Direct Offline Processing? Cannot uadition?? Only with that play button?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
toader

Direct Offline Processing? Cannot uadition?? Only with that play button?

Post by toader » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:30 am

Direct Offline Processing seems like a very cool feature... but am I correct in that you cannot listen to the effect in real-time like inserts? For example, open direct offline processing on the kick mic. Load EQ into it. Do NOT hit "apply" yet. Now I want to listen to a loop of the entire drum kit while I adjust the EQ in the direct offline processing window - until I'm happy with the sound of the kick in the mix.

It seems I can only listen though with that little play button... How am I supposed to hear how the adjustments will sound in the mix? Forgive me if I'm missing something here. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction so I know how to do this..

Thanks,
Todd
Last edited by toader on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Computer 1: Cubase 9.5.0, RME HDSPe AES (x2), RME HDSPe AIO (x1), Nvidia 510 video card, Dell T7500 workstation with Intel Xeon X5690 (6 cores with hyperthreading) 3.47gHz, 24GB RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Windows 10 64-bit
Computer 2: Wavelab 9.5, RME HDSPe AIO, AMD Radeon RX 480 video, Dell XPS 8720 with Intel I7-7700 CPU (4 cores with hyperthreading) 3.6gHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

https://www.noiseradiationstudios.com

Romantique Tp

Re: Direct Offline Processing? Cannot uadition?? Only with that play button?

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 am

The preview button is gone, but now you can preview, edit, and remove offline processing more or less the same way as inserts. DOP is pretty flexible and 100% non-destructive.

The Alt+Space key command behaves pretty much the same as the old preview button, playing the selected event/range and then stopping without muting the other tracks.
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

toader

Post by toader » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 am

Romantique Tp wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 am
now you can preview, edit, and remove offline processing more or less the same way as inserts.
How? I have a project open right now - I select an event on the kick drum track. I click +plugin, and add the studio eq. I set a filter to cut everything below 1000khz. I hit "play" on the main project transport, and I hear my song/mix playing, but I am hearing the entire kick - not the hp version. If I press the "play" button in the Direct Offline Processing window, it plays only the kick track, and the hp filter is working now, but it's playing only the kick.. I don't hear the rest of my mix, so I can't hear how the hp filtered kick is working within the mix.
Romantique Tp wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 am
The Alt+Space key command behaves pretty much the same as the old preview button, playing the selected event/range and then stopping without muting the other tracks.
This plays the range, but I am not hearing the effect until I "apply" it... I don't want to apply it though until I"ve had opportunity to tweak the effect while listening to the mix... but how do I do that?

I don't see how this feature works like inserts do... Without the ability to tweak the effect in realtime to hear adjustments (while the mix is playing), and when happy, then "apply" it, Direct Offline Processing is pointless for me. What am I missing?
Computer 1: Cubase 9.5.0, RME HDSPe AES (x2), RME HDSPe AIO (x1), Nvidia 510 video card, Dell T7500 workstation with Intel Xeon X5690 (6 cores with hyperthreading) 3.47gHz, 24GB RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Windows 10 64-bit
Computer 2: Wavelab 9.5, RME HDSPe AIO, AMD Radeon RX 480 video, Dell XPS 8720 with Intel I7-7700 CPU (4 cores with hyperthreading) 3.6gHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:44 am

Offline processing is completely non-destructive now, that's why Auto Apply is enabled by default. You can go back to that audio event and and edit, undo or remove every single offline process you've applied to it at any point during mixing.

Leaving Auto Apply on isn't exactly a real time preview, but leaving it on and using the key command I mentioned is the closest equivalent. I guess an option to not mute the rest of the project during audition could be a feature request.
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

toader

Post by toader » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 am

Romantique Tp wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:44 am
Leaving Auto Apply on isn't exactly a real time preview, but leaving it on and using the key command I mentioned is the closest equivalent. I guess an option to not mute the rest of the project during audition could be a feature request.
Yes, without this ability, I will probably NEVER use Direct Offline Processing. If it had this ability, I would use it CONSTANTLY.

SteelyDani

Post by SteelyDani » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:03 pm

toader wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:25 am
Romantique Tp wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:44 am
Yes, without this ability, I will probably NEVER use Direct Offline Processing. If it had this ability, I would use it CONSTANTLY.
You’re absolutely right. To eliminate the preview button is crazy. I used to use it several times in each mixing session. Now I do not do it anymore. An absurd retreat. I wonder who has come up with this brilliant idea. It is certainly not the first time that many of us miss every day Cubase functions that have been eliminated.
http://www.bcstudiorecording.com
BCS. Basque Coast Studio
Music is a gift from God to Man

Windows 10 (64)/ Cubase Pro 9.5/ WaveLab 9.5 Elements/ Halion 4 / Intel(R) I7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz - 32GB Dual Channel DDR4/ MOTU PCI-424 + 4 X 2408 mk3

Return to “General”