Transformer and more

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
janklie

Transformer and more

Post by janklie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi,

I have some issues with setting up my template. Maybe someone could give me a hint.

1) I am not old enough to know, how MIDI was used, when it was invented, so I set up the channels like I have seen in some videos. With just one MIDI-Track per Rack-Instr on one channel, there is no problem. But I like to have 3 channels passed through and the rest disabled on one Instrument. I now tried to do it via Input Transformer and filter the channels. But I do not get it to work. I can achieve, that 2 channels are passed through, but not 3. I set it up like this (trying to only let ch 1-3 pass):

upper section:
channel-unequal-1 and
channel-unequal-2 and
channel-unequal-3
lower section: empty
Type: filter

If I delete one of the channels, that works, but not with 3 channels. To be honest, I am not very familiar with all this bool-stuff. Maybe it is about some missing brackets?

2) I have some rotaries on my QuNeo I want to use. When assigning it to QuickControls it works as an endless encoder as intended. But when I try to use it as Generic Remote to control CC7 on an instrument, it just jumps between 1 and 127. I have set everything the same way (with tags relative). Anyone know this problem?

3) Since the pads of the QuNeo are x-y-sensible, I want to use them to trigger chord pads and control Modulation and something else with them. One of the main problems of KMI-products seems to be the Vel-Response. The x-y-sensors however work pretty well. So I thought about converting a CC to velocity, so that Velocity responds to the x- or y-movement. I managed to transform velocity to CC, but not vice versa. Does anyone know, how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Jan ;)

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Transformer and more

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi,

I would recommend to create 3 separated threads.

1) If
upper section:
channel-unequal-1 and
channel-unequal-2 and
channel-unequal-3

Then only data on MIDI Channel 1, 2 and 3 will pass thru. MIDI Data on Channel 4-16 will be filtered out. Make sure the Module is enabled.

2) I wouldn't set the Flag as Relative, I would just keep the Receive flag enabled. Make sure the max value is 127. Does the QuNeo really sends values 0-127? Can you record the data to Cubase and confirm? Doesn't it send inc and dec?

3) I don't know. But Last Event Filter Target could be a key in the Input Transformer.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

janklie

Post by janklie » Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 am

Thank you very much.
Point one works!
Point three I found a workaround via PureData.
Point two is still to be solved.
The QuNeo-Rotaries have 2 Options: They can send values from 1-127 or only +1/-127.
I got everything to work in Cubase`s Mix-Console. I can assign it to faders there. But I would like to use the Rotaries to vary CC-Messages. And this seems to be a problem, because some VSTi (like VIPro) do not have a Quick-Control-compatibility. So I can just use the Rotaries like normal sliders. From 1-127. This works in VIPro.
What I would need is a script, where I can modify the input of the CC-Data. I tried this via PureData also, but I do not get it to work yet. I imagine, it could also work via the Input Transformer, but I do not find the right commands.
Do you have any idea there?

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Wed May 15, 2019 6:36 am

Hi,

Please set your MIDI keyboard to send the values 0-127. Make sure the keyboard is not used as any Remote Device. Make sure there is no Input Transformer on the track. Add MIDI Insert > MIDI Monitor. Move the rotary knob.

What can you see in the MIDI Monitor now? I expect you should see continues data 0-127. If not, why is there the setup on your keyboard?

If it sends really just inc/dec values (I couldn't imagine so), I did a patch to handle this in Max/MSP. It shouldn't be a big deal to rebuild it with PureData.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

janklie

Post by janklie » Wed May 15, 2019 3:03 pm

KMI has Software Editors for their products. There, in the case of the QuNeo, you can assign, whether you want the Rotaries to send values from 0-127 (after one turn it starts at 0 again) or if you want to send inc/dec. I did not check it with the MIDI Monitor, but in my VSTi you can clearly see it, for example when assigning the rotaries to a certain CC.
If you let it send values from 0-127 it does so. The resolution is quite good there.
If you do the inc/dec, it jumps between 1 and 127.
Could you maybe send me this Max-Patch, so that I can see it through?
I only have Ableton Live Light, so how would I be able to read it?

musicmayhem

Post by musicmayhem » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:24 am

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:23 pm
Hi,

I would recommend to create 3 separated threads.

1) If
upper section:
channel-unequal-1 and
channel-unequal-2 and
channel-unequal-3
Hello Martin. I am wondering why you are not using Channel bigger 3 in the upper section.

Return to “General”