Update price differences

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
jasonwoodman

Update price differences

Post by jasonwoodman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Update from Cubase 7 / 7.5 / 8 - £171
Update from Cubase Pro 8.5 - £136
Difference £35 (!?)

Update from Cubase Pro 8.5 - £136
Update from Cubase Pro 9 -£51
Difference £85 (!?)

People who are updating from 7 are getting a steal. 8.5 users, not so great

I guess I have to wait for a better price, as I'm on 8.5.

Starsprinkler

Re: Update price differences

Post by Starsprinkler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 am

Nothing strange about that. It's normal update price from 8.5 (getting the 9 cycle, both 9.0+9.5).

Updating from 7 is a bit cheap compared, but that won't hurt you. If someone skipped the whole 8 cycle, you can't expect them to later pay fully also for that previous cycle they skipped. And Steinberg of course want them too to update, and not be stopped by unrealistic high update price.
(Maybe you want to argument that you skipped 9.0, but that version is too new to discount in that way).

It's your choice if you think it's worth the update price, or if you prefer to wait for a summer sale or so.

jasonwoodman

Post by jasonwoodman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 am

It's not strange, it's unjust,

I hope you can see the slight irony in what you've written there, as it's exactly the unrealistic update price (In my view) which is going to stop me from updating. So, it's still a loss in their financial court, as I can wait for the better price later down the line.

My point is this, Why should someone who's not updated since version 7 get a £35 difference in updating to me, the guy who has spent out on 3 updates since then?
Financially, I think it does hurt the later version holders, as it feels like we're paying the bulk to save older version holders from paying higher prices. It also hurts our loyalty towards them through lack of gratitude.
Paying an £85 difference between 8.5 and 9 is just too much of a difference, in my view.

Starsprinkler

Post by Starsprinkler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:11 am

Well, he pays less because he did not update his program for all those years, while you could use an updated program during these years.
Instead of staying updated, he saved some quids. It's not unjust. It costs to stay on top, basically.

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 am

Each of these upgrade options has an infrastructure cost and require a different set of eLicenser activation codes. They can't remove the upgrade paths for very old versions because people would get mad, and of course they need a few entries for Cubase Artist and its old versions too. So a few entries had to be consolidated, meaning that yes, the VERY small number of people who still use Cubase 7 can upgrade to 9.5 for slightly cheaper than if they had bought each upgrade separately.

Stop thinking only about yourself for a moment and you might realize that the majority of current Cubase 7/7.5 users are most likely just casual musicians. Cubase 7 and 7.5 weren't very popular and almost everyone rushed to upgrade to Cubase 8. Someone who hasn't upgraded from one of the most unpopular versions after 5 years simply doesn't care much about what the DAW offers, and if the cost to upgrade is too high they simply wont upgrade at all!

Cubase 9 and 9.5 are more stable and faster (both in terms of performance and workflow) than previous versions and together they fulfill nearly every major feature request ever. Your version is very recent, so the price to upgrade is more than fair.

It's completely ridiculous to wait 5 years to upgrade only to receive a minuscule discount of just 50 bucks. Please don't be silly. That's probably less than what you spend on gas every week.
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

jasonwoodman

Post by jasonwoodman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 am

Interesting,

The very small number of 7 users are not likely to update and if they do, due to their minuscule numbers will have the least impact on sales revenue, out of all the customers.

Acknowledged...

Obviously I'm not just thinking of myself here, or I wouldn't have even noticed the differences in the first place. Although, that's who I should be thinking of, Why shouldn't I be? I'm talking about potentially buying software with my hard earned money.

I won't be updating as I stand by what I said earlier. Your perception differs to mine.

"Paying an £85 difference between 8.5 and 9 is just too much of a difference, in my view"

Return to “Presales”