Project can not be saved - the project is corrupt

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
le_barde

Project can not be saved - the project is corrupt

Post by le_barde » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am

Hi,

I'm having an issue since 9.5.. never had that on previews versions.
Not sure what is causing it, but here for example I'm opening a project, working fine.
Just wanting to backup (backup project) to start a different version.
It does all it needs (copying, removing files...etc) but can't create the cpr file and say :
"project could not be saved because : the project is corrupt. No new project could be created".
What is weird is because if I just open that project and want to save it before doing the backup, it works fine.

First time I saw that message was when I copied an audio event from a project to another (having the 2 projects loaded).
Then it wouldn't let me save the project where I added the event, saying the same message.

There must be an issue somewhere. Didn't loose anything so far, but it makes me worried it could happen in a middle of a session.
I'll go crazy with saving new versions now :P

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Project can not be saved - the project is corrupt

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi,

Isn't a permission issue? Do you have a permission to write to the folder?
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Arijalmari

Post by Arijalmari » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:17 am

It's not a permission issue. I have exactly the same problem. Backing up projects ends up in "project could not be saved because : the project is corrupt. No new project could be created". I've never seen this before, just updated to 9.5.
C9.5 | Asus P8Z77-V | Intel Core i5-3570 | 32gb RAM | Win7 Pro x64 | M-Audio Profire 2626 | iPad Air 2 | Cubasis 2 | Cubase iC Pro | M Audio Oxygen 88 | Novation Circuit

Jaadoo

Post by Jaadoo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:42 pm

same problem here. It also happens randomly.
Win7 64bit, Cubase 9.5, Fireface 400

Arijalmari

Post by Arijalmari » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:27 am

Put in a ticket, so far no response.

Meanwhile I've managed to backup some projects, so it's not completely broken for me either, just random.
C9.5 | Asus P8Z77-V | Intel Core i5-3570 | 32gb RAM | Win7 Pro x64 | M-Audio Profire 2626 | iPad Air 2 | Cubasis 2 | Cubase iC Pro | M Audio Oxygen 88 | Novation Circuit

zipzep

Post by zipzep » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm having the same problem. Any solutions ?

trainermb

Post by trainermb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 am

Well, I found one awkward solution -- open the project in 9.0, save, then reopen in 9.5 and it's fine and proceeds to save just fine from 9.5. (I'm awarding myself a "Participant Ribbon" for my bravery.)

Cue the Twilight Zone music!

Hattrixx

Post by Hattrixx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm getting this too. Seems to be related to Direct Offline Processing and the Pool, somehow. I've managed to get round it by isolating the problematic channel, bouncing the DOP audio, then never opening the Pool. This isn't ideal, but at least I'm able to save.

le_barde

Post by le_barde » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I confirm it happens "randomly" here still.. sometimes it worked and sometimes it just wouldn't let me do.

Arijalmari

Post by Arijalmari » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 pm

trainermb wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 am
Well, I found one awkward solution -- open the project in 9.0, save, then reopen in 9.5 and it's fine and proceeds to save just fine from 9.5. (I'm awarding myself a "Participant Ribbon" for my bravery.)
Carry your ribbon proud.

However, this didn't work for me. Saving in 9, opening and backing up in 9.5 didn't change anything. Also got exactly the same behavior with 9.0.1 when trying to back up.

Just to clarify, I'm able to save, but not back up.

Arijalmari

Post by Arijalmari » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Hattrixx wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:37 pm
I'm getting this too. Seems to be related to Direct Offline Processing and the Pool, somehow. I've managed to get round it by isolating the problematic channel, bouncing the DOP audio, then never opening the Pool. This isn't ideal, but at least I'm able to save.
Thanks, this is perhaps progress...

Could you elaborate a bit on how you identified the problematic channels? I've got tons of offline processed parts, don't know how and where to start troubleshooting. I'm considering importing tracks to a blank project, one by one... :?

EDIT: Workaround. I successfully imported all tracks to an empty project and did it all with a single import. I don't know if it's some individual tracks causing the issue.

CrisNich

Post by CrisNich » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Export multitrack's ...create new project, import... no ?
Windows 7 - 64 / Intel i7 - 32gB
Cubase 5.1 / Mackie Unversal Control / FirePort Presonus FP10

krustyhabib

Post by krustyhabib » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm

That's what I did too. Funnily though, after the export the original project was cured. Voodoo methinks.

Update: same thing has happened again in all of my projects, but it won't correct itself like it did last time. I have dumped C9.5 and gone back to C9.0 till Steinberg offers a cure for this.
Last edited by krustyhabib on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Custom Studio desktop PC. Win 10 64 bit, i7, 8gb RAM, twin SSD's + 1 spinning hard drive.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 firewire interface.
Cubase 9.5; WaveLab 9.5; Superior Drummer 3.

Arijalmari

Post by Arijalmari » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 pm

CrisNich wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 pm
Export multitrack's ...create new project, import... no ?
That would probably work too, if you are suggesting that as a workaround.

However, I didn't need to export anything. Plain "Create new project / Import tracks from project" worked for me.

SF_Green

Post by SF_Green » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 pm

le_barde wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am
Hi,

I'm having an issue since 9.5.. never had that on previews versions.
Not sure what is causing it, but here for example I'm opening a project, working fine.
Just wanting to backup (backup project) to start a different version.
It does all it needs (copying, removing files...etc) but can't create the cpr file and say :
"project could not be saved because : the project is corrupt. No new project could be created".
What is weird is because if I just open that project and want to save it before doing the backup, it works fine.

First time I saw that message was when I copied an audio event from a project to another (having the 2 projects loaded).
Then it wouldn't let me save the project where I added the event, saying the same message.

There must be an issue somewhere. Didn't loose anything so far, but it makes me worried it could happen in a middle of a session.
I'll go crazy with saving new versions now :P
If you're on a Windows machine, I would run CheckDisk to look for and correct/re-map bad sectors on your hard drive. That could be the cause of the corruption. It's a good maintenance thing to do monthly anyway to keep this from happening in the future.
Cubase Pro 9.5.20, Wavelab Elements 9.5.20, SonarPt-2017.10, Live 10, Reason10, Finale 25, Komplete10Ult, Omnisphere2, BFD3, ARP Omni, many things with strings.
RME FireFace 800 (D 3.119, fw 2.77), Adam A7X, UAD-2Quad, Roland A-800 PRO, CC121, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, Maschine MkII, POD HD500
AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600
GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb
GrSltz My Studio

titchyblackcat

Post by titchyblackcat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 am

I've had this when upgrading Cubase.
As previouly said i start a new project and import the tracks
Cubase Pro 9.5 Wavelab 8 LE
Win 7 64 bit. Intel DQ77CP Motherboard with i5 3470 3.4Ghz Ram ddr3 8 GB
M-Audio 2496 Soundcard

le_barde

Post by le_barde » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:11 am

If you're on a Windows machine, I would run CheckDisk to look for and correct/re-map bad sectors on your hard drive. That could be the cause of the corruption. It's a good maintenance thing to do monthly anyway to keep this from happening in the future.
Is that applicable with SSD drives also ? The first google search took me to a comment that says no need for such thing with ssd.

I see the possible workarounds explained here, but it is so much quicker to remove all you want from a project and use that backup function to start a new project. I love that feature.
It does work every now and then, and sometimes makes me that corrupted project error.. I don't see the reason still.
Thanks for your answers :)

Photon

Post by Photon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 pm

I got the same error message just now. Here's how it happened:

Before the error message appeared:
Wanting to remove unused files in the Pool, I opened the Pool (Ctrl P), clicked on a single file, and then selected all the files (Ctrl A). Then I right-clicked, and selected "Remove unused media", and clicked the Trash button. Then I right-clicked again, selected Empty Trash, and again clicked the Trash button. [Edit: I meant the "Empty" button.] Then I closed the Pool.

Then the error message appeared:
When I tried to save, I got this error message: "The project could not be saved because the project is corrupt." Cubase prevented me from saving the project by any other means.

What I tried:
So, holding my breath, I closed the project, re-opened it, and saved it under a new name. Fortunately, all the audio clips in the project that I've tested so far play back correctly.

But I have a new problem:
Now every time I re-open the project, I see a requester box listing about 130 files. It says "Resolve missing files". Unfortunately, the missing files don't seem to exist. To eliminate the unwanted requester box, I've tried repeating the above Pool procedure again, but it has not helped.

I don't think this is a hardware issue, because my project is saved on a fairly recent Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive, which seems to be functioning well.

One suspicion I have:
I often re-draw wave forms in the Editor window, to remove audio glitches. After doing that, if I want to time-stretch the audio, Cubase requires that I make a new version of the file. I guess that creates multiple files of the same audio, and I wonder if Cubase is not handling those files correctly in its database. That's just a guess.

My conclusion:
Apparently, Cubase's file-name database was not properly updated when I emptied the trash in my original Pool procedure. So now it is referring to files that no longer exist. This has shaken my confidence in Cubase's file management capability. I'm worried that Cubase might delete files that I actually need. This is a serious bug that Steinberg needs to fix asap.

I'm using Cubase 9.5.1 on Windows 8.1 with an Intel Skylake processor.
Last edited by Photon on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 9.5 Pro. Processor: Intel Skylake i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz. RAM Memory: 32 GB. Audio Interface: RME Fireface UCX via USB. Hard Drive for audio: Western Digital Black 7200 RPM. Graphics card Asus Geforce GTX 1070 with 8GB memory.

Photon

Post by Photon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 am

I've solved the "new problem" with the following procedure, which I found in the 9.5 manual on page 538:
Removing Missing Files from the Pool
If the Pool contains audio files that cannot be found or reconstructed, you may want to remove these.
PROCEDURE
● In the Pool window, select Media > Remove Missing Files. [You have to right-click first to see the context menu.]
RESULT
All missing files from the Pool and the corresponding events from the Project window are removed.
However, this does not address the original problem, which is that the Cubase file list was not updated when I clicked the Trash button in the Media Pool window. Since the Trash button seems not entirely dependable, Steinberg should make it send files to the Windows Recycle Bin, so that they can be recovered if necessary, rather than deleting the files entirely.
Cubase 9.5 Pro. Processor: Intel Skylake i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz. RAM Memory: 32 GB. Audio Interface: RME Fireface UCX via USB. Hard Drive for audio: Western Digital Black 7200 RPM. Graphics card Asus Geforce GTX 1070 with 8GB memory.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Photon wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 pm
Before you start, is your project already saved as... somewhere? Or is it - after these steps you describe - a very first save of the project?
Photon wrote:
Wanting to remove unused files in the Pool, I opened the Pool (Ctrl P), clicked on a single file, and then selected all the files (Ctrl A). Then I right-clicked, and selected "Remove unused media", and clicked the Trash button.
Does this mean, you imported some files to the Pool before? So you didn't get just a recorded files to the Pool? Or how does it happen, you have some files in the Audio folder, which are not present in the Project?
Photon wrote:
Then I right-clicked again, selected Empty Trash, and again clicked the Trash button. Then I closed the Pool.
There is a message Cubase displays in this step. Did you select Remove from Pool or Erase, please?
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Photon

Post by Photon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm
Photon wrote:
Before you start, is your project already saved as... somewhere? Or is it - after these steps you describe - a very first save of the project?
The project was created months ago. It has been opened, saved, and closed many times since then. And I've removed unwanted audio files several times successfully, using the procedure I described. Recently, I've been time-stretching audio clips, and thereby creating new versions sometimes. This may be what was different this time, but I'm not sure.
Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Photon wrote:
Wanting to remove unused files in the Pool, I opened the Pool (Ctrl P), clicked on a single file, and then selected all the files (Ctrl A). Then I right-clicked, and selected "Remove unused media", and clicked the Trash button.
Does this mean, you imported some files to the Pool before? So you didn't get just a recorded files to the Pool? Or how does it happen, you have some files in the Audio folder, which are not present in the Project?
All of the audio files were created within the project, and I have never imported any. I have been recording numerous takes, and rejecting many, which is why unused audio files accumulate in the Pool.
Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Photon wrote:
Then I right-clicked again, selected Empty Trash, and again clicked the Trash button. Then I closed the Pool.
There is a message Cubase displays in this step. Did you select Remove from Pool or Erase, please?
I clicked the Erase button.

Actually, just now I tried the same procedure again, and after clicking the Erase button, the following message was displayed:
"Some files are referenced by clips that are still in the Pool. These files may not have been deleted."

Now, when I try to save, the following error message is displayed:
"The project could not be saved because the project is corrupt."

So I'm back to the original problem.

Thanks for your interest.

ColMC

Post by ColMC » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Yes I had a very similar experience as the original poster last week when I more or less did the same thing. My first disappointment was that there did not appear to be any reference to what a corrupt project is, what causes it and how to deal with it in the manual.
I created a folder on the desktop called MIDI and another called Audio. I then revisited the project file that I had copy and pasted the 2 corrupting files from and exported them to the empty folders. I renamed the corrupted project after removing the material I had pasted in and saved it. Then I imported the files from the desktop into the project to 2 new tracks 1 audio and 1 MIDI that I had created. I was then able to save the project.

krustyhabib

Post by krustyhabib » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Not good. I have had to abandon using C9.5 because it tells me that all of my projects are corrupt, even after I have previously saved them successfully. I reverted to using C9.0 and the same thing has happened. I exported a wav mix file to prepare for mastering and then tried to export an mp3 version immediately afterwards to email to a collaborator and Cubase froze. I had to exit via Ctrl+Alt+Del and when I re-opened the project and tried to save any changes I get the 'The project is corrupt' message. What the hell is going on?
Custom Studio desktop PC. Win 10 64 bit, i7, 8gb RAM, twin SSD's + 1 spinning hard drive.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 firewire interface.
Cubase 9.5; WaveLab 9.5; Superior Drummer 3.

peakae

Post by peakae » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:07 am

I had this happening once, it was totally my own fault.
I have modified my Mixdown script to create mp3, m4a and Flac versions of the resulting Wav file.
I had a pause in there to keep the Command Line interface stay open, when finished.
If I don’t close this window, and try to save I get this error.
Closing the CLI and I can save the project successfully.
This leaves me to believe that there could be a process that is not finished or returns the wrong message.
DOP would be a strong contender.
I know, not really helpful, but gives a little context.
Cubase Pro 9.5.30, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Darren The Musical

Post by Darren The Musical » Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 pm

OK, I don't know if this will apply to everyone but here's how I solved my problem.

I had a decent sized project - 2464 files - 141 GB - spread across 2 hours of time and 253 tracks. We saved it and backed it up in 8.1 with no problems. It then got opened in 8.2. Again, seemingly with no problems. Went to save it and that's when we received the error that the project was corrupt and a new version could not be saved.

I deleted every track in the project and STILL got the error. But I didn't empty out the pool. That meant the problem was a file that the pool was trying to reference.

I reloaded the project and started deleting tracks and removing the respective files from the pool and saving after each one. Finally found the offending track/files.

It was some files that I had done some Direct Offline Processing on. I checked to see what the process was in the DOP window and it said "not available." I believe, if I remember correctly, that the process was time stretching. Somehow DOP had lost track of what had been used, but did know that something HAD been used.

The project would load just fine. The files would even play back correctly. They had a correct waveform in the project and they reported as fine in the pool. They had the icon that shows they were processed.

But when I went to save it would show as corrupt. I bounced the files so as to make new ones that no longer had DOP, cleared the pool of the now-unused offending files, and everything saved correctly.

So there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the files themselves in my case, but that the DOP had lost track of the process that was used in the previous save. That doesn't seem to rise to the level of a "corrupted project" IMHO, but N8.2 just seems to have been flabbergasted.

I don't know if the 8.2 update did something so that the process that had been used is now called something different and 8.2 couldn't find what it was previously called, but boy wouldn't it have been nice if Nuendo could have told me where the problem lay.

Thanks!

Darren "DOP" Ingram
Mac 10.11.6 | Win 10 | N8.1 | MOTU Mach 5 v3.2.1 | Vienna Instruments Pro 2 | UR824 with 2.1.0 Firmware and 1.8.5 USB Driver | MIR Pro | 2 x ASUS VW266H monitors | 2 x HannsG monitors | Mac Pro Trashcan 8 Core named Thor | UAD2 Quad | 64 gigs RAM | Logitech G15 keyboard with 18 x 3 programmable keys | 3 x Genelec 1031A monitors | 3 x Dragonfly mics | 2 x AKG C214 mics | EV RE 20 mic | SL 880 Pro key controller | Lemur Software and iPad3 | liters upon liters of Diet Mt Dew | Wii addiction

Return to “General”