Frustration with Chord Track, voicing and other things

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
sherifs

Frustration with Chord Track, voicing and other things

Post by sherifs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:08 pm

So I'm a proud user of cubase since 12 years, I love it and I was very happy when the chord track fuctions was introduced

My problem is very simple,
1-I make a chord track which
2-I create different instruments playing rhythms like guitars, synth and so on, typical 1 or 2 measures
3-I duplicate these measures for the whole song
4-I select those tracks to chord track by selecting "Map to Chord track" so that I save the time needed to play all those tracks

My problem is that I get a messed up tracks when it comes to voicing, some notes are going crazy out of acceptable range, and very strange voice makes me need to do a lot of editing and waste a lot of time

When I used to use my Korg workstation the chords arranger was very smart and moves reasonable and do the voicing properly even for bass track

Stephen57

Re: Frustration with Chord Track, voicing and other things

Post by Stephen57 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 pm

I've found that the most effective way to avoid those kinds of odd leaps and voicings is to not use the Adaptive Voicing and Automatic Scale modes.

I'll often start with "Map to Chord Track" and then go back and adjust the chord voicing. I assigned Pads on my Control to change the voicing.

Also, after you've done "Map to Chord Track" go to the track's inspect under "chords" and turn off "follow chord track."
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 9 (current release); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converter, Scarlett 2I4; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST Instruments: Steinberg: HSSE, Retrologue 2, Groove Agent SE, Padshop, Mystic, Prologue, Spector; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3.

For help with Cubase:
Documentation - https://steinberg.help/
Everything you need to know about Generic Remote setups --
viewtopic.php?f=226&t=102993
The Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase for Users by Users viewtopic.php?f=198&t=23576

raino

Post by raino » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 pm

I agree with Stephen. While the Chord Track is great, especially at the start, to get a progression sorted out it really can't do the heavy lifting of getting the voicing how you want.

I'll often select the chords and drag them onto an Instrument Track. This creates a MIDI Part for each chord so I'll glue them together into logical music sections (verse, chorus, etc.). Then fine tune the voicings in the Key or Score Editors.
rodger

Cubase Pro 9.0.30, Win7 Home Premium 64bit (downgraded after disastrous Win10 upgrade), Halion5, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

sherifs

Post by sherifs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 pm

The problem is that the behaviour is not consistent, some time it works sometimes not, I really wished if it can just follow exactly the same chords note and not to put some funny out of range notes

raino

Post by raino » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 pm

sherifs wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 pm
The problem is that the behaviour is not consistent, some time it works sometimes not, I really wished if it can just follow exactly the same chords note and not to put some funny out of range notes
Can you be more specific about exactly how you've configured the Chord Track in its Inspector by posting a screen capture. Also have you tried the steps Stephen describes? Maybe post some of the inconsistent results you are getting.

I frequently use the Chord Track and while the voicings aren't always what I'd like I've never had them turn out wacky like you describe, so its likely just a setting somewhere.
rodger

Cubase Pro 9.0.30, Win7 Home Premium 64bit (downgraded after disastrous Win10 upgrade), Halion5, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Return to “General”