Why do Audio Mixdown .wav files sound completely different then Cubase stereo outs?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.

st10ss

Re: Why do Audio Mixdown .wav files sound completely different then Cubase stereo outs?

Post by st10ss »

screenshot of the mixer window?
wich plugins do U use on the masterbus?
waht do you change right before you export a mix?
Steffen
DAW: Nuendo, Cubase, Wavelab
Plugins: Fabfilter, UAD, Eventide, Waves, Voxengo
Desks: A&H dLive (Live Sound), A&H QU16 (Live Sound), Yamaha DM1000(Home Studio)
i5 6400, 16GB RAM, Win10Pro 2004

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Re: Why do Audio Mixdown .wav files sound completely different then Cubase stereo outs?

Post by jaslan »

I had a couple of tracks that sounded different after mixdown when played through Windows Media Player. This was on a previous laptop that had some built-in "Beats Audio" crap that was adding bass and causing compression and "breathing". After researching and finding there was no was to disable the Beats audio dsp, I got rid of the laptop. There were some ways to "go around" the beats audio dsp by using different drivers, which is why it didn't happen in Cubase, because it uses ASIO all the way through. When using Windows Media Player it uses Windows audio until it gets to the audio interface and gets the beats "treatment". I think I tried using ASIO 4 All and it caused the audio to go around beats audio but as I said I got fed up with it and bought a new computer (it was time for one anyway). Bottom line it that a lot of audio devices these days have built-in dsp.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

st10ss

Post by st10ss »

good point, didn't thought about that
Steffen
Desks: A&H dLive (Live Sound), A&H QU16 (Live Sound), Yamaha DM1000(Home Studio)

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

st10ss wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:11 pm

I added a screenshot of my mixer! I dont make any changes before I export. It is as I show on my 1st picture.
So: Wave File", "Insert iXML", 44.1, 24-bit, mono mixdown ( or L/R doesnt make a difference,quality just as bad).
I got all individual buses? No groups and the main mixer. And I dont use any 3rd party plugins, just cubase stuff.

Thanks for replying:)
Attachments
Cubase Mixdownissue Mixer.png
(506.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet

st10ss

Post by st10ss »

the red sign with clip written in it has to say something

and I can not see any plugin
set your mixer to show plugins and do a screenshot again
Steffen

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

StellarSofa wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:55 am
st10ss wrote:

I added a screenshot of my mixer! I dont make any changes before I export. It is as I show on my 1st picture.
So: Wave File", "Insert iXML", 44.1, 24-bit, mono mixdown ( or L/R doesnt make a difference,quality just as bad).
I got all individual buses? No groups and the main mixer. And I dont use any 3rd party plugins, just cubase stuff.

you clipping the master output which is bad,first suggestion put the master output at zero,add maximizer/limiter plugin to the master insert for start,lower the other tracks volume if it hits the master output with clipping.this example is sure lack of knowledge with audio processing
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

st10ss wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 pm
the red sign with clip written in it has to say something

and I can not see any plugin
set your mixer to show plugins and do a screenshot again
Yes, its clipping. It was just an example track, but it doesnt come out well after mixdown on none of my tracks, also without clipping.
Evenso, I should change that.
Might sound stupid, but I cant find a way to show plugins on mixer. At my amateur level( in this area) this is what I do:
I open a default file, I open up Halion or Groove Agent that goes straight to the mixer and then make my tracks. Thats all I do. Also in the example track pictures I posted. I should do better, but In the past ( older laptops) this didnt had effect on exporting a mixdown. What do you advice me to do?

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

mozizo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:09 pm
StellarSofa wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:55 am
st10ss wrote:

you clipping the master output which is bad,first suggestion put the master output at zero,add maximizer/limiter plugin to the master insert for start,lower the other tracks volume if it hits the master output with clipping.this example is sure lack of knowledge with audio processing
Man, I feel dumb, but im not going to lie that I dot even knowing how to add maximizer on the master insert. I can add it to the Halion audio track etc, but dont know how to do it..My knowledge is very splintered in different areas, even the basics.
I try to find out though offcourse. I do know what youre trying to say and even do this in other programs (Reason), but here its just not easy for me to get done apparently.

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

well if other projects dont clip and the sound exported is not as expected,maybe its other things that go wrong.
upload images of your export window and connection settings window(F4 ) output tab and monitor tab. maybe something we can spot there. maybe it is a computer flaw ? i have no idea !
cubasis,cubase ic pro

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

mozizo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:13 pm
well if other projects dont clip and the sound exported is not as expected,maybe its other things that go wrong.
upload images of your export window and connection settings window(F4 ) output tab and monitor tab. maybe something we can spot there. maybe it is a computer flaw ? i have no idea !

I added some pictures from export menu and output tab! Luidspreker means speaker in Dutch. No Group FX or External FX used. I dont see the monitor tab you mentioned?
Yes, could be a computerflaw, I read on more places that some settings from computer are automatically applied to any file not used in Cubase self. But that should mean that when I put it on friends laptop or my phone it should sound normal? It doenst either. There must be a way around it! Im using a Lenovo i7 Y50-70 GTX 960M laptop by the way. Thanks again.
Outputs Menu.png
(66.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Device set up menu.png
(121.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Export Audio Mixdown Menu.png
(127.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

I dont see the monitor tab you mentioned?
hoo well my mistake, in newer cubase its "control room"tab, on cubase 6 it says "studio" in connection window (F4) (as in your öutput menu"pic )
there is the control room setup and routing there, try do disable it just to make sure no audio and other process is going trough control room section.
anyway try also to export NOT in real time, i see you use the computers audio card, maybe it somehow affect the sound when export in real time ?
cubasis,cubase ic pro

st10ss

Post by st10ss »

is control room enabled?
if yes and it is configured to the same outputs then everything will be louder on listening than on export
Steffen

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

mozizo wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:19 pm
I dont see the monitor tab you mentioned?
hoo well my mistake, in newer cubase its "control room"tab, on cubase 6 it says "studio" in connection window (F4) (as in your öutput menu"pic )
there is the control room setup and routing there, try do disable it just to make sure no audio and other process is going trough control room section.
anyway try also to export NOT in real time, i see you use the computers audio card, maybe it somehow affect the sound when export in real time ?
Ah, like that! Yes, I found it. I disabled it. Device port also already before I disabled said not connected?
Im going to export now, without realtime, didnt help before, but maybe now it does. Yes, it could be my computers audio card!

See following picture:
Studio menu Controle room disable.png
(67.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

st10ss wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 am
is control room enabled?
if yes and it is configured to the same outputs then everything will be louder on listening than on export
I disabled it now, but didnt know about that thanks. But its not really the volume that changes, more the quality of the music, it not as bright, very dry,
some of the frequencies of the music you dont hear at all. Its like a real bad quality mp3 thats the best I can put it.

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

Okay guys, so this is what happened. The picture I posted above was with controom room enabled, devices port and audio device not connected, which I think is strange, but then the sounds is perfect! Now I disabled control room, and now the track in Cubase seems to sound just as bad ( And lot less loud also?) as when I export it., but the exported sounds a lot louder, but cant really tell if quality is poorer, because now the Cubase version sounds worse ( less loud)...

Also, when I try to change it back to my not connected setting, it doesnt play anymore, it only plays when I wire it like following picture and now
the quality is bad in Cubase too? Really strange
'
Cubase enabled studio room.png
(41.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by StellarSofa on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

Try this...
After exporting your audio, import it into the original Cubase Project. Then compare that track solo vs. the rest of the original project.
If they sound they same, then, of course, something is happening to the audio PLAYBACK and not to the EXPORT.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

jaslan wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 pm
Try this...
After exporting your audio, import it into the original Cubase Project. Then compare that track solo vs. the rest of the original project.
If they sound they same, then, of course, something is happening to the audio PLAYBACK and not to the EXPORT.
Thats a good one! Will try asap!

StellarSofa

Post by StellarSofa »

jaslan wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 pm
Try this...
Sorry for the late reply, im busy in the middle of my house renovation, my house looks worse then my Cubase settings ;)

So I tried what you said, I imported the file back to Cubase and it sounds the same bad quality, but now I can even hear the difference better,
because I can listen to them directly, but I noticed a few other things doing this: I used another track of mine, where you can hear that the exported file or triggers notes differently or the mix settings in my laptop after export make some notes /tones come out better then the other. In anyway different and less quality than in Cubase.

Also when I export now(with control room disabled), and then play the song in Cubase, it plays just as bad as the exported version! So exporting changes something in Cubase too. And I cant get it back good again, not even with restarting track/cubase. Luckily I use test versions, the original version plays out fine in Cubase. This is such frustrating problem.

DeenaUK

Post by DeenaUK »

This problem is all over forums and I'm happy to say that you aren't going mad. The problem is caused if your interface and project settings aren't set the same. For example 41k and 24bit on the project and 48k and 32bit float on the interface. Set both to the highest settings your hardware and software will allow and if they are the same your exports will sound exactly the same as playback in Cubase. It is nothing to do with buses VSTs or any other settings. :D

Return to “General”