Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
djw

Re: Cubase 9.0.30 Update Feedback

Post by djw »

BlackTMinister wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:13 pm
But the thing is: I don't want to resize a track manually. I have 'enlarge track upon selection' (don't know the exact wording, I am not at my daw) ticked in my preferences, so that my tracks enlarge automatically when I select them. Worked perfectly in 9.0.20, but not in 9.0.30.
You only have to resize the currently selected track once with that option enabled. Then it will always be that size. If it is set to a size smaller than the rest of the tracks then it will actually make selected tracks smaller. It was like this in Cubase 4 too, that's when I found out about this myself, and I just tested it in 9.0.30.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

It is as djw explained, but it can be a little confusing if you use the z-key to make the selected track taller and hit it again every track is set to minimum height. Or if you use zoom to x rows etc.
It is not locked if you use these commands, and you would have resize manually again.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

BlackTMinister

Post by BlackTMinister »

Thank you, djw and peakae! I learn a lot here. I will check it when I am back at the daw.

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

djw wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm
Any reason why you need to be on Windows 7? It's two versions back, and will be the first to be dropped support for in the future.
Assuming the question wasn't academic, here's why I made that decision...

All of the boxes on my network are Windows 7. The reason I won't upgrade until forced to do so at gunpoint is the fact that with Windows 10 you can no longer disable Automatic Updates. That's a deal breaker for me.

I make a living during the day as a software developer in the corporate world. There have been numerous occasions where MS pushed an update that broke something in the environment on our 10 boxes. And of course, Murphy dictates that this will always happen on a day when you really don't have time to be troubleshooting it.

I'm neither anti-update nor a Luddite, but I am opposed to losing control of an environment that I depend on. With Windows 7 I can do updates and other maintenance in a controlled manner, when I have time to fix things should they go wrong. I'm unwilling to simply trust that MS won't randomly trash my box while I sleep one night, and Windows 10 really doesn't do anything fundamental that 7 doesn't already do, so 10 stays off my network.

The typical response I hear to this line of thinking is, "well, it works okay for me." And that's great, but not terribly relevant. For those who don't know the joy of going to bed with a working computer and waking the next morning to one that's broken, I hope that's always the case. Perhaps because of my occupation I just see more of the trouble than most, but I'm not handing over the keys to my computer to Windows Update until the day comes when I no longer have a choice. It's an unnecessary risk.
Control Room: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | Yamaha TF5 | Mackie MCU| CMC AI
Edit Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | UR 22 | CMC TP-QC-AI-CH
Keyboard Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 16 gigs memory | UR 22| CMC TP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

djw

Post by djw »

ChrisDuncan wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:15 pm
djw wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm
Any reason why you need to be on Windows 7? It's two versions back, and will be the first to be dropped support for in the future.
Assuming the question wasn't academic, here's why I made that decision... <snip>
It was a genuine question so thanks for answering. It's a very fair point, though as far as I know the auto-updates can be disabled with some work.

Check out a guide such as this one: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop ... windows-10

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

djw wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 pm
It was a genuine question so thanks for answering. It's a very fair point, though as far as I know the auto-updates can be disabled with some work.

Check out a guide such as this one: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop ... windows-10
That's a good article, thanks for the link. I've seen many like it since 10 came out as people attempt to find solutions to this problem (other than mine - just don't install 10 in the first place).

A couple of things for people to note if you want to go down this path.

First, the article you linked to refers to security updates. Further down you'll notice that they have a different guide for "feature" updates and reading that you'll find that you can't disable them, only "defer" when they're installed. And feature updates are far, far more intrusive than a security patch.

The second point has to do with swimming against the current. MS now wants to update your box whether you like it or not, because They Know Best. Since, as with feature updates, you can't completely keep them from reaching into your box and changing things whenever they like (which I personally find disturbing in principle to begin with), you have no guarantee that these registry hacks will continue to work. It's an arms race. You find a workaround, MS finds a way around that. And you'll never know when they do, until it causes something to break.

So, even if it was possible to disable 100% of the automatic updates (and it's not) through well-intentioned hacks like these, you still won't know what night MS will change things while you sleep.

The simple fact of the matter is that with Windows 10, Microsoft has written an Internet enabled back door into your operating system, allowing them to do whatever they want, whenever they please. When any other programmer does this, it's called malware. When Microsoft does it, it's called Automatic Updates.

I realize my tone is a bit cynical but I've been a professional dev in the MS environment for almost three decades now. Naturally I want to play with the newest toys when they come out. However, in this case, it's just not worth the risk. My admitted cynicism is tied to a long row of personal battle scars that exist just below the waterline. :)
Control Room: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | Yamaha TF5 | Mackie MCU| CMC AI
Edit Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | UR 22 | CMC TP-QC-AI-CH
Keyboard Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 16 gigs memory | UR 22| CMC TP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Oh, and apologies for hijacking the topic. This thread is supposed to be about the .3 update, but since you asked the question I wanted to offer an explanation.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled SB conversation, already in progress... :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

djw

Post by djw »

I do think trying to keep using an older OS is also a form of swimming against the current. If it was up to me, Cubase would be on Linux and there would be no reason to have to put up with either Apple's or Microsoft's hijinks. But it's not up to me. :p

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

djw wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:18 pm
I do think trying to keep using an older OS is also a form of swimming against the current.
I completely agree.

For now I don't lose anything by being in 7, so I can avoid the Windows 10 "morning surprise." Of course, one day in the future I'll lose the fight but until then it's one less tech disaster to deal with. The fewer, the better. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

dcleff5

Post by dcleff5 »

Virtual keyboar still isnt available in the update.
Also, cant control individual parts on the Groove Agent e.g Volumes for crash and ride cymbals
Cubase Elements 10
Hp ZBook Workstation G3
Core i7, 16Gb
Windows 10

Romantique Tp
External Moderator

Post by Romantique Tp »

dcleff5 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm
Also, cant control individual parts on the Groove Agent e.g Volumes for crash and ride cymbals
That's only available in the full version of Groove Agent 4.
Every time someone says "it must be easy to add/fix", a programmer dies.

Cubase Pro and Wavelab Pro (latest), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, i5 4690k, GeForce GTX 760, almost every Steinberg plugin and expansion, Trilian, Komplete 10, etc etc etc etc

djw

Post by djw »

dcleff5 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm
Virtual keyboar still isnt available in the update.
If you don't use the floating transport bar, I heavily recommend setting that up to only have the virtual keyboard and using that instead.

That's the workaround for now.

Return to “General”