ASUS ROG or Prime mobo for Cubase?

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
SledDriver

ASUS ROG or Prime mobo for Cubase?

Post by SledDriver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

Are there any advantages or disadvantages (ignoring money) in getting a ROG v Prime Asus Mobo for a new PRIMARILY Cubase rig, which will be used for gaming too.

On paper the spec is almost identical.
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5.21-SL3, OS: Win 10 Pro x64 Build 16299.371, CPU: Intel i7-8700K delidded O/C'd @ 5GHz (running at around 34°C on air!! in Cubase), RAM: 32GB/DDR4 @2666MHz, Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A, SSD x4, Graphics: GeForce GTX 980Ti, 5 monitors, Audio Interface: FocusRite 18i20 Gen 2, Studio Monitors: Adam P11A+Sub8 with SonarWorks Reference calibration, MidiSport 2x2. VST’s include FabFilter suite, Waves, Kjaerhus Classic, Syntorus, Eventide, R2, PositiveGrid, Focusrite Red, Softube, iZotope, Native Instruments, Nugen, PSP, SIR2. VSTi’s include Arturia V6, Addictive Keys, FXpansion, Kiev Legacy, MinimogueLuxus, MusicLab, Native Instruments, Sonivox, Spectrasonics, Synthogy. Others include zPlane, jBridge, Sleepy-Time, Voxengo, YouLean, Cableguys.

mikefearn83

Re: ASUS ROG or Prime mobo for Cubase?

Post by mikefearn83 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 pm

go with Prime

SledDriver

Post by SledDriver » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 am

Yeah, that's what I ordered. Seems like the better choice for reliability.

And I note that Scan Computers who make music PC's, and have access to pretty much anything from their parts list, choose Prime for their music PC's.

Ta
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5.21-SL3, OS: Win 10 Pro x64 Build 16299.371, CPU: Intel i7-8700K delidded O/C'd @ 5GHz (running at around 34°C on air!! in Cubase), RAM: 32GB/DDR4 @2666MHz, Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A, SSD x4, Graphics: GeForce GTX 980Ti, 5 monitors, Audio Interface: FocusRite 18i20 Gen 2, Studio Monitors: Adam P11A+Sub8 with SonarWorks Reference calibration, MidiSport 2x2. VST’s include FabFilter suite, Waves, Kjaerhus Classic, Syntorus, Eventide, R2, PositiveGrid, Focusrite Red, Softube, iZotope, Native Instruments, Nugen, PSP, SIR2. VSTi’s include Arturia V6, Addictive Keys, FXpansion, Kiev Legacy, MinimogueLuxus, MusicLab, Native Instruments, Sonivox, Spectrasonics, Synthogy. Others include zPlane, jBridge, Sleepy-Time, Voxengo, YouLean, Cableguys.

AceCohle

Post by AceCohle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:29 pm

hey ! hello SledDriver, i'm about to build a pc with the same combo cpu motherboard and doing a research to know who turns on it with cubase , i found you .. I see that you have a nvidia card and it's for me a no go because my old setup on sandybridge was an nightmare with drivers ..my question is simple are you happy with this setup ? I mainly want to mix heavy project ..Thanks for the reply

SLL

Post by SLL » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:06 pm

I've also build a DAW setup around the Asus z370-a prime. I just love Asus' BIOS layout and structure. The board is nice, and I haven't really stumbled across any bigger problems. The DPC latency is pretty low out of the box, about 10-50 microseconds, with a few peaks about 150 microseconds from directx and and the OS kernel. If you disable the cpu's power status (c-states) in BIOS, the DPC latency is down to about 0-20 microseconds here, with no peaks.

I'm using a RME Raydat I/O card to my converters.

SLL

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”