Cubase 9.5 Feedback Survey

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
fenderchris

Re: Cubase 9.5 Feedback Survey

Post by fenderchris » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 am

Romantique Tp wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 am
fenderchris wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:39 pm
It's all about finding a way to get more money out of the users while attempting to cover up bug fixes with new features.

In the past, .5 updates were not charged for.
That has nothing to do with his post.

You're also forgetting a few things:

-There hasn't been a free X.5 update in almost 10 years.
-When X.5 updates were free they were MUCH smaller in scope.
-X.1 updates, like the one Nuendo just got, fulfill the same role as old X.5 updates.
-Installing a major update on top of your previous version blindly is stupid. If you run into issues that get in the way of work with the newer version, you're screwed because there's no easy way to go back to the previous version if you just overwrite it.
Why on earth do they think it acceptable to put the users through all this 'trash the preferences' garbage with every update?
If you have to trash your preferences with every update then there's something seriously wrong with your setup.
As I said - In the past.

I've been a Nuendo user for many years and Cubase before that.

There is nothing odd or esoteric about my setup. The updates always put the files where they want to put them and every update causes preference file issues.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-7 Pro 64-bit, i7 Quad core 2.66 15GB ram, Nuendo-7.1.40 64-bit, Wavelab-6, 2x MR816CSX, RME FireFace UFX, SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Halion-5, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt-5, Roland V-Drums TD-20X
Cubase iC Pro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth)
Omnisphere, Trillian + loads of real instruments.

TrakShak

Post by TrakShak » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm

So, 9.5 is working well so far but I'm curious to know why the SEND's are color inverted? I mean on version 9 (and all before) a Pre-fader send was Blue and the Post-Fader send was turquoise. Is this possible to change?

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 pm

I'd really like the ability to purchase features of PRO. Such as offline plugins processing, a VU meter, profile manager. I think every user should have access to those features. Maybe an Element user doesn't need everything inside of PRO. But he needs some things. In think if Cubase had a more open software format then people would happily upgrade various features.
That would be a game changer. Having an elements, artist and pro version is too limiting.
I've got an album here if you like Folk Rock
https://dallonghan.bandcamp.com/album/shrink
also more music on spotify, itunes, etc

I7 7700K
AsRock z270 itx fatal1ty
16GB DDR4 Corsair 3466mhz
1 512 GB M.2, Nvme
1 SSD 240GB (OS and apps drive)
Noctua nhl-9i heatsink
Inwin Chopin
Windows 10 64bit Pro v 1703
Cubase Artist 9 (updated)
Motu 828x (Thunderbolt)

TD Gary

Post by TD Gary » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Been a user since v5, I signed up to say this:

First of all, I love the improvements to the audio engine and startup rigamarole. Lightning quick to launch and get a project loaded! It's great, love it. Secondly, the new media bay and sampler features are spot on awesome - exactly what I was wishing for!

Some gripes, but nothing harsh:

Bezier automation should be in the MIDI key editor. I'm not a fan of editing stuff in the project window if I can help it, and this is a really nice feature that needs to be everywhere. My project window's lanes are minimized at all times since my templates are too big to navigate if they're any wider than a button. I use a fullscreen MIDI editor for any edits anyway since my works span multiple octaves, so having all the nice features in that window would be very much appreciated.

The mixer tab at the bottom should show more info at once (without tabs) for users who need it. The current mixer tab in the bottom zone has 3 other nested tabs: one for the faders, one for inserts, one for standard tools. I'm on 4K right now, but even on 1440p, I could afford to have the faders and inserts visible at the same time in that lower region. That should at least be an option if not the default and standard. Also, the way this mixer deforms when resized is more than a little comical.

Color schemes are nightmarishly simplified. Sorry I don't have a nicer way to say it. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I need more range of color than just shades of ONE hue, yet someone at Steinberg has this very poorly informed assumption that we're not capable of determining a decent color scheme for ourselves. It's like new version, someone mucks with the color customization options and makes it worse and less flexible. Please stop. Find something that makes your core users happy and just keep to it - the newbies and hobbyists will get used to it. As it is, I can't even use this update because of the changes to color customization.

Final mention: can we please have 4K+ support for the VST rack? The text on the quick controls is unreadable.

Carvin Man

Post by Carvin Man » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:27 am

TrakShak wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm
So, 9.5 is working well so far but I'm curious to know why the SEND's are color inverted? I mean on version 9 (and all before) a Pre-fader send was Blue and the Post-Fader send was turquoise. Is this possible to change?
Yes it is possible to change the colors for the pre- and post-send in the preferences.

Bhavik Patel

Post by Bhavik Patel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:55 am

hi, i am Bhavik from India.
I've just upgraded to Cubase pro 9.5 and need help with a problem. There is no audio images on the recorded tracks. The sound is recorded but shows only a straight line. BUT i can see audio image in audio editor.
this happens only with old projects.
new projects doesn't have this issue.
but i hv lot's of projects to be done. please help me out...
thanks.

Carvin Man

Post by Carvin Man » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 am

The Cleanup function is missing from the File menu.... Is it moved? Or is it dropped? Or is it a bug?

This is a function that have worked very well for since its introduction, and a very good way to CLEAN UP your unused/unreferenced audio files.

For my workflow it's essential, and one of the things that make me feel more comfortable in Cubase than in other DAW's.

I really hope this is just an early oversight, or I'll get :twisted:

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Carvin Man wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 am
The Cleanup function is missing from the File menu.... Is it moved? Or is it dropped? Or is it a bug?

This is a function that have worked very well for since its introduction, and a very good way to CLEAN UP your unused/unreferenced audio files.

For my workflow it's essential, and one of the things that make me feel more comfortable in Cubase than in other DAW's.

It's in the pool menu and you can make a key command shortcut if you want

I7 7700K
AsRock z270 itx fatal1ty
1 512 GB M.2, Nvme
Noctua nhl-9i heatsink
Inwin Chopin
Motu 828x (Thunderbolt)

Carvin Man

Post by Carvin Man » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Dallon426 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 pm
Carvin Man wrote:

Thanks. I'll have a look......
Hmmm? I had a shortcut for it..... which didn't show after importing my key commands to c9.5.

If it is within the pool, do you have to open a project to reach it? Do you have to clean the disk/unreferenced audio files one project at a time?

I'll chime in later...

Elias Reyes

Post by Elias Reyes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Just a "problem": I try to load some plugins from the Waves company and when I do, the cubase stops working. With cubase 9 this did not happen.

They are at least three.

The rest, of wonders, seriously

Carvin Man

Post by Carvin Man » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Dallon426 wrote:
Carvin Man wrote:

I think we are talking about two different things here.

The Cleanup under the File Menu is nowhere to be found...
This is NOT the same as Remove Unused Media or Remove From Trash from the Pool (even though for the latter, you can there choose to Remove from project or Erase from disk).

The File > Cleanup where used as a global function to erase unreferenced audio files from your hard disk (or from selected folders). Unreferenced as in NOT used in ANY Cubase project.
This could be started by just opening Cubase itself (not needing to open any project).

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Carvin Man wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm
Dallon426 wrote:
Carvin Man wrote:

This is NOT the same as Remove Unused Media or Remove From Trash from the Pool (even though for the latter, you can there choose to Remove from project or Erase from disk).

The File > Cleanup where used as a global function to erase unreferenced audio files from your hard disk (or from selected folders). Unreferenced as in NOT used in ANY Cubase project.
This could be started by just opening Cubase itself (not needing to open any project).
Yes, I did not know that was even an option.
I always just use the remove unused media in each project. It works for me

I7 7700K
AsRock z270 itx fatal1ty
1 512 GB M.2, Nvme
Noctua nhl-9i heatsink
Inwin Chopin
Motu 828x (Thunderbolt)

Carvin Man

Post by Carvin Man » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Dallon426 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm
Carvin Man wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm
Dallon426 wrote:

Yes, I did not know that was even an option.
I always just use the remove unused media in each project. It works for me
That's all good.... It just took me a while to understand that we were talking about two different things ;)

ctothel

Post by ctothel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:22 am

No support for UAD in 9.5 yet (it's a bugfest). This is probably on Universal Audio as well, but I don't really understand how this can happen. UAD works great in Cubase 8.5 even with projects saved in 9.5.

JoPo

Post by JoPo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 pm

I forgot to mention a bad 9.5 behavior !

I still prefer opening midi editor in its window and not on project one bottom. But I like the "Editor Content Follows Event Selection" feature.

The annoying thing is that when I select a container in the main window in order to edit midi data in it, it displays the container at its beginning ! And 99.9% of the time, the things I want to edit are close to the cursor ! So when the container is very large, each time I open it, I must scroll untill the cursor ! :roll: Not pleasant for my workflow... So why doesn't it display the place around the cursor, just like when I open the midi editor by double-clic on a container because it was not already opened before ?

And the most stupid that is This feature exists in the "lower zone" widow, called "Link Project and Editor Cursors" why not for non lower zone editors ??

viewtopic.php?f=252&t=122390&p=686424#p686424
____________________________________________________________________________________

> > > > > > > > > > > > Musica --> here ! < < < < < < < < < < < <
____________________________________________________________________________________

MenigeThomas

Post by MenigeThomas » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:07 am

Hi,

after the 9.5 update (which I really love otherwise), I get a lot of midi dropouts. I have been using the directmusic device in studio setup before, and I´m doing so now too. I also tried all the other combinations like the "use system timestamp" for directmusic and the ordinary "windows midi" device with and without the system stamps.

So is there a way to fix this?
Windows 10, Cubase 9.5, Kontakt 5.6.5, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Intel Core i7 5930K 3,5GHz, 64Gb memory, Sonnet Allegro FW800-E, RME FireFace 400, Asus GeForce GTX 960, Samsung 850 EVO 4x 500Gb, 2x 250Gb, 1x 120Gb.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-lundgren8 ... in-musik-2

kocho1984

Post by kocho1984 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:28 pm

CipheredDesigns wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm
One of the major issues for me with every new update for Cubase is that you never think about how important it is to let us import our settings from previous versions. This is something I will never understand.. Every browser or software has this simple feature, only Cubase doesn´t.

Add to your survey the following question:
"Do you need to import your settings and daily workflow presets like shortcuts, makros etc. to the new version of Cubase?"

I bet you won´t find a single participant to check "no"
Exactly!
I upgraded to 9.5 today and where can I find my customized shortcuts from Cubase 9?
Do I have to setup all of them from scratch? If so, then it is really not funny.

profdraper

Post by profdraper » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Shall take the survey, but in sum:
– great update but IMHO still needs work on CPU usage & by comparison to some other DAWs;
– consider more detailed and improved UI feedback as to CPU /multi-thread /plugin performance & tweaking (a la Studio One /Pro Tools).

Many of the features in 9.5 seem directly borrowed from MOTU DP9 (especially zones). Consider adding MOTU's 'Chunks' implementation – ie, multiple sequences /cues hosted within a single project; each of which may use independent timecode start points /conductor tracks etc. Ideal for music-to-picture. All sequences /cues may subsequently be 'flattened' to a single master soundtrack sequence for final.
PC1: Dell T7910, Win10 x64 Pro; 64GB Ram; CPUs: dual 12 core 3.0Ghz E5-2687W v4 Xeons; GPU: Nvidia 1080Ti. Samsung SSDs, RAID. VDUs: LG 34UM95 & BenQ SW2700PT. BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k. Audio: RME Fireface UFX+; RME ADI-8; UAD-2 quad PCIe. PC2: 13" MacBook Pro 16GB. NLEs: DaVinci Resolve Studio, Adobe Premier. DAWs: Nuendo 8, ProTools 12.8 HD, Studio One 3, DP9, Ableton Live.

kocho1984

Post by kocho1984 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:34 am

kocho1984 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:28 pm
CipheredDesigns wrote:
One of the major issues for me with every new update for Cubase is that you never think about how important it is to let us import our settings from previous versions. This is something I will never understand.. Every browser or software has this simple feature, only Cubase doesn´t.

"Do you need to import your settings and daily workflow presets like shortcuts, makros etc. to the new version of Cubase?"

Exactly!
I upgraded to 9.5 today and where can I find my customized shortcuts from Cubase 9?
Do I have to setup all of them from scratch? If so, then it is really not funny.
Cubase imports settings/shortcuts from its previous version, but user needs to uncheck "install for all users" option during Cubase 9.5 installation.

jffj

Post by jffj » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 am

I like the new features in 9.5, but I'm having the same issue that was previously posted about no waveform showing when recording audio tracks. I've checked preferences and I've tried moving the slider in the upper right corner. Also, the waveform doesn't show in the audio editor. So I reinstalled version 9 until a solution is found. it's very frustrating.

Romantique Tp

Post by Romantique Tp » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:20 am

jffj wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 am
I like the new features in 9.5, but I'm having the same issue that was previously posted about no waveform showing when recording audio tracks. I've checked preferences and I've tried moving the slider in the upper right corner. Also, the waveform doesn't show in the audio editor. So I reinstalled version 9 until a solution is found. it's very frustrating.
They posted 3 solutions here:
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... re-missing

This will be fixed in 9.5.10, which might be coming out sometime in early December.
;)

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

Wepsta

Post by Wepsta » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:16 pm

9.5 is the best Cubase ever the gui is much faster now, good job Steinberg!
The only real problem we have now in Win 10 is the 14 Core Limit right let’s hope Microsoft fix this.
Need upgrade to Core i9-7980XE :)
Win 10 Pro - Cubase 9.5 - Apollo Quad MKII Thunderbolt - Core i9-7980XE 3,8Ghz NH-D15 - PRIME X299-A - 32GB DDR4-2666 - 950Pro 512 - GTX 1060 3GB - Super Flower Leadex Gold 1000W ATX 2.3 - Fractal Design Define R5

joliraja

Post by joliraja » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:39 am

Right away, I found a bad bug in automation. If I select multiple points and change their magnitudes like I always have, sometimes they all just move, sometimes new points are generated and they move leaving the old points where they were. I have to then delete the old points to complete the process. I was hopeful that the bug that adds extra points when editing automation was fixed but it looks like it has just been built upon. If 9.5 is going to work like this, I guess I will have to go back to 9.0.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:37 am

Whilst very useful and much needed features have been added in the 9.5 update, in the next update I would really like to see coloured channel strips in the mixer, as in Pro tools and Studio one. And for me, the most important feature Steinberg could introduce would be the ability to drag and drop 3rd party instruments and effects straight onto the project page or the mixer. The way this speeds up work flow goes without saying. Also, another very useful feature would be the ability edit hitpoints from the project page, or even add them there, along with when you create slices from hitpoints, that they appear on the project page and not open up in another window. I also have a very innovative idea, why not when creating a folder track, that the folder track can also through preferences be created as a group track where you can add inserts and so on. And so the idea is that the folder track and group track is merged as one single feature where you can put tracks in a folder which also acts as a group track which you can still expand and close in the project page or in the mixer. These are just a few of my suggestions.

thenowhereman

Post by thenowhereman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

CipheredDesigns wrote:

I agree totally and I have noticed since C9 that even though you change all the User Settings folders to the previous version not everything ports over...and what the heck is with the DARK color schemes surrounding the mixer and inspector that cannot be lightened no matter what I try...this sucks

Return to “General”