Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Pablo1980

Re: Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Post by Pablo1980 »

Weasel wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 am
AP wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm
Made in Germany and Made in Japan means excellent quality products when it comes to cars and electronics. But not when it comes to software like Cubase, sorry Steinberg you need to up your game.
I guess it would be where in Germany it's made. In a little more time than Steinberg took to make this update of 24 fixes, their neighbors over at Logic managed this small list of fixes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Mind you, this is not being done by an armada of engineers over in Cupertino. This is the Hamburg staff at work. I'm only posting this because I thought it was an amusing comparison. Still love Cubase though.
Wow. Steinberg is way behind the curve....and don't tell me cubase is much more advanced than logic.

I think steinberg should start evaluating the update process and beta testing, It is incredible that beta teams didn't catch the audio import problem while the users did 20 minutes after the update.
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10.5 64bit - Cubase 10.5 Pro - Vepro 7 (two add PCs)

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

Logic isn't as complete as Cubase, and Apple handles updates and pricing completely differently from Steinberg.

Steinberg also doesn't list every single tweak and bugfix they make, specially those included with paid updates. Every major version since as far as I can remember has had many changes (not just bugfixes) that aren't listed anywhere at all.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

Brian Roland

Post by Brian Roland »

beanstalk40 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 pm
I did check out the vidplayer vst... it seems like a good option... but, i really dont get why i gotta spend an extra 15 bucks ( miniscule though it may seem)... for a feature that has been working normally in cubase versions since forever...
You don't have to buy anything...it is just one potential work around barring rolling back to a previous version if you can't get the new built in "Black Magic" engine working to satisfaction, and you want to stick with the .30 update.

Someone in the middle of lots of video projects RIGHT NOW might find it worthwhile to invest in the third party plugin (which also works in other DAWs). Others might be happy to just uninstall the update patch and go back to the .20 release. Some might just go back to an earlier version of CuBase all together (I.E. 8.5 or 7.5 installed on the same system). Others will be happy to just wait it out for the next update.

I won't argue that it's not a painful mess for some users, and that Steinberg did not have more user friendly options for the .30 update, because I honestly do not know what options they may or may not have had, nor do I know the price tag involved with any of the options.

What I do know is that developers who invested in Apple Quick Time got BURNED (Yet again). Windows support has been pulled for the product. It is now a security risk. Quicktime had to go (probably for licensing and other legal reasons in addition to the security risk).

Could Steinberg have handled it better? Maybe...but Apple is the catalyst for the situation. They produced a product and sold it to developers on the ground it would work for both Mac and Windows development, then took a bunch of money, then changed their minds about the product developers had invested in for many years now.

resomedia

Post by resomedia »

CAN-1091 - Fixed an issue where the Crosshair Cursor lagged behind when moving the mouse cursor.

After 2+ years, I was excited to actually see this finally acknowledged as a needed fix. However, nothing has changed. After updating, I can still zoom/wiggle the cursor off the page from the timeline just as easy. Not sure what was addressed here. ???

Note, the last version where this was NOT an issue is 7.5 FYI!
Last edited by resomedia on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CB Pro 9.5.21 / Elements 8 (MacBook Air) / Mac Pro 2x2 (mid-2010) 4G 8-Core / OSX 10.5 "Yosemite" / 17GB RAM / PCI-e MOTU 2408mk3, MOTU 24 I/O / MOTU USB MIDI Express 128 (2)

beanstalk40

Post by beanstalk40 »

Brian Roland wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:31 am
beanstalk40 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 pm
I did check out the vidplayer vst... it seems like a good option... but, i really dont get why i gotta spend an extra 15 bucks ( miniscule though it may seem)... for a feature that has been working normally in cubase versions since forever...
You don't have to buy anything...it is just one potential work around barring rolling back to a previous version if you can't get the new built in "Black Magic" engine working to satisfaction, and you want to stick with the .30 update.

Someone in the middle of lots of video projects RIGHT NOW might find it worthwhile to invest in the third party plugin (which also works in other DAWs). Others might be happy to just uninstall the update patch and go back to the .20 release. Some might just go back to an earlier version of CuBase all together (I.E. 8.5 or 7.5 installed on the same system). Others will be happy to just wait it out for the next update.

I won't argue that it's not a painful mess for some users, and that Steinberg did not have more user friendly options for the .30 update, because I honestly do not know what options they may or may not have had, nor do I know the price tag involved with any of the options.

What I do know is that developers who invested in Apple Quick Time got BURNED (Yet again). Windows support has been pulled for the product. It is now a security risk. Quicktime had to go (probably for licensing and other legal reasons in addition to the security risk).

Could Steinberg have handled it better? Maybe...but Apple is the catalyst for the situation. They produced a product and sold it to developers on the ground it would work for both Mac and Windows development, then took a bunch of money, then changed their minds about the product developers had invested in for many years now.
Sure... Apple screwed us all over... I've been anti Apple for a long time... just cant agree with their business practices... much too unethical if you ask me...

But, Steinberg has been devloping this new video player for almost a year now... and they should have made sure that something so basic works like it should...

Guess its a Win 7 problem... and so doesnt affect everybody... and they are supposedly working om the fix... so, I'll wait for it... meanwhile using other methods to work around this shortcoming...

Regards
Machine 1 - WIN 10 x64, Cubase 10.5 Pro, Intel Core i7 4790k, Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H, 16GB RAM, EMU 1820M, Komplete 12 Ultimate

Machine 2 (laptop) - WIN 8.1 x64, Cubase 10.5 Pro, HP Envy J111TX, Core i7 4700MQ, 8GB RAM, Audient ID4, Komplete 12 Ultimate

JGS

Post by JGS »

My personal experience: going from 9.0.20 to 9.0.30 update runs ok. After loading an old project; I'm now getting serious audio drop outs I never had before. After few tests, Asio Guard set to normal = dropouts, low = worse, high = no dropouts but cpu spikes really high. I had to disable Asio Guard and now I got the performance I had before update ... Weird ...
Cubase Pro 9.0.30, Win10 Pro, Intel i7 3770K, 16 GB Ram, SSD HD 500GB, RME HDSP9632, Focusrite OctoPre MKII. Plugins : Waves 9, Plugin Alliance, FabFilter, Slate, Softube, Izotope RX, IKM T-Racks, Audified, Soundtoys, Toontrack, Native Instruments ...

Rob Elliott

Post by Rob Elliott »

Pablo1980 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:45 am
Weasel wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 am
AP wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm
Made in Germany and Made in Japan means excellent quality products when it comes to cars and electronics. But not when it comes to software like Cubase, sorry Steinberg you need to up your game.
I guess it would be where in Germany it's made. In a little more time than Steinberg took to make this update of 24 fixes, their neighbors over at Logic managed this small list of fixes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Mind you, this is not being done by an armada of engineers over in Cupertino. This is the Hamburg staff at work. I'm only posting this because I thought it was an amusing comparison. Still love Cubase though.
Wow. Steinberg is way behind the curve....and don't tell me cubase is much more advanced than logic.

I think steinberg should start evaluating the update process and beta testing, It is incredible that beta teams didn't catch the audio import problem while the users did 20 minutes after the update.
Yea this is super frustrating (and will make me NOT update within 30-60 days of ANY update in the future - but In defense of the beta testers (I have done similar work) - sometimes all checks out during test phase and 'things' are added at the last minute or changed without letting the beta folks in on it (seen it) - I bet this is what happened (giving it not importing audio on a W7 - still probably a major segment of their market.) Hopefully this will be a 'hotfix' and not in the next maintenance in 6 months.
"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

W10 - 128 gb ram / i9

nbf67

Post by nbf67 »

Everything works fine with the update, but the video engine CPU usage is much higher than the Quick Time engine on my system.
One exemple with a project I started with 9.0.20: 30% CPU with 9.0.20, 90% CPU with 9.0.30. Both tests with the video window 'ON' (F8). Worse: the video is jerking with 9.0.30 (with Quick Time it was all fine)
It's just like it's not making use of any Graphic Card acceleration for decoding the video.
I have an Quad i7 and a 960GTX.

I got back to 9.0.20 because of this :-(
C 10.5 | Win 10 | 1920*1080 + 3640*2160 | RME Babyface

Rob Elliott

Post by Rob Elliott »

nbf67 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:19 pm
Everything works fine with the update, but the video engine CPU usage is much higher than the Quick Time engine on my system.
One exemple with a project I started with 9.0.20: 30% CPU with 9.0.20, 90% CPU with 9.0.30. Both tests with the video window 'ON' (F8). Worse: the video is jerking with 9.0.30 (with Quick Time it was all fine)
It's just like it's not making use of any Graphic Card acceleration for decoding the video.
I have an Quad i7 and a 960GTX.

I got back to 9.0.20 because of this :-(
hmmm - I haven't check the cpu's yet. Did you uninstall and re-install C9, install .0.20 update after that? I just might do that.
"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

W10 - 128 gb ram / i9

HughH

Post by HughH »

Pablo1980 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:32 pm
So, not to derail, anybody with a success story regarding video´s audio importing ok (in windows 10?)

And anybody with no cpu problems with video playing on windows 10?

checking if it is safe to update
I would like to bump this question. I saw no responses.

Even more, though, I am curious if anyone is using 9.0.3 with a Blackmagic Interface and an external monitor.
That is how I would be operating. Also Win10.

Same increased CPU?

Anyone? Beta Testers? Mods?

Hugh
Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019
i7 5820 Asus x99 Deluxe 64 Gig Win 10 Home, Dual Monitors RME Digiface PCIe
Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop i9 (10th Gen) 32 Gig Win 10 MOTU 8Pre-ES
i7 920 Asus P6T 12G Win 7 Slave Machine
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn)
X-Touch Compact for various stuff
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
UR22

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

Rob Elliott wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm
Pablo1980 wrote:
Yea this is super frustrating (and will make me NOT update within 30-60 days of ANY update in the future - but In defense of the beta testers (I have done similar work) - sometimes all checks out during test phase and 'things' are added at the last minute or changed without letting the beta folks in on it (seen it) - I bet this is what happened (giving it not importing audio on a W7 - still probably a major segment of their market.) Hopefully this will be a 'hotfix' and not in the next maintenance in 6 months.
You two are completely misunderstanding the issue. They already knew that extracting audio from video doesn't work on Windows 7, it's not something that was missed by the testers. (Actually, Steinberg might have mentioned this limitation a while before the new video engine was released with Nuendo 8, can't remember)

What's really going on is that adding support for this on Windows 7 would have delayed this update for everyone, but it's easy enough for users to work around this temporary limitation. It wouldn't be worth it to leave everyone vulnerable to Quicktime exploits for even longer just because of a feature that's only used once per project.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

Pablo1980

Post by Pablo1980 »

Romantique Tp wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:46 pm
Rob Elliott wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm
Pablo1980 wrote:
You two are completely misunderstanding the issue. They already knew that extracting audio from video doesn't work on Windows 7, it's not something that was missed by the testers. (Actually, Steinberg might have mentioned this limitation a while before the new video engine was released with Nuendo 8, can't remember)

What's really going on is that adding support for this on Windows 7 would have delayed this update for everyone, but it's easy enough for users to work around this temporary limitation. It wouldn't be worth it to leave everyone vulnerable to Quicktime exploits for even longer just because of a feature that's only used once per project.
ok, but is the cpu hog problem only happening in windows 7? I am hesitant to update
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10.5 64bit - Cubase 10.5 Pro - Vepro 7 (two add PCs)

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

ok I had a look, using Win10, small project.
Without any video in project, Cubase uses 8% CPU
With a video loaded but no video player open 9%
With the video player open in actual size 28%
With the video player in full screen size 30%
The VST performance meter does only show a little increase, it would take a real scoring to video session to determine if this will be a problem.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak »

very bad experience here.
9.0.30 crashes to deskotp repeatedly after simply recording ca 4 minutes on two tracks. Track 1 UVI Workstation with TrueKeay German and Track 2 Audiotrack.
And both tracks had one instance of console1.
After rollback to .20 it works as expected.

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

Funny because I am not noticing any difference in the 9.0.30 update. Including the freezing after moving between a number of projects within Cubase.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

Larioso

Post by Larioso »

peakae wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:07 am
ok I had a look, using Win10, small project.
Without any video in project, Cubase uses 8% CPU
With a video loaded but no video player open 9%
With the video player open in actual size 28%
With the video player in full screen size 30%
The VST performance meter does only show a little increase, it would take a real scoring to video session to determine if this will be a problem.
Interesting result and think this is really on the high end to be usable - and in comparison not efficient.
I get on windows 7 36%, but running VidPlayVSt plugin in Cubase playing the same video 9% - full Cubase process.
I run PowerDirector and 6-9% when playing back this video - the full process also.
All this done when thumbnails were done and ready - not using cpu doing those.
I run a weak i7-860 which rate about 5000 on cpubenchmark.net and your is about 9300 or so.

But since there are things left to do on Windows 7 with extraction of audio one can assume some playback stuff will be optimized over time.
But assumption that cpu was all good on windows 10 seems not to be the case either.

Message from Timo on Nuendo forum(a thread since october 2016 ) new video engine were ready and done Q1 2017 - but some licensing issues remained only. So four months later releasing on Cubase in this state is a bit sad - it was said to be ready long ago. Not enough priority from Steinberg on this obviously - just done with pinky finger it seems, not heart and soul. Time schedule 15 months says a lot too.

But for me, I'm good - I don't even need it running VidPlayVST which works flawless in my view. Just sad I did not look harder before since this plugin was out also since march or so. Some minor hickup, just stutter as a tempo jump are passed in Cubase, don't know what Cubase do there. Making a small ramp on tempo and no sign of stutter anymore(it was just a few frames, so no biggy) - so Cubase are doing something when calculating time in tempo jumps(I don't use the tempo driven style in VidPlayVst, so go by time reported by host).

9.0.30 run just fine by me otherwise. Running 6-7 hours sessions or so for couple of days and no instability or anything. As were 9.0.20 as well. It ws just 9.0.10 at release that crashed on exit if not closing project first. So v9 has been a good trip for me.
Windows 7 Pro - Intel i7-860 2.8GHz 16 GB - Cubase Pro 9.5 latest - RME HDSP 9632 + AI4S + Audient ASP 800 - Nvidia GT730

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

I don't really do any music for video ( well maybe I should put some music on my GoPro videos sometime ) but I thought I would be nice with some actual data.
If future optimization could bring it into VLC territory, then I would be really happy.
Of cause this all depends on the system and everyone should really test it before digging in to a new project.
But yes this looks like it could be a problem, using the native video player. Good to now there are alternatives.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

coolbass1000

Post by coolbass1000 »

Tried to import a mp4 on latest Sierra.
Haha, exactly nothing at all happens.
This works perfectly in Cubase 8.5.

The GUI lag on Mac is just the same in 9.0.30 as in 9.0.20.

Well, I am getting used to working with Reaper.

krevvy

Post by krevvy »

Everything running perfectly here on win10x64.. easy stable update.
(I don't use or care for video features)

Stephane2901

Post by Stephane2901 »

Hi all, the update from 9.0.20 to 9.0.30 gives me problems on first startup. Cubase quits the startup when reading the MR extension and error report is shown on screen. After choosing 'Open again", it starts up normally! What could be the reason? Did not see that happen before.
MacPro 5.1, OSX 10.12.6, MR816CSX, Cubase 9, Wavelab 9, EWQL Cloud ,Omnisphere, Izotope Ozone, BIAB, Sibelius.

Stephane2901

Post by Stephane2901 »

Attached is a screenshot of the crash. Hopefully someone can advice me what to do in order to get this solved.

Rgds,
Stef
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2017-08-20 om 20.16.24.png
Crash report
(90.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MacPro 5.1, OSX 10.12.6, MR816CSX, Cubase 9, Wavelab 9, EWQL Cloud ,Omnisphere, Izotope Ozone, BIAB, Sibelius.

kelp

Post by kelp »

Haven't put .30 through any real paces yet but it opens and closes sessions way faster than I've ever seen.

Raphie

Post by Raphie »

Works great here: win 10 x64, no video or jbridge. Super fluid.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Vinylizor

Post by Vinylizor »

The Mac GUI / Graphics thread has been locked....

One of the issue's supposedly fixed is mouse click problems - specifically on buttons such as 'e' for opening up channel edit windows, and the on / off buttons for the EQ bands which could both take half a dozen clicks before working.

I'm still seeing some problems here with .30. Specifically double clicking waveforms to open them up in the audio editing window can take several double clicks before working.
C10.5
Antelope Orion 32+ Thunderbolt
Core Audio driver
Mac Pro 6,1 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 64Gb Ram 1TB HD
OSX 10.15

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

silhouette wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 pm
Funny because I am not noticing any difference in the 9.0.30 update. Including the freezing after moving between a number of projects within Cubase.
Same here - no difference in anything for me, for both good and bad. I haven't done a project with video on it, so I can't comment about that.

The freezing you're talking about? I just don't see it being fixed any time soon because it's been an issue for many years now. :( (On a side note: every other DAW I've tried or used does not have this issue. That's not an exaggeration.).
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Return to “General”