Score Editor In Pro vs Artist

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
mdimer

Score Editor In Pro vs Artist

Post by mdimer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 am

I have demo-ed AI and Elements. Their score editor leaves a lot to be desired. For example, you can display at most 4 bars in the view. Also, you cannot select a long passage over several bars, if it goes beyond the 4 bars in the view. This is an impossible workflow for me, as I use score editors as my primary midi editing tool. In sonar and reaper, you can select any number of bars; the view scrolls to the right when you reach the edge. Also, you can have as many bars in the view as you want (well, to a point, of course, but 10 or 12 in reaper is possible).

My impression is that Artist has the same score editor as Elements, with the same limitations. So, what about Pro? Are these things possible there? Cubase is very impressive in many ways, but it all comes down to workflow. I need more flexibility in the score editor. If Pro has it, I might be interested in it.

Thanks,

Michael

Defyingsilence

Re: Score Editor In Pro vs Artist

Post by Defyingsilence » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am

There are many added features overall not available in cheaper versions verse cubase 9 pro. I don't use score Editor but have it open right now in cubase pro 9. I can see the entire song for that midi part when opened and can select the entire sheet. Seems to be decent many features available. Regardless If Sonar works for you and keeps your workflow consistent keep using it, is still a good daw. I have both Sonar Reaper and Cubase Pro 9. Excluding the score features you use and are use to using with Sonar or reaper, Cubase pro 9 is light years ahead of sonar and reaper both combined. However, Sonar still has some of the best sound sets out of the box and synths available. I personally find Sonar confusingly akward. Regardless If considering a change I would certainly contact Steinberg themselves with any and all questions, send them images as well screen shots to reference so there is no confusion with what you are asking.

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 am

The Cubase Pro score editor is far more advanced than the one in lower tier versions.
Example from an old version:
http://a.pomf.cat/pudtey.png

You can read more about it by taking a look at the manual here:
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... out_c.html
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

mdimer

Post by mdimer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Thank you Defyingsilence and Romantique TP for your helpful replies. I have looked through the manual for the score editor, and I think my questions have been answered. It does appear that the issues I mentioned are not a problem in Pro. I guess the next step is to demo Pro.

Return to “Presales”