A1R / Maschine Mikro / Integra 7

Martin.Jirsak
Grand Master

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:12 am

husker wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 am
Has anyone actually created the patch scripts for external hardware?
Yes, you can find lots of them online on different servers. Try to ask Google. ;-)
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)

Return to “Presales”