Thinking about getting Cubase 9, a couple of questions

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
Tyrion101

Thinking about getting Cubase 9, a couple of questions

Post by Tyrion101 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 pm

I was first wondering if my iLok counts as an "e-licenser" or if I need yet another "e-licenser" just to use this product. My second question is, does Cubase use steps and beats or note values for midi? My next question is, how easy is it to transfer between notation software and Cubase (think Sibelius, or Finale) My final question is, how exactly do I try it out? The demo page just sends me to a store to buy an "e-licenser."

Martin.Jirsak
Grand Master

Re: Thinking about getting Cubase 9, a couple of questions

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:19 am

Hi,

1) No, iLok is different USB key. You need Steinberg USB-eLicenser.

2) I'm sorry, I don't understand this. For time, Cubase can use Bars and Beats, Timecode, Seconds, Samples... For MIDI parameters, Cubase is using standard MIDI scale 0-127.

3) Use MusicXML format to export from Dorico (or others notation software) and import to Cubase.

4) You will get an Activation Code. If you want to try Cubase Pro you need to own the USB-eLicenser. If you want to try Cubase Elements you don't need this. Then in the eLCC application click to Enter Activation Code and download your Trial Lucerne to the eLicenset. Now you can start to use Cubase.
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)

ColinPark

Post by ColinPark » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Cubase represents MIDI pitch in the standard way. Middle C is called C3, but it's basically note number 60. When applied to a drum kit, it might be treated as a high bongo. When it come to marking time, it uses number strings such as 7.1.2.79, where 7 = bar number, 1 = beat number, 2 = sub-beat number (for example, there would be 1/2/3/4 here if your quantize is set to 16th notes), and 79 is the tick number. There are 120 ticks in a sub-beat. In terms of milliseconds, it would depend on the tempo. This is for working with time in a musically meaningful way.

However, there's also a timecode. This is useful for synchronizing Cubase with other things. (See timecode source documentation, for example).

You can also change the resolution in the key editor to show samples. It's not clear to me what that means for MIDI, since I think of the sample rate as an audio track preference you set when creating a project. Trying a little test, I find the key editor (piano roll) goes down to an effective resolution of 200 samples in a project with a 44.1kHz sample rate. I guess that's about a 4.5 millisecond resolution. I suspect the actual resolution of time for MIDI events is the same as the sample frequency.
Last edited by ColinPark on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 9.5.10 [build 79], HALion Sonic 2, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet,

ultradust

Post by ultradust » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:58 am

Tyrion101, welcome to Steinberg! I hope you end up using and enjoying Cubase as much as I do. It's an excellent DAW.
Tyrion101 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 pm
My second question is, does Cubase use steps and beats or note values for midi?
Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think I know where you're coming from. Some applications sort of lock you into one way of editing MIDI. Cubase does "all of the above" - it has a drum editor (and beatmaking tools) and it also has piano-roll-style editing for melodic instruments (or if you just prefer working that way) and a list editor. That's one of the best things about Cubase - it's very flexible and lets you work the way you want.
Tyrion101 wrote:
My next question is, how easy is it to transfer between notation software and Cubase (think Sibelius, or Finale)
One thing I want to point out - you may want to take a look at the Cubase score editor itself. I've found it to be a powerful notation tool, and its built right into Cubase. You can use it as your MIDI editor if you want, and there's no need to go back and forth between an external program. So unless you're already working in an external editor, you might want to give it a shot. Cubase Elements and Artist include basic music notation and score editing and printing; Cubase Pro adds some professional features.

Also, you might want to check out Steinberg's own cutting-edge notation tool Dorico ( https://www.dorico.com ). It's still an early product, but I've found it to be intuitive and time-saving.

I've had success importing Finale projects into Cubase, although of course you have to go through the steps of assigning voices, dealing with various parameters, dynamics, etc. that don't transfer correctly, etc. It's a pretty typical situation when going between any notation software and any DAW, in my experience.

hesca116

Post by hesca116 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Tyrion101 wrote:
I was first wondering if my iLok counts as an "e-licenser" or if I need yet another "e-licenser" just to use this product. My second question is, does Cubase use steps and beats or note values for midi? My next question is, how easy is it to transfer between notation software and Cubase (think Sibelius, or Finale) My final question is, how exactly do I try it out? The demo page just sends me to a store to buy an "e-licenser."
1. e-Licenser is specific for Steinberg products, so your iLok wont work for authorizing Cubase
2. Yes. You can snap MIDI notes to a beats grid, or other time grids including timecode.
3. Its pretty easy. Cubase holds one of the best notation software outthere.
Read this: viewtopic.php?f=250&t=124412
4. Yes you need an eLicenser to try out the Pro version, but you could go for Cubase Elements Trial which I think, doesnt requiere an eLicenser (However, I believe the Score Editor is available only in the Pro version)

Also, Steinberg they just released Cubase 9.5 last week so the trials wont be available for a while.

Martin.Jirsak
Grand Master

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:41 pm

hesca116 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 pm

1. e-Licenser is specific for Steinberg products, so your iLok wont work for authorizing Cubase
No, some other vendors are using USB-eLicenser too. For example VSL or Korg, Arturia (in the past).

But you are right, iLok is different key than USB-eLicenser.
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)

hesca116

Post by hesca116 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:41 pm
hesca116 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 pm

No, some other vendors are using USB-eLicenser too. For example VSL or Korg, Arturia (in the past).

But you are right, iLok is different key than USB-eLicenser.
Oops well, thats good info Martin, thanks!

Whats important though, is that you can´t authorize Cubase with an iLok.

Return to “Presales”