Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
KeeN

Re: Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Post by KeeN »

Alt+K doesn't work. WTF? It's a disaster.

cmbsa

EDIT Re: Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Post by cmbsa »

EDIT: Video works great now with Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor. Don't know what I changed but it helped.
Both .mp4 and .mov videos playback fine & audio extract works. Onscreen video still causes stuttering and rel. high CPU usage (see below).
Seems like this is the best C9 version on my system so far...
HughH wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 pm
Pablo1980 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:32 pm
So, not to derail, anybody with a success story regarding videoΒ΄s audio importing ok (in windows 10?)

And anybody with no cpu problems with video playing on windows 10?

checking if it is safe to update
I would like to bump this question. I saw no responses.

Even more, though, I am curious if anyone is using 9.0.3 with a Blackmagic Interface and an external monitor.
That is how I would be operating. Also Win10.

Same increased CPU?

Anyone? Beta Testers? Mods?

Hugh
9.0.3:
With onscreen video I get these CPU results:
Video A, fullscreen, shows roughly 30% CPU usage (3% w/o Video):
A.png
(32.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Video B, fullscreen, shows ca. 16% CPU usage
[attachment=1]B.png[/attachment
Attachments
B.png
(27.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by cmbsa on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
main: Cubase Pro 10 / win10 64 / i7-6900K / 32gb / geforce 1060, 6 GB / System on m.2 ssd 512 GB / 2TB Raid-0 HDD for Projects / several ssd for sample-lib / RME AIO PCIe /
slave: VE Pro 6 / win10 64 / i7-4790K / 32gb / several ssd

Detch

Post by Detch »

Overall I'm getting used to the fact that none of the issues I have are not being fixed with every new update, year by year... well... it's hard to please anyone I know.
I just hope Steinberg hire more beta testers or do something to be more effective

GUI still has glitches when scissor tool is selected
EQ's still has strange noise artifact,
It's still impossible to normally zoom in/out by dragging mouse up/down while holding playhead
still impossible to place left/right locator at once with a single mouse click like it was in ver7 if I remember correctly, need to use a cumbersome key combination.

Positive side for me is there are no new bugs (I'm not using video) or performance issues.
Glad to see:
CAN-4187 MixConsole Fixed an issue where mouse clicks had no effect on various
controls when mouse was moved while clicking.
Overall GUI framerate loss while adjusting Frequency EQ has been fixed.

Feel sorry for guys who work with video and now having those nasty issues.
cheers
Cubase 10.0.5, Windows 10 x64, i7 7700K, 32GB ram, Geforce GTX760

zibelnik

Post by zibelnik »

Video for me is working with mp4 h264 hd resolution, also audio is extracted normally. Cpu nothing special, everything seems ok for syncing enoughπŸ˜†. I tried old mpeg2 format but it is still invalid format. It would be nice to have import for all posiblle formats like vlc plays and not have to convert before importing.
Cubase Pro 10.5 | Win10 Pro 2004
ASUS X99-DELUXE II | Intel Core i7-6850K | 64GB RAM
UAD Apollo x8p on thunderbolt + Apollo x16

djw

Post by djw »

KeeN wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 am
One keyboard shortcut doesn't work. WTF IT'S A DISASTER
It's an odd one since it works for me. I think you're overstating things though.

Rob Elliott

Post by Rob Elliott »

djw wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm
It's an odd one since it works for me. I think you're overstating things though.
Well it might be approaching a 'disaster' if like me you make your living scoring to picture AND you happen to be on W7. :( Fortunately there is still 8.5. I can imagine how the Nuendo 8 (on W7) folks feel about things right now.

I bet SB is burning the midnight oil to get this 'hotfix' out asap!!!!
"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

W10 - 128 gb ram / i9

djw

Post by djw »

Rob Elliott wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm
Well it might be approaching a 'disaster' if like me you make your living scoring to picture AND you happen to be on W7. :( Fortunately there is still 8.5. I can imagine how the Nuendo 8 (on W7) folks feel about things right now.

Any reason why you need to be on Windows 7? It's two versions back, and will be the first to be dropped support for in the future.

Rob Elliott

Post by Rob Elliott »

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm
Rob Elliott wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Any reason why you need to be on Windows 7? It's two versions back, and will be the first to be dropped support for in the future.
I have all my puters (Master and 3 slaves) built by a pro third party and they are conservative (zero or limited down time) in their thinking (Which given most of these TV schedules with hair a blazed) - I also agree with. Having said that - these last few months they are giving serious looks at W10 (W8 was a joke IMHO). Unfortunately, my MAIN puter (running Cubase) is only 9 months old. It will be a couple years before I replace that one.

W10 - 128 gb ram / i9

djw

Post by djw »

I see, that does explain the situation.

zipb

Post by zipb »

9.0.3 works OK just as 9.0.2 did. Video seems to work. Reaktor 6 update got blacklisted, had to enable it by hand.
Graphics under Win10 are a little snappier, but also messier(flashing white redraws). GUI under MacOS is quite usable, I'm not suffering noticeable lags.
But at 57, I may be too old to notice.
Desktop:
Gigabyte Z390 Designare/i9 9900k/OSX10.14.6/Cubase Pro 10.5.20/32 GB RAM/MSI AMD R480x/SSD's/Metric Halo ULN-8/UAD2 Quad
Laptop:
MacBook Pro 8,2/OSX10.12.6/8GB RAM/SSD/Metric Halo ULN-2

djw

Post by djw »

zipb wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 pm
9.0.3 works OK just as 9.0.2 did. Video seems to work. Reaktor 6 update got blacklisted, had to enable it by hand.
Graphics under Win10 are a little snappier, but also messier(flashing white redraws). GUI under MacOS is quite usable, I'm not suffering noticeable lags.
But at 57, I may be too old to notice.
Reaktor 6 update wasn't blacklisted for me, strange.

The white redraws on Windows have been there for me since v8. It used to be even worse, but I hope it gets better than this.

The Mac GUI issue is apparently not there for every setup. It looks okay on Greg Endo's stream for example.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

The white flash when opening the mixer is still really annoying, if the background just would be black and not white before redrawing the problem would be solved IMHO.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

djw

Post by djw »

peakae wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 pm
The white flash when opening the mixer is still really annoying, if the background just would be black and not white before redrawing the problem would be solved IMHO.
Or if there was a nice light Cubase theme. I just can't get it to look as nice.

The issue is also that when a maximized window changes, say from the project to an editor, I see my wallpaper for a split second. So it's dark wallpaper > absolute white > window content.

My workaround is to keep the windows opened and just switch between them. Maybe the solution would be to have Cubase keep a static window loaded like this in the background even when it seems closed.

rritalin

Post by rritalin »

Got a weird glitch (something that actually started in 9.0.20). My midi instruments (mainly NI Massive, FM8) will go out of tune. It's already recorded, it only happened on playback so far... If I restart, it seems to fix it, although only for a couple of minutes, then it's back. It seems very random (different tracks, sometimes one instrument, sometimes more) Went back to 8.5 - no such issues there.

Anybody else experience this?
Windows 10 64-bit | Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz | 16 Gb | RME Fireface 400 audio interface| Akai MAX49 midi controller | Dynaudio Acoustics BM-5A studio monitors | Cubase 9 Pro | Native Instruments Komplete 10.

uarte

Post by uarte »

Just for the record, I tested the new video engine against Studio One and Reaper (as well as Windows Media Player and VLC and other tools I have), and the new Cubase video engine is VERY inefficient on my system. It uses 2-5 times as much CPU with the exact same clips. In one case, 7 times the CPU! Go test it yourself and you'll see. And I'm not the only one reporting this kind of issue. What is going on? Why did they release such a poorly optimized engine? Very disappointed. It will EASILY cause problems and glitches for projects which are near the redline of CPU resources, compared to prior versions of Cubase using the QT engine, and also compared to other DAWs.

Case in point: One very simple project I created with audio-only tracks and a simple 540p MP4 file (note that it is 540p, not even 720p or 1080p!!!), ate up 1.3% with the video window closed and 9.3% with the video window open. A difference of 8% CPU! What???? On Reaper, it was 1.1% difference and in Studio One it was 1.3% difference! Additionally, I loaded up a dozen VSTi's and plugins in Studio One, plus the *same* video clip, and the CPU only hit 6.7% total! And that is NOTHING compared to my big templates of course... the differential remains and just gets worse with higher-res video. In big projects, the new engine causes glitches! It's honestly just shocking how poorly optimized the new engine is. Reaper and Studio One run all over Cubase now, when dealing with video. Who could have imagined that one year ago?

For me, on a personal note, this whole mess of the video engine situation is really the end of the line for me for Steinberg. It's been a while building up to this, but now that it's released (after huge delays and they broke their promise of releasing the engine for 8.5), I'm pretty much done with Steinberg. Something is wrong at Steinberg HQ IMO, they've been going down hill for the last few years. I've paid for Cubase 9 Pro, but it will be reduced to backup DAW now, and I will not be upgrading to the next paid upgrade. I know this is like beating a dead horse for some of you, but I'm on the same side as you, as a long-time Steinberg customer. I always wanted Steinberg to succeed, but the only way I can really send a message to them is to stop sending them upgrade payments. My $$$ is a drop in the bucket, but maybe they'll begin to understand how they have broken the trust relationship with some of their long-term customers and hopefully turn around the ship. If they turn around the ship, I'll be first in line to upgrade again.

Rob Elliott

Post by Rob Elliott »

Yea - I am at a tough decision myself as I start in the next week a new feature and do I work in 9.0.30 or uninstall and go back to 9.0.20 (or even 8.5)??? I LOVE the 'undo' feature of 9 so I really don't want to but with the engine inefficiency and a 1000+ orchestral template - It may not be workable. I guess it if I run into problems I could just open the 'project' in 8.5 (and hope there are no issues with that)

W10 - 128 gb ram / i9

uarte

Post by uarte »

It's a hard question, but as always, everyone's system, drivers, plugins, etc., can all impact performance in some way. I imagine the only way to be sure for your system is for you to test it out with your exact template. I had been reading of people having trouble with the engine, and I have a feature-length project I'm starting, and I didn't want to run into a nightmare... so I tested it on my system and my results were just not acceptable. Your situation might be completely different. As for me, I'm pretty much done with Steinberg, so I made a totally different kind of decision than 9.0.30 vs. 9.0.20 vs 8.5. For me, Cubase is now my backup DAW. I just don't trust Steinberg any more. But that's me. I get that some people can't possibly make a leap for many different reasons -- not to mention that there are some very nice features in Cubase that don't exist in any other DAW -- but for me, I'm tired of this, and have had a bad experience with 9.0 in general. It has left a very bad taste. The video engine performance just sort of seals the deal for me. 8.5 was better for me. 6.5 was actually the best for me, and since then it's just been down hill, although I have continued to pay upgrade fees every year. But now I'm done. Best of luck with your decision. Would be curious to know what you end up doing. And if you do test your system, please post how well it does. Maybe you have an optimal system?

HughH

Re: EDIT Re: Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Post by HughH »

cmbsa wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 am
EDIT: Video works great now with Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor. Don't know what I changed but it helped.
Both .mp4 and .mov videos playback fine & audio extract works. Onscreen video still causes stuttering and rel. high CPU usage (see below).
So are you saying that when using the Blackmagic card rather than onscreen video you're not getting the CPU hit?
Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019
i7 5820 Asus x99 Deluxe 64 Gig Win 10 Home, Dual Monitors RME Digiface PCIe
Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop i9 (10th Gen) 32 Gig Win 10 MOTU 8Pre-ES
i7 920 Asus P6T 12G Win 7 Slave Machine
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn)
X-Touch Compact for various stuff
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
UR22

cmbsa

Post by cmbsa »

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:38 pm
So are you saying that when using the Blackmagic card rather than onscreen video you're not getting the CPU hit?
Correct. It's barely noticeable on CPU (as I would expect from a dedicated card).
Btw, I did have a problem with audio-extract with a video grabbed from Instagram. But I can get the audio with ffmpeg fast & easy.
main: Cubase Pro 10 / win10 64 / i7-6900K / 32gb / geforce 1060, 6 GB / System on m.2 ssd 512 GB / 2TB Raid-0 HDD for Projects / several ssd for sample-lib / RME AIO PCIe /
slave: VE Pro 6 / win10 64 / i7-4790K / 32gb / several ssd

Rob Elliott

Post by Rob Elliott »

I have been so focused on the fact that for me (W7) audio doesn't get imported in - I haven't checked the load on CPU (when I import vid/audio in 8.5 and THEN open THAT project in 9.0.30.)

Surprisingly - for an mp4 / H.264 (720p) video - I don't notice any CPU penalty of 9.0.3 over that of 8.5.x - really about the same (maybe a 2-4 % INCREASE - but really nominal) running video in FULL SCREEN mode???? Why am I so lucky???? even at 4% - that is workable on this feature. ;)

W10 - 128 gb ram / i9

marcuskino

Post by marcuskino »

Vinylizor wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 pm
The Mac GUI / Graphics thread has been locked....
Why is this thread locked???

Anyway I have some good things to report on the Mac Gui issue (for me):

Cubase Pro 9.0.30 in OSX Sierra, MBP late 2016 15” Touchbar, 16 GB RAM, 4GB Grapichs.

Overall GUI seems much more responsive, with occasional GUI sluggishness.

Inserting midi notes via double clicking in the key editor - now instant no lag.

Opening mixer windows - quicker but not instant.

Resizing midi regions in arrange - no lag.

Closing Cubase - much quicker, doesn’t hang or crash.

CPU usage is 10% more than Cubase 8.5.

Cubase 9 is now usable for me with new update, prior to this it was unusable.

Even though the new update has GUI improvements for me, I still wouldn't recommend using Cubase 9 on the new MacBook Pro (top spec). I had to buy a UAD OCTO just so I could do a decent mix without having render every 5-10 minutes. Cubase 9 seems more stable than 8.5 but uses about 10% more CPU for me.

I would use Cubase 7, but it doesn't seem to work on OSX Sierra.
MacBook Pro 15" Touchbar 2.9 GHz 16 GB RAM Radeon Pro 4GB, OSX Serra 10.12.5, LG 5k Ultrafine Monitor, NI Komplete Audio 6, Motu Microlite 4x4, Komplete Kontrol S61, Nord Lead 2R, Nord Lead 4R, Acccess Virus TI2, Maschine Studio, MIDI Fighter Twister, Cubase 9, Ableton 9, Steinberg CMC AI & PD, Komplete Ultimate 11, UAD Satellite OCTO, UAD Apollo Twin Quad MKII

BlackTMinister

Post by BlackTMinister »

Some pretty annoying stuff here:
- I have set the preferences to enlarge the track I select. However, since 9.0.30 this seems broken. It's kind of inverted, actually, because when I manually enlarge a track, select another track and then go back to the enlarged track, it gets smaller. Really hampers my workflow.
- Loading of projects (even templates with a lot of empty tracks, and no VST's loaded) is very slow. Seems due to the 'mix console': takes ages to set up/load.

I hope these can be fixed soon. And if not, how do I go back to the previous version (which worked perfectly fine for me)?

I am on Windows 10, developers update. I7-4770, 32gb intern.

djw

Post by djw »

BlackTMinister wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:35 am
- I have set the preferences to enlarge the track I select. However, since 9.0.30 this seems broken. It's kind of inverted, actually, because when I manually enlarge a track, select another track and then go back to the enlarged track, it gets smaller. Really hampers my workflow.
It's not broken in 9.0.30. Just resize the currently selected track to the size you want it to be. It will no longer be smaller than the other tracks.
- Loading of projects (even templates with a lot of empty tracks, and no VST's loaded) is very slow. Seems due to the 'mix console': takes ages to set up/load.
The MixConsole dialog is just the general project loading dialog. I don't see how .30 could be responsible for making this slower.

BlackTMinister

Post by BlackTMinister »

Thank you, djw.
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 pm
It's not broken in 9.0.30. Just resize the currently selected track to the size you want it to be. It will no longer be smaller than the other tracks.
But the thing is: I don't want to resize a track manually. I have 'enlarge track upon selection' (don't know the exact wording, I am not at my daw) ticked in my preferences, so that my tracks enlarge automatically when I select them. Worked perfectly in 9.0.20, but not in 9.0.30.
The MixConsole dialog is just the general project loading dialog. I don't see how .30 could be responsible for making this slower.
[/quote]
Yes, I don't know if the update is causing this slowdown. It's just that loading is much slower than before the update. I'll have to check if there are other causes, though.

HughH

Post by HughH »

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:51 pm
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:38 pm
Correct. It's barely noticeable on CPU (as I would expect from a dedicated card).
Btw, I did have a problem with audio-extract with a video grabbed from Instagram. But I can get the audio with ffmpeg fast & easy.
Thought I should update this.
2 or 3 weeks ago I had a free weekend and decided to go ahead and Jump with 9.0.3.

Video playback worked great instantly with my Blackmagic card. Several different codecs.
In fact, I would say it's an improvement.
Have not tried onscreen video because I never use that.

Everything else is fine, also. Stability seems excellent.

Hugh
Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019
i7 5820 Asus x99 Deluxe 64 Gig Win 10 Home, Dual Monitors RME Digiface PCIe
Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop i9 (10th Gen) 32 Gig Win 10 MOTU 8Pre-ES
i7 920 Asus P6T 12G Win 7 Slave Machine
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn)
X-Touch Compact for various stuff
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
UR22

Return to β€œGeneral”