Decrease entire automation volume at once? possible?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
JACKnight

Decrease entire automation volume at once? possible?

Post by JACKnight »

Hey
Is there a simple way, short of SelectAll-ing the automation points and draging up/down, of moving the volume level of the entire track, with the various automation changes included, of an entire track?
Cheers
Dell Precision Workstation - 2x Xeon QuadCore 2.4Ghz / 24GB ram / NVidea GTX1050ti / 4x 600GB 15kRPM SAS drives / RME HDSP 9652 w/MIDI add-on / Fireface 802-ADI-8pro / UAD 2 Octo / Mackie MCU Pro - Cubase 10.5.12, Nuendo 8.3.20, Wavelab 10.0.40

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Re: Decrease entire automation volume at once? possible?

Post by Prock »

Make sure the "Info Line" is activated. There is a volume (or velocity, depending if the track is audio or midi) entry field you can change there.

Regards 8-)
Last edited by Prock on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5.20, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

jamescolah

Post by jamescolah »

Hi JACKnight,

Once you've selected all the automation you don't have to drag it down! The most accurate way would be to use the 'Value' parameter in the top left horizontal box area and there you can decrease the volume or anything else in very small steps!

I hope this has helped you?

Kind regards

James Colah
http://www.jamescolahproductions.com
http://www.facebook.com/jamescolahproductionsgb
http://www.twitter.com/jamescolah

Larioso

Post by Larioso »

I'm just so fond of the Trim automation stuff - giving you both total curve and relative curve until you are done with it.
a) enable write automation of the track
b) in automation panel activate Trim and Fill To End and also fill to Start
c) still in stop mode, just move fader to adjust entire automation in a relative manner
d) turn off write automation

Note that if transport is running and move fader, you get relative write automation filled with last value all the way.

I prefer to make freeze trim automation manually - so have both a relative curve until satisfied.
Default I think is that relative is frozen into old automation as you stop writing, so set to manual if.

I have automation panel floating all the time while mixing, so not so many steps really.
Windows 7 Pro - Intel i7-860 2.8GHz 16 GB - Cubase Pro 9.5 latest - RME HDSP 9632 + AI4S + Audient ASP 800 - Nvidia GT730

RichardTownsend

Post by RichardTownsend »

When I need to do this, I don't adjust the automation, but change the gain in the 'pre' rack in the mixer.
2014 MacBook Pro 15", 16Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 2Tb CIE Rugged External HD, BENQ GW2765 display at 2560 x 1440, Mac OS Mojave, Cubase 10.5.x, Dorico 3.x, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, NI Kontrol 6, Neumann KH120 monitors, Focal Elear phones, NI Komplete 12, Omnisphere, Kontakt libraries, Serum, Superior Drummer 3

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis »

RichardTownsend wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 pm
When I need to do this, I don't adjust the automation, but change the gain in the 'pre' rack in the mixer.
Is a downside to doing this that it could change the sound (beyond volume changes) by changing how hard the signal is hitting the plug-ins (comp, etc.)?
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Aivaras

Post by Aivaras »

alexis wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 pm
RichardTownsend wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 pm
Is a downside to doing this that it could change the sound (beyond volume changes) by changing how hard the signal is hitting the plug-ins (comp, etc.)?
Exactly. That would change the levels of singals one is feeding to FX processors (plug-ins).

In the case of dymanic processors, that would be like changing threshold values.
Aivaras
Garsų menė

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Another approach would be to either route the track to a Group or assign a VCA to it and lower it there.

Personally I'd go with selecting all the data points and changing value on the Info Line - seems the most straightforward to me.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

Aivaras

Post by Aivaras »

JACKnight wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 pm
Hey
Is there a simple way, short of SelectAll-ing the automation points and draging up/down, of moving the volume level of the entire track, with the various automation changes included, of an entire track?
Cheers
The last two insert FX slots are post-fader. You can insert a plug-in with a gain knob into one of them to control the output level of the track. Controlling levels this way would not affect automation, nor pre-fader insert FXs.
Aivaras
Garsų menė

Aivaras

Post by Aivaras »

raino wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 pm
Personally I'd go with selecting all the data points and changing value on the Info Line - seems the most straightforward to me.
I agree. Methodically, this is the soundest way. If volume is being automated it is automation one should target.
Aivaras
Garsų menė

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety »

Aivaras wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:48 pm
raino wrote:
I agree. Methodically, this is the soundest way. If volume is being automated it is automation one should target.
But wouldn't you lose relative changes doing it this way? Dragging up/down from the arrows at the centre top of the selection in the Automation track, on the other hand, would keep things relative.

Gotta say, though, I like the sound of Trim. I find the way automating a fader locks it, necessitating all these workarounds, such a pain that I avoid it. This might be a way out for me too. Time to rtfm a bit...
Instruments: Piano/keys, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocal
Current Sounds: Cactus Juice (@Soundcloud) - Former Sounds: Ask Murt (@MySpace)

Every day's a skool day...

Makumbaria

Post by Makumbaria »

Crotchety wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:20 pm
Aivaras wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:48 pm
raino wrote:
But wouldn't you lose relative changes doing it this way?
No, all your automation will keep the relative values between them.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20 / Wavelab el 10.0.30 / Cubasis 2.8 / CMC-TP/CH/AI/QC/PD / Cubase IC Pro 1.2.2
Windows 10 Pro 64 bits/ i7 3630QM / 2.4Ghz / 16 GB & i7 950 / 3.06Ghz / 8GB RAM / Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
Dorico 3.1.10 / Halion 6.2.10 / Halion Sonic 3.2.10 / Padshop Pro 1.2.10 / HSO 1.0 / The Grand 3.2.0/

Ivory II Italian Grand / Ravenscroft 275 / Vienna imperial piano / Alicia Keys Piano / Addictive drums 2 & Keys / Ezdrummer 2 / Abbey Road Modern Drums / GPO 5 / VSL / Vienna Mir pro 24 /Bias amp & FX 1 & 2/ Amplitube 3 & 4 / Kuassa Creme & One / TH2 & 3 / Mercuriall Spark & Reaxis / Nugen Audio / Slate Digital / Wave Arts / Waves V9 & V10 / Softube / Toneboosters / NI / Neural DSP Darkglass ultra / PSP audioware / Markstudio 2 /

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety »

Makumbaria wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:39 pm
What, even from the info line?

Makumbaria

Post by Makumbaria »

Yes, even from the info line.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20 / Wavelab el 10.0.30 / Cubasis 2.8 / CMC-TP/CH/AI/QC/PD / Cubase IC Pro 1.2.2
Windows 10 Pro 64 bits/ i7 3630QM / 2.4Ghz / 16 GB & i7 950 / 3.06Ghz / 8GB RAM / Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
Dorico 3.1.10 / Halion 6.2.10 / Halion Sonic 3.2.10 / Padshop Pro 1.2.10 / HSO 1.0 / The Grand 3.2.0/

Ivory II Italian Grand / Ravenscroft 275 / Vienna imperial piano / Alicia Keys Piano / Addictive drums 2 & Keys / Ezdrummer 2 / Abbey Road Modern Drums / GPO 5 / VSL / Vienna Mir pro 24 /Bias amp & FX 1 & 2/ Amplitube 3 & 4 / Kuassa Creme & One / TH2 & 3 / Mercuriall Spark & Reaxis / Nugen Audio / Slate Digital / Wave Arts / Waves V9 & V10 / Softube / Toneboosters / NI / Neural DSP Darkglass ultra / PSP audioware / Markstudio 2 /

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety »

Well, that's good to know. Cheers! :D

Still reckon that Trim's worth a proper look, though. I'd much rather do this from the mixer...

JACKnight

Post by JACKnight »

Yowza! You guys have some great ideas.
I've done the "boost Pre" but you're right, it meddles with other gain values.
I''ve also done the Info Line technique, but, honestly, was hoping for an even lazier way...lol
The Trim thing sounds quite interesting and I'm going to try that right now.
Thanks Everybody!
Cheers
ps - why'd they scrap the thank you button?
Dell Precision Workstation - 2x Xeon QuadCore 2.4Ghz / 24GB ram / NVidea GTX1050ti / 4x 600GB 15kRPM SAS drives / RME HDSP 9652 w/MIDI add-on / Fireface 802-ADI-8pro / UAD 2 Octo / Mackie MCU Pro - Cubase 10.5.12, Nuendo 8.3.20, Wavelab 10.0.40

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Crotchety wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 pm
Makumbaria wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:39 pm
On the Info Line the value shown will be for the 1st selected event. If you enter a value that is 10dB lower than the current value all the other events will also be decreased by 10dB from their initial value.

However when you type in a value on the Info Line if instead of hitting Enter to apply the new value you use ctrl+Enter then all the selected events will be set to that value. So "60 ctrl+Enter" will set all the events to 60.

The disadvantage to dragging the selected events is that it is harder to be precise (if that really matters to you). But the advantage is you could grab the Scaling point which lets you 'compress' the changes so the lower values are reduced less than the larger values. Which might sound more musical depending on the context. For example if the existing automation just moves up & down in say a 6dB range then changing the values by a constant amount likely sounds fine. But if you were dropping 18db from the chorus to the verse then scaling might work better because lowering by a constant could make the part inaudible in the verse.

And that's why we have Undo ;)
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

JACKnight wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:19 pm
ps - why'd they scrap the thank you button?
Apparently that capability doesn't exist in this version of the forum software. They'd have kept it if had been available - according to a post in the forum sub-forum
rodger

mbira

Post by mbira »

I was watching a guy just yesterday that uses metagrid ipad app to control cubase. He has created a bunch of macros with the PLE and he created some with incremental automation boost and reduction buttons. Search under youtube for "metagrid cubase" and his stuff should come up-it'll show you what you need to do with or without the app, but I ended up downloading the app and creating a some pretty cool stuff in just a day.
Cubase Pro | Wavelab Pro | Dorico Pro | SpectraLayers | Halion 6 | Laptop: Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 32 G RAM, OS 10.15.5| Studio computer: 2012 12 core Mac Pro Tower 64 G RAM | PC Slave i7 8920 running VEP6 | Apollo 16 Firewire

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety »

raino wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 am
Crotchety wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2017 22:42

Makumbaria wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2017 22:39

On the Info Line the value shown will be for the 1st selected event. If you enter a value that is 10dB lower than the current value all the other events will also be decreased by 10dB from their initial value.
In other words, Makumbaria is mistaken in post #14...

What I would really like is a means of doing this quickly from the mixer, without diving into the project or even having to faff about with Automation Panel. I don't know how many modifier keys are left over for use with faders but something like Ctrl-Fader to override and adjust the automation would do the job for me. Quick, painless and not requiring much thought!

Slightly expanding: Automate anything and it is effectively disabled. Try Mute and Solo! Clicking Read off runs the danger that you will forget to switch it back on again. Bypassing it ditto because for some bizarre reason - space probably - you can only get at it from the project, not the mixer (afaik...), and it's too easy to forget.

Makumbaria

Post by Makumbaria »

Crotchety wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 pm

This is exactly what I was talking about. For example, If you select 3 midi notes (with different velocities) and edit it using the info line all relative difference between velocities will remain. Same thing happens if you select multiple volume automation values. If you want the same value for every selected item you will need to do the ctrl+Enter procedure.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Crotchety wrote:
Not at all.
rodger

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge »

Main studio: Cubase pro 10.0.3, Wavelab 9.5, mac pro middle 2012, saffire pro 40, waves 9, 10 and 11, t-racks, plugin alliance, superior drummer and komplete, and much more. Mackie D8B with probox DAW controller (MCU protocoll and Generic remote)

Classroom 1: imac with Cubase elements 10, saffire pro 40, behringer x32 as DAW controller MCU or MIDI/generic remote
Classroom 2: mac pro 2011, Cubase elements 10.5, protools 11, scarlet 18i20, 3d gen

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety »

Makumbaria wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 pm
Crotchety wrote:

This is exactly what I was talking about. For example, If you select 3 midi notes (with different velocities) and edit it using the info line all relative difference between velocities will remain. Same thing happens if you select multiple volume automation values. If you want the same value for every selected item you will need to do the ctrl+Enter procedure.
raino wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 pm
Crotchety wrote:
Not at all.
That's what I thought he'd said but got confused by the later answer. Apologies to all concerned. My brain ain't what it used to be...

Btw, I think this new forum is getting the quotes wrong - that first quote is me quoting Raino, not mine.

Rexxyboy

Post by Rexxyboy »

jamescolah wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 pm
Hi JACKnight,

Once you've selected all the automation you don't have to drag it down! The most accurate way would be to use the 'Value' parameter in the top left horizontal box area and there you can decrease the volume or anything else in very small steps!
Mate, thank you!! Life saver :D :D :D
Win10/ RME / Cubase Pro 10.5 / Native Instruments / Slate / Waves / Focal / Yada Yada ...

Return to “General”