Increasing Bass Volume on a Audio Track

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
loughlinb

Increasing Bass Volume on a Audio Track

Post by loughlinb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Still a bit new with Cubase. I've successfully recorded several songs now and know my way around pretty well. I mic my guitar/drum amps into my Yamaha MG12XU mixer, then USB into Cubase 9 LE AI Elements on my pc Windows 10. I set all volumes at the preferred level (at 0 to avoid unwanted distortion/clipping) on both my mixer and in Cubase, and my recordings sound very clean and balanced. However, today I spent an a couple hours working on a new Bass guitar/Drum machine audio track, and finally got it perfect. However, when playing it back, the drums over-power my bass. Apparently I had the gain turned down on the mixer micing my bass. :o I've tried to figure-out (if possible) to increase the bass on this track, using compression, normalize and some other tools, but it just seems to increase the overall volume. Is there a way in Cubase to raise just the bass within an audio track, in order to balance my bass and drum beat volume?

thanks in advance!

Bill
Cubase 9 LE AI Elements, Win10, Intel i7, 32 gb ram, 27" HD Monitor, NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X. Yamaha MG12XU mixer, KRK Rokit 5 Gen 3 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, Shure SM57 mics, Marshall MG102CFX 100 watt guitar amp w/ 2x12's, SingularSound BeatBuddy drum machine, Simmons DA200s drum monitor, Gibson SG, Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez bass.

Playing guitar in a blues/rock band. Recording music in my home studio. Family. Jesus. My dogs. My truck.

shanabit

Re: Increasing Bass Volume on a Audio Track

Post by shanabit » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 pm

Click the waveform on the track to select it, there is a dot(circle) on the center of the waveform, grab that and drag it up
Cubase Pro 9.5.10/OSX 10.13.2 High Sierra
MacPro 2010, 14GB Ram, 2x 2.4Ghz Quad Core
Steinberg MR816X Tools ( Current)

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:38 pm

Select the track and then, on the info-line, increase the gain.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 9 (current release); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converter, Scarlett 2I4; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST Instruments: Steinberg: HSSE, Retrologue 2, Groove Agent SE, Padshop, Mystic, Prologue, Spector; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3.

For help with Cubase:
Documentation - https://steinberg.help/
Everything you need to know about Generic Remote setups --
viewtopic.php?f=226&t=102993
The Steinberg Forum Knowledgebase for Users by Users viewtopic.php?f=198&t=23576

toader

Post by toader » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 pm

If you recorded the bass and drums into Cubase as separate audio tracks, just turn up the bass track. If you recorded them as one single stereo or mono track, and they've been mixed together in your mixer, then the only way to record would be to redo the recording. I guess it depends on how you did it... That's one of the great things about multitrack recording... you can adjust the level/sound of individual instruments at any time as you prepare your mix.
Computer 1: Cubase 9.5.0, RME HDSPe AES (x2), RME HDSPe AIO (x1), Nvidia 510 video card, Dell T7500 workstation with Intel Xeon X5690 (6 cores with hyperthreading) 3.47gHz, 24GB RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Windows 10 64-bit
Computer 2: Wavelab 9.5, RME HDSPe AIO, AMD Radeon RX 480 video, Dell XPS 8720 with Intel I7-7700 CPU (4 cores with hyperthreading) 3.6gHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

https://www.noiseradiationstudios.com

loughlinb

Post by loughlinb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:14 am

Hi all, wow thanks for the quick replies! This is one audio track with my bass guitar & drum machine. I use this to later record my 2nd audio track with it for my guitar. Actually I played around with the waveform in Equalizer and raised it and now the bass volume matches the drum volume. Thanks!
Cubase 9 LE AI Elements, Win10, Intel i7, 32 gb ram, 27" HD Monitor, NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X. Yamaha MG12XU mixer, KRK Rokit 5 Gen 3 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, Shure SM57 mics, Marshall MG102CFX 100 watt guitar amp w/ 2x12's, SingularSound BeatBuddy drum machine, Simmons DA200s drum monitor, Gibson SG, Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez bass.

Playing guitar in a blues/rock band. Recording music in my home studio. Family. Jesus. My dogs. My truck.

Return to “General”