[CAN-6382]Mac users with GUI/graphics issue.

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
kdogg456

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st post!

Post by kdogg456 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:11 am

I feel everyone's pain deeply on this - if you have a mac that supports OS 10.9.5 you owe to yourself to install it on a new partition and just test out both Cubase 9 and Cubase 8. Cubase 8.0.4 and 10.9.5 is the most lag free, stable combination I've found. Media bay loads immediately, zooming is fast with lots of audio waveforms on the screen and super fast if only using midi. I was on 10.11 with Cubase 9 and it was painful, all of the mac os's after 10.9.5 feel laggy to me. Cubase 9 is much better on 10.9.5 but not nearly as good as Cubase 8.

Cubase 8.0.4 is snappier than Logic 10.2.2 (last supported version) on 10.9.5. I know this doesn't help anyone who has a machine that won't support mavericks but before making the jump to windows you should give it a try. I may consider getting an over clocked windows machine in the near future simply because I enjoy working with Cubase too much, want to use Cubase 9 on mac but it's not polished as 8 is.
Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5 ghz 32GB Ram OSX 10.11.6 & 10.9.5 / MacBook Pro 2011 17" 2.2 ghz 16GB Ram OSX 10.9.5

djw

Post by djw » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:23 am

peakae wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:13 am
But what amount of onboard RAM has your gfx card, and how many screens @ what resolution are connected.
That is something that could be of general interest, just to see if there is a pattern.
^ This here is an underrated question. It's nice information to have in your signature anyway if you don't already.
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

jonwright

Post by jonwright » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:04 am

StudioSanctum wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:31 pm
If Steinberg had any decent software engineers working for them they would have reverse engineered the code in Logic by now. If anything, just to examine how Apple has gotten the program to run so efficiently and the GUI to be so smooth. Not saying to steal the code, but to learn from it and see how to implement it into Cubase. Seeing as Cubase has been plagued for many years, they have had plenty of time to do that. Even Pro Tools suffered from GUI issues there for a bit, but they quickly got on it and fixed it.
I've no idea how software programming works, but Studio One seems to be a good example of code that works well on both a Mac and PC. It's certainly as smooth as butter for me and works equally well on high resolution screens. Like Logic, it also supports trackpad gestures like pinch and zoom, something I use a lot.

As I say I have no idea how these thinks are coded, so could well be completely off base, but it seems as if the developers are restricted by old 'inflexible' code (see the insert slot limitation thread for an example) which is holding back their ability to update the UI and fix issues.

I'd guess it could take years of work to create a new UI.

I could be talking out of my bum though.
http://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com

Cubase 9.5.0, Mac OS 10.12.6

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:31 pm

After reading this article, I am tempted to get a Pascal card for my Mac Pro 5,1. Perhaps it won't matter/make a difference but I guess I can always get a refund or sell the card on? Any thoughts?

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/ ... comments=1
Please make me stop buying stuff.

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Also, anyone got any thoughts about this?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvid ... 35.213122/

Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:05 pm

jonwright wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:04 am
I've no idea how software programming works, but Studio One seems to be a good example of code that works well on both a Mac and PC. It's certainly as smooth as butter for me and works equally well on high resolution screens. Like Logic, it also supports trackpad gestures like pinch and zoom, something I use a lot.
Now THAT would be cool! I work between both Cubase and Logic, and I'm always naturally trying to zoom with the trackpad.

Honestly, I hope this GUI stuff gets resolved for everyone experiencing the issues. I cannot say I have any issues, and my system is snappy, crisp and solid (I also have two additional monitors connected to my MacBook). Why? I have no idea, but I will hold off on upgrading to a new Mac until it's sorted :?

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 pm

jono not bono wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:31 pm
After reading this article, I am tempted to get a Pascal card for my Mac Pro 5,1. Perhaps it won't matter/make a difference but I guess I can always get a refund or sell the card on? Any thoughts?

Save your money - it's a software issue.
2012 Mac Pro 10.11.4, 24 GB RAM, Cubase 8.5 UAD-2 Duo

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:16 pm

jpgtr wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 pm
jono not bono wrote:

Agreed. I wouldn't spend a dime on trying to fix issues that lay at the feet of Steinberg. These are not hardware issues.

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 am

StudioSanctum wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:16 pm
jpgtr wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 pm
jono not bono wrote:

Agreed. I wouldn't spend a dime on trying to fix issues that lay at the feet of Steinberg. These are not hardware issues.
I'm actually considering going back to PC. I never thought I'd say that.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:20 am

jono not bono wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:26 pm
Also, anyone got any thoughts about this?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvid ... 35.213122/
Anyone with a post 2013 Mac Pro probably has an AMD card, so it won't help us unfortunately.
Cubase 9.5, Nuendo 8.0.2, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, Sierra 10.12.1 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 32 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

markanera2017

Post by markanera2017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:05 pm

AMD and NVIDIA video cards are not working correctly! If you have a higher resolution of 1080p then the graphics performance is very poor. :(
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, El Capitan 10.11.6, Cubase Pro 8.5 and 9.0.30 and Mac Pro 5.1 Xeon 3.33 12 Core 64 GB RAM with ASUS GTX 1080 Founders Edition Macos 10.12.6

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Gentlemen, I implore you: let's not derail this thread. This thread was created to help Fabio with people to report issues with their Macs, and I have been guilty for going off of that path, too, but am stopping after this post. He and Steinberg are working on this because they know it's a significant issue for many -- it's why he made it a Sticky.

This thread is very specifically only about Mac users who are experiencing GUI issues, to report their issues and system stats.

There is no need to respond to this post -- let's just do the constructive thing that this thread was meant for (again, I'm guilty of derailing it here and there as well, and won't any more). Thank you.
Last edited by In_Stereo on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 9.5, Nuendo 8.0.2, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, Sierra 10.12.1 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 32 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:23 pm

In_Stereo wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 pm
Gentlemen, I implore you: please, please, please do not derail this thread. This thread was created to help Fabio with people to report issues with their Macs, and I have been guilty for going off of that path, too, but am stopping after this post. He and Steinberg are working on this because they know it's a significant issue for many -- it's why he made it a Sticky.

This thread is very specifically only about Mac users who are experiencing GUI issues, to report their issues and system stats.

There is no need to respond to this post -- let's just do the constructive thing that this thread was meant for (again, I'm guilty of derailing it here and there as well, and won't any more). Thank you.
I am on board with you. I tried to send you a PM, but apparently I have no idea how to use the PM feature on here LOL... Cheers!

SuStudio

Post by SuStudio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 pm

I've been watching from the sidelines and working without issue on my AMD-trashcan Mac 6,2 on OSX 10.10 when another Steinberg flub forced me into upgrading to OSX 10.12 - thanks again Lars! About a week in, I'm working without any GUI issues within the main screen or editors and among new and archived projects. Of course now that I've committed this to the thread all hell might break loose but, until then, damn the torpedoes!
Cubase 9.0.3 - Wavelab 7.2.1 - Cubasis 2.2 & ICPro
Mac Pro Quad 3.7 Ghz 32GB, OSX 10.12.6
Macbook Pro 2.77 Ghz 8GB, OXS 10.12.6
UA Apollo Twin Duo, G-Tech Raid, Novation SLMKII, True P-Solo, innumerable VSTi & plug-ins.

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 pm

SuStudio wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 pm
I've been watching from the sidelines and working without issue on my AMD-trashcan Mac 6,2 on OSX 10.10 when another Steinberg flub forced me into upgrading to OSX 10.12 - thanks again Lars! About a week in, I'm working without any GUI issues within the main screen or editors and among new and archived projects. Of course now that I've committed this to the thread all hell might break loose but, until then, damn the torpedoes!
I've tried with that same setup you just mentioned and the meters lag. Bear in mind that this is in comparison to Logic and it's super snappy GUI and meter responsiveness. I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't seeing more reports of GUI sluggishness simply because people have no other frame of reference. If a person assumed the meter lag that I see and the overall GUI sluggishness was normal, they wouldn't know any better. Just a thought, but I think a lot of this is going on. I've used C7, C8, C9, Logic (all versions), Pro Tools, Ableton Live, and Studio One, and I can honestly say that there is a serious and real problem here with Cubase and it's GUI.

SuStudio

Post by SuStudio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 pm

StudioSanctum wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 pm
I've tried with that same setup you just mentioned and the meters lag. Bear in mind that this is in comparison to Logic and it's super snappy GUI and meter responsiveness. I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't seeing more reports of GUI sluggishness simply because people have no other frame of reference. If a person assumed the meter lag that I see and the overall GUI sluggishness was normal, they wouldn't know any better.
I'm no neophyte but I'll bite - post a few clips of what you're referring to perhaps with a "how it's supposed to be" clip and what you're experiencing with Cubase. So far from what has been posted on this thread by others, I am not experiencing any of these symptoms.
UA Apollo Twin Duo, G-Tech Raid, Novation SLMKII, True P-Solo, innumerable VSTi & plug-ins.

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:05 pm

SuStudio wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 pm
StudioSanctum wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 pm
I've tried with that same setup you just mentioned and the meters lag. Bear in mind that this is in comparison to Logic and it's super snappy GUI and meter responsiveness. I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't seeing more reports of GUI sluggishness simply because people have no other frame of reference. If a person assumed the meter lag that I see and the overall GUI sluggishness was normal, they wouldn't know any better.
I'm no neophyte but I'll bite - post a few clips of what you're referring to perhaps with a "how it's supposed to be" clip and what you're experiencing with Cubase. So far from what has been posted on this thread by others, I am not experiencing any of these symptoms.
I wasn't at all trying to be insulting, I promise. I was merely voicing one hypothesis I have as to why we aren't seeing more people on here screaming. Of course I realize many people won't say anything at all. I have no way of sharing a video from my old trash can MP as I'm now using a 2017 top of the line iMac. I would be happy however to shoot some video of C9 and the GUI sluggishness with that machine compared to say Logic. The sluggish meters are what really drive me nuts in C9. That and when the playhead cursor starts to stutter and lag. It's a serious eyesore. You don't see any of this in Logic or Pro Tools for that matter. Smooth as butter. Oh and btw, I also get the same GUI madness with the new 2017 top of the line MBP too.

SuStudio

Post by SuStudio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:48 pm

No offense taken and I'm not discounting your theory on its surface but, given the nature of the GUI issues detailed here and elsewhere, I would think even a casual user would become annoyed and report accordingly. As stated, I was experiencing none of the reported symptoms on OSX 10.10 yet kept apprised on the issue from this thread in hopes of upgrading to 10.12 at some point. And, without the other set of circumstances introduced by Steinberg with the IC PRO app, I'd still be waiting.

Of course the other side to your theory is that there are plenty of Mac users on C9 who aren't experiencing the GUI issues and, at least to some measurable extent, I'm now one of them.

Vinylizor

Post by Vinylizor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 am

I think we need a little comparative context here.

Anyone with an iPad - download the Cubasis LE demo and run it. It's super fluid and responsive just like most IOS apps are - and it's how Cubase on a Mac (and PC djw.....) should be.

Now anyone with a Mac that says they're not having any GUI issues - can you honestly say its as good as the IOS version?

On my Mac its nowhere near this, and it should be, as this is how Logic works.
C9.5.10
RME Raydat
Core Audio driver
Mac Pro 5,1 2 X 3.46 Ghz 12 core 48Gb Ram. NVIDIA GTX 680.
OSX 10.13.2

Lasso

Post by Lasso » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am

Vinylizor wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 am

Anyone with an iPad - download the Cubasis LE demo and run it. It's super fluid and responsive just like most IOS apps are - and it's how Cubase on a Mac (and PC djw.....) should be.

Now anyone with a Mac that says they're not having any GUI issues - can you honestly say its as good as the IOS version?

Two completely different apps - how would a comparison benefit anything? Apples and oranges :)
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, El Capitan, Cubase Pro 9 lates release, Wavelab 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

Vinylizor

Post by Vinylizor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Lasso wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am
Two completely different apps - how would a comparison benefit anything? Apples and oranges :)
But it isn't - and that's the point.

There will be large chunks of code that are identical - it's a cross platform code base.

And that begs the question, Is Cubasis IOS using Metal to do its graphics rendering?

If it is, can it be transferred over to the Mac version?
C9.5.10
RME Raydat
Core Audio driver
Mac Pro 5,1 2 X 3.46 Ghz 12 core 48Gb Ram. NVIDIA GTX 680.
OSX 10.13.2

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Vinylizor wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 pm
Lasso wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am
But it isn't - and that's the point.

There will be large chunks of code that are identical - it's a cross platform code base.

And that begs the question, Is Cubasis IOS using Metal to do its graphics rendering?

If it is, can it be transferred over to the Mac version?
Excellent points!

SuStudio

Post by SuStudio » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Vinylizor wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 am

Sorry to be another dissenter but I think your comparison is specious at best. Tactility and aesthetics alone prevent a real shootout since the experience is completely different. However, I have an iPad Pro running Cubasis 2.2 and I often transfer the projects into Cubase Pro and have never experienced the graphical-performance letdown your describe - nor have any other users or clients using our setup. Of course you have to do a bit of meter tweaking to get things in a similar ballpark but, aside from the iPad graphically looking sharper due to its size, etc. performance is generally the same.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:25 pm

For me one of the big questions is why many Mac users with stock Macs deal with this issue. Macs are not - for better or for worse - as variable/deeply tweakable as Windows machines...in fact, they mostly aren't variable at all internally unless you do your own tinkering with them, which is almost impossible in many of their all-in-one units.

I haven't touched a thing on my Mac Pro since I bought it, and haven't done any weird system tweaks or anything. It's totally streamlined for music only, and there are no non-music related apps aside from the stock stuff (Safari, etc.). So, if on the very same computer I can run Pro Tools, Studio One, or Reaper and have no GUI issues like I have on Cubase, I don't know what I can possibly do unless Steinberg can find out and tell me...there are no variables aside from external devices (in my case there's an external TB SSD drive chassis, a TB Apollo 8, and a USB MIDI into a keyboard, plus the USB eLicenser key and iLok key.. And again: All of these other DAWs work perfectly GUI-wise with all of the same things attached and all of the exact same plugins from the same plug-in folder (aside from Pro Tools, which of course doesn't use VST) -- that's truly not an exaggeration!

I don't know what they have to do to get it fixed, but I wonder if someone could spy on AVID's code to see how they very specifically fixed a similar GUI situation for Pro Tools (I experienced the problem as a PT user, as did many but not all - just like here with Cubase...but they fixed it fairly quickly when it happened).

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 pm

In_Stereo wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:25 pm
For me one of the big questions is why many Mac users with stock Macs deal with this issue. Macs are not - for better or for worse - as variable/deeply tweakable as Windows machines...in fact, they mostly aren't variable at all internally unless you do your own tinkering with them, which is almost impossible in many of their all-in-one units.

I haven't touched a thing on my Mac Pro since I bought it, and haven't done any weird system tweaks or anything. It's totally streamlined for music only, and there are no non-music related apps aside from the stock stuff (Safari, etc.). So, if on the very same computer I can run Pro Tools, Studio One, or Reaper and have no GUI issues like I have on Cubase, I don't know what I can possibly do unless Steinberg can find out and tell me...there are no variables aside from external devices (in my case there's an external TB SSD drive chassis, a TB Apollo 8, and a USB MIDI into a keyboard, plus the USB eLicenser key and iLok key.. And again: All of these other DAWs work perfectly GUI-wise with all of the same things attached and all of the exact same plugins from the same plug-in folder (aside from Pro Tools, which of course doesn't use VST) -- that's truly not an exaggeration!

I don't know what they have to do to get it fixed, but I wonder if someone could spy on AVID's code to see how they very specifically fixed a similar GUI situation for Pro Tools (I experienced the problem as a PT user, as did many but not all - just like here with Cubase...but they fixed it fairly quickly when it happened).
I too had the Pro Tools GUI issues that were very rapidly fixed. Why can't Steinberg do the same thing?

Return to “General”