Cubase Pro 9 licenses acquired via fraud sold on eBay

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
Franklinspired

Cubase Pro 9 licenses acquired via fraud sold on eBay

Post by Franklinspired » Tue May 23, 2017 10:23 am

A little while ago I ordered and payed a Cubase Pro 9 license via eBay.
I activated the software and registered it; so far so good.
A few days later I wanted to transfer other Steinberg software licenses to another USB dongle, but it turned out to be blocked. I contacted Steinberg support and shortly thereafter Mr. [mod edit] (Steinberg Support) emailed me that the license was acquired in the Steinberg online shop via a fraud. As a result my USB dongle was blocked.

Because I payed with my Paypal account, there is a chance of getting my money back. The guy selling on eBay calls himself Mr. Shiverz, lives in Polen and he seems to get his licenses via someone else.
Mr. Bartonlini assured me that all the necessary steps would be taken to prohibit fraud in the online shop again and to contact him after I get my money back.

Here is a link to the mentioned eBay ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEINBERG-CUBAS ... 2548.l4275

I thought I’d share it with you to prevent becoming a victim of these crooks.
Soft: Cubase Artist 9.0.30, Finale 25.4, Kontakt 5.
Hard: Mac Pro 5.1, 3.2 GHz - Quad Core, 16 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 Video Card, Dell P2415Q 4K Monitor, Apple Wired Keyboard, Apple Wireless Magic Mouse.
Audio: Steinberg UR242, KRK Rokit G3 Active Monitors, KRK 10s Active Subwoofer, Kawai MP7 Stage Piano.

-steve-
External Moderator

Re: Cubase Pro 9 licenses acquired via fraud sold on eBay

Post by -steve- » Tue May 23, 2017 1:20 pm

You should share that info in ebay feedback for your purchase, so that it will be seen by the people who need to see it.
Cubase Pro 9.5 | Windows Pro 10, GA-77x-UD5H | UR44 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid

neelmusic11

Post by neelmusic11 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Hello,

I was just looking at the same advert and was wondering if it was too good to be true! Were you able to get your money back ? and is steinberg doing anything to stop this fraud sales ? BTW was your cubase working till you wanted to shift to another USB stick ?

Thanks and regards
Neelesh

Franklinspired

Post by Franklinspired » Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 pm

Today I received a refund via Paypal.

I have notified eBay about the illegal actions of the seller.
Hopefully they will take the necessary steps.
Hard: Mac Pro 5.1, 3.2 GHz - Quad Core, 16 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 Video Card, Dell P2415Q 4K Monitor, Apple Wired Keyboard, Apple Wireless Magic Mouse.
Audio: Steinberg UR242, KRK Rokit G3 Active Monitors, KRK 10s Active Subwoofer, Kawai MP7 Stage Piano.

Franklinspired

Post by Franklinspired » Tue May 23, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi neelmusic11,

As I mentioned in my previous post, I got my money back.
Software was working, but USB dongles blocked so I could not remove the illegal licenses and apart from that I did not want to work with illegal software. Steinberg does not give support for illegal licenses.

The online froud has been taken care of, from what I understoond from mr. [mod edit] (Steinberg support).
Don't know if any further steps are taken in that regard.

sameralkhan

Post by sameralkhan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:51 am

thank you for sharing i have the same problem with the same seller on ebay
Win764 intel i7-3930K CPU 3.20GHz 56.0 GB Ram CubasePro9 WavelabPro9 Halion6 Halionsonic Kontakt EastWest RME Hollywood Strings
HollyWood Brass

sameralkhan

Post by sameralkhan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:57 am

hi....
thank you for sharing i have the same problem with cubasepro9 and the same seller on ebay
i need some help here...plz
did you contact the seller on ebay for refound or you contact ebay stright away?
i did report my case to steinberg and the told my to contact ebay
thank you
Win764 intel i7-3930K CPU 3.20GHz 56.0 GB Ram CubasePro9 WavelabPro9 Halion6 Halionsonic Kontakt EastWest RME Hollywood Strings
HollyWood Brass

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 pm

sameralkhan wrote:hi....
thank you for sharing i have the same problem with cubasepro9 and the same seller on ebay
i need some help here...plz
did you contact the seller on ebay for refound or you contact ebay stright away?
i did report my case to steinberg and the told my to contact ebay
thank you
You should of course contact Ebay and Paypal immediately....I hope you paid with Paypal?
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

sameralkhan

Post by sameralkhan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:36 pm

yes i paid with Paypal and to be honest it was a mistake to buy software from ebay things might go wrong .
just one more and last question plz i did contact the seller and i explain the case to him and he say that he will send me a PDF form to fill and then he will send the refund now is this the right way? im asking just because i never been i a situation like that before...
thank you for your time
HollyWood Brass

jaslan

Post by jaslan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:01 am

sameralkhan wrote:yes i paid with Paypal and to be honest it was a mistake to buy software from ebay things might go wrong .
just one more and last question plz i did contact the seller and i explain the case to him and he say that he will send me a PDF form to fill and then he will send the refund now is this the right way? im asking just because i never been i a situation like that before...
thank you for your time
I guess it can't hurt to see what the .pdf form is but if it asks for personal information, I would not fill it out. He sold you a fraudulent product. He really needs to simply refund the money. Period. If he doesn't eBay will deal with him.
The form may just be some sort of customer satisfaction stuff or something harmless but he shouldn't need anything to refund your money. All he has to do is go on eBay and click a few buttons. I would NOT recommend dealing with the guy OUTSIDE of the eBay message system, etc. You already know he is a fraud.

I hope you get it sorted out.
Cubase Pro 9.0.30. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 3.6.5. and Jamstix 4.0. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

sameralkhan

Post by sameralkhan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:32 am

Thank you very much dear sir...
For your time and advice now ill contact eBay strigh away
HollyWood Brass

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:00 am

jaslan wrote: I guess it can't hurt to see what the .pdf form is but if it asks for personal information, I would not fill it out. He sold you a fraudulent product. He really needs to simply refund the money. Period. If he doesn't eBay will deal with him.
The form may just be some sort of customer satisfaction stuff or something harmless but he shouldn't need anything to refund your money. All he has to do is go on eBay and click a few buttons. I would NOT recommend dealing with the guy OUTSIDE of the eBay message system, etc. You already know he is a fraud.
You're language is much too soft about the scammer. Ebay has perfected all this, and it's purely binary. You don't get what you pay for, money is refunded, end of story. Any other communication from the seller, on ebay or not, is simply to further the fraud. The buyer and seller have agreed to the terms, and are Ebay's customers, and only Ebay represents the interests of either party. Very rigid, lowest-common-denominator driven system, but it works.

Of course you do have to read the manual. ;)

jaslan

Post by jaslan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:14 am

I am probably being too soft given that the guy is basically selling stolen property "illegally acquired". I suppose there is a chance (unlikely, I admit) that the guy got them from someone else and didn't realize the licenses were going to be blocked. Which is why I personally might at least make an attempt for a friendly exchange with the seller to ask for a refund.

But I have had to use the process before and it is not really binary. You do have to attempt to resolve the problem with the seller first. If you can't resolve it eBay will step in. Many of the cases are not so clear cut for example, a buyer and seller may disagree on whether a coin is mint or excellent, etc. You don't just click a button and eBay gets your money back.
Cubase Pro 9.0.30. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 3.6.5. and Jamstix 4.0. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:48 am

The product delivered was not valid, fraudulent. Such as a counterfeit coin. This is strictly black and white.

Franklinspired

Post by Franklinspired » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:14 am

Some additional info on the fraudulent business on eBay.

As I posted earlier I got my money back through the Paypal refund proces. Got my money back from the guy (a young Polish guy near 20 of age) after having to convince him with screenshots and a mail from Steinberg support.
However he keeps selling the illegal licenses and eBay does nothing to prevent it, given the fact that there are other victims.

The polish guy works with someone else who - as I suspect - does the online fraud. They work together.
However Paypal payments are secured and there is a good chance of getting your money back.

cocoazenith

Post by cocoazenith » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:26 am

I too bought from this guy. He gave me three licenses. One for Elements (the base one), one upgrade to Artist and one upgrade to Pro.
I already had an Elements license so I used that with the Artist & Pro upgrade and it worked. I now have Pro on my dongle and it works.
I haven't tried moving it and do not intend to.

However I tried to hand over the unused Elements code (the base one) to a friend and the activation does not work. He gets this message "Activation code cannot be used". I would've expected something like "Invalid code" or "Already used". So it's been probably been blacklisted already.

I don't want to use frauded licenses even though they "work" and even if they are not cracked. My previous DAW was Ableton Live and even though the torrents are filled with working cracked version - I did not use any.

Timo

Post by Timo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:20 am

I feel with you. I think Steinberg should publish some kind of information about this. Their activation code system has worked perfectly over the years, so people trusted each other when selling or buying steinberg software. If there are stolen license codes circulating, people should really know that.

OTOH, this guy sells new Cubase 9 Pro for 255 Eur - next best price in germany is ~500 Eur. One could at least have the idea that something is wrong here. On his ebay offer page, the guy mentiones "Produced in USA", article is located in Poland - abnormal to say the least.
Tanzmusik und Hochzeitsband: The Rainbows - Music & Fun

Ojustaboo

Post by Ojustaboo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 pm

This guy is still selling this item and currently has 33 people watching it.

I tried to report it but just got 3 pull down menus to select from which didn't really explain the problem.

I then tried to post on their forums but it got edited for naming and shaming and I was asked why I'm doing Steinbergs job for them and they should request the listing is pulled, which I suppose is a fair comment, I just wanted to stop others buying a worthless product.

Current listing is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEINBERG-CUB ... 0033.m2042

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 pm

In my opinion, this is a classic case of a person's need for cheapest price overriding common sense. All the red flags are there, his feedback tells the story, and his 94% rating is ridiculously low.

ceanganb

Post by ceanganb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:17 am

A. C.
Cubase 9.5 / Windows 10 Home x64 / M-Audio Fast Track C400
Intel Core i7 2700K / 32GB RAM DDR3 1333 Mhz / Asus P8H67-M EVO

Whitehead1

Post by Whitehead1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

You guys are idiots In my opinion, don't you think steinberg would block all of these licenses if this guy would sell them all the time ?

What are you talking about his negative feedback he got them for no delivery, there's nothing about fake licenses or *flower* like that, and you keep whining, shaming etc.

Even if he sold fake license he refunded you money and he maybe didnt know that these licenses was fake, or he got some fake ? lol

Thats odd..

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Nothing suspicious about someone registering just to defend an obviously shady seller.

Stores can only get keys from Steinberg and Yamaha. You can't "accidentally" sell a license activation code acquired through fraud.
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Really amazing. It really does look like the actual ebay scammer has come here to protest, based on certain info in his forum post. The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Should he be banned immediately? Or should he get a chance to shove his foot further up his, er, choose your orifice... ;) :P

Whitehead1

Post by Whitehead1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Look at you, you even think Im that guy :D :D :D :D
You're piece of ignorancy imo.

You should go to doctor or something, I just said what I think about that.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Whitehead1 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm
You're piece of ignorancy imo.
Whitehead1 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm
You guys are idiots
User banned for trolling.