[CAN-6382]Mac users with GUI/graphics issue.

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Locked
oneixl
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by oneixl » Wed May 17, 2017 12:47 am

just updated to 9.0.2.....lag still there in osx sierra. entirely to do with waveforms rendering ...with waveforms turned off, fast as ever

kdogg456
New Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by kdogg456 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 am

Same issue as mentioned above with CPU usage, graphic lag isn't bad at all on Mavericks with 9.0.2. Honestly version 8.0.35 is still the tops for me, with Mavericks 10.9.5. Gotta love draggin and droppin midi files / audio to the media bay, wish they'd bring that back. Really want to use 9 but everything is so much more solid and snappy with 8.0.35.
Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5 ghz 32GB Ram OSX 10.11.6 & 10.9.5 / MacBook Pro 2011 17" 2.2 ghz 16GB Ram OSX 10.9.5

leroo
Junior Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by leroo » Fri May 19, 2017 1:56 pm

This issue should be fix now, once and for all.
Even if I'm not severely affected like other users, it's just slow me down.

A little update on the subject by moderator please.
Late 2013 iMac i7 ssd
OSX 10.12.4
Steinberg UR44
Cubase 9.0.20

ctthuhuong
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by ctthuhuong » Sat May 20, 2017 9:55 am

i just want to confirm that i also do have these gui problems (cubase 9.0.10, mac pro 2013, El Capitan). very slow and sluggy zooming, moving an event takes a lot of time (cubase 6.5. was fast as hell in comparison to that). even bypassing inserts or sends takes it's time: it takes three or five times to klick on the "knob" until the program reacts. opening windows (plugins, mixer, whatever): very slow. positioning the cursor in the arrangement window takes two or there clicks in "empty space" until cubase takes the position. things like that.
these are my main issues, which make my workflow quite uncomfortable. i just summed it up, hoping it helps. the more people post their experiences, the bigger the chances to get the problem solved! thank you.
(sorry, my english not perfekt ;) )

musicproducerunik
New Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by musicproducerunik » Sat May 20, 2017 12:50 pm

"hi fabio,

Thanks for taking the time to contact me.
At this point, i feel like i have provided enough information for Steinberg to figure this out.
I do not get paid to trouble shoot, neither will i receive any kind of compensation. This issue is easy to reproduce, as it happens on various setups.
Cubase has been buggy for years, but this is a desaster.

As of yet i have switched to Presonus Studio One and will continue to use it until Steinberg provides a stable Version of Cubase.
Feel free to contact me when all serious bugs are fixed.

Good Luck"

musicproducerunik
New Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by musicproducerunik » Thu May 25, 2017 12:06 am

djw wrote:So you got asked to provide information but refused? That's not very helpful....
that's not exactly true. i have already have over 20 email convo with fabio explaining every single detail giving tons of crash reports, user data, setup specs. even had an extensive teamviewer session. enough is enough. this problem is easy to reproduce, so i don't see any need in providing any more information. fk buy a 2016 touchbar macbook, an imac a 2011 macbook, install sierra and cubase and figure it out. my setup is not that special :) tired of you people trolling here. get a job, seriously.

jssi.net
New Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by jssi.net » Fri May 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Well, I have to go back to the PC. It was working fine after the 9.0.20 update until I got a larger display... Now stuttering, dropouts when I play back even simple projects with only 2 or 3 audio tracks. Same project on Windows works just fine. I give up - this has been happening for months now and I can't waste anymore time on it...
Thanks,
Eddy
Apple Mac Mini - 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory, 1TB Fusion Drive, Intel Iris Graphics, Thunderbolt 2, HDMI port, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0.

Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7-3770 3.4GHz, 32GB, DZ77GA-70K Desktop board

Cubase 9.0.20_64, Wavelab Elements 9_64, Mainstage
Izotope Ozone7, Izotope Music Production Bundle2, Soundtoys
RME Fireface 802 (firewire)

ctthuhuong
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by ctthuhuong » Mon May 29, 2017 5:07 am

Hi, I'm wondering if it all comes down to what graphics card you have on your mac. On my quite slow macbook pro I7 from 2011 I'm running Sierra and the latest update without glitches. The card is AMD Radeon HD 6490M and Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. On my much faster Imac where I´ve tried Sierra I got glitches and slower handling over all. The card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M. Just a thought! Kind regards, Peo

User avatar
premediesel
New Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:18 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by premediesel » Tue May 30, 2017 5:53 am

BUMP

Having really slow GUI on Cubase 9.0.x on OSX 10.12

Primarily the meters lagging, border lining on unusable at times.
Mix Engineer / Producer
http://www.jamiekuse.com
--
Cubase 9.5.0

claesbjo
Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by claesbjo » Tue May 30, 2017 1:23 pm

ctthuhuong wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if it all comes down to what graphics card you have on your mac. On my quite slow macbook pro I7 from 2011 I'm running Sierra and the latest update without glitches. The card is AMD Radeon HD 6490M and Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. On my much faster Imac where I´ve tried Sierra I got glitches and slower handling over all. The card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M. Just a thought! Kind regards, Peo
I experience the same, pretty OK on my laptop but sluggish on my Mac Pro. I truly believe it depends on how big/many screens U use, and how much waveform displayed in the arrangement.
2010 Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 ghz. 24 mb RAM. osx 10.10.1. Cubase 8.0.20, Logic PRO 10.1

User avatar
Fabio Bartolini
Moderator
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by Fabio Bartolini » Tue May 30, 2017 2:47 pm

Unfortunately, we couldn't find a specific GPU or generation or manufacturer that causes this. We have AMD, nVidia and Intel similarly affected.

There is some progress, thanks to the traces we have received from some of you and the developers identified a couple areas that need attention. At this time it's not really clear how much it will take to nail down everything (although there are tasks scheduled for the next update), but it has high priority and discussed on a daily basis.
Fabio Bartolini, Support Representative
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

Lasso
Member
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by Lasso » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Playing back automated parameters of Valhallah Vintage Verb causes huge lags - smooth while writing the automation.

Slate VBC plugins causes lags.
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, El Capitan, Cubase Pro 9 lates release, Wavelab 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

User avatar
Fabio Bartolini
Moderator
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by Fabio Bartolini » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 am

Lasso wrote:Playing back automated parameters of Valhallah Vintage Verb causes huge lags - smooth while writing the automation.

Slate VBC plugins causes lags.
Interesting, thanks, we'll check out Valhalla. The issue you have with VBC might be what our devs found during testing: viewtopic.php?f=250&t=108500&start=150#p635101
Fabio Bartolini, Support Representative
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

Vinylizor
Junior Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by Vinylizor » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Fabio

Have you figured out the issue with clicked elements not responding?

For example turning on / off EQ bands, opening closing plugins via the e edit button from the channel strip?

Sometimes it can take half a dozen mouse clicks to get the damn buttons to respond. This is a very recent issue and seems to effect some sessions more than others, but its a hell of workflow killer.

When it doesn't drive you crazy it becomes laughable.
C9.5.10
RME Raydat
Core Audio driver
Mac Pro 5,1 2 X 3.46 Ghz 12 core 48Gb Ram. NVIDIA GTX 680.
OSX 10.13.2

User avatar
djw
Senior Member
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by djw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Vinylizor wrote:Have you figured out the issue with clicked elements not responding?

For example turning on / off EQ bands, opening closing plugins via the e edit button from the channel strip?

Sometimes it can take half a dozen mouse clicks to get the damn buttons to respond.
Does it still happen with the mouse held absolutely still?

In that case it sounds like the input polling isn't being done regularly enough, so it misses inputs like a left click. This would also explain double clicks not being registered.
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

Vinylizor
Junior Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by Vinylizor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:05 am

Even if the mouse is perfectly still it simply doesn't register the clicks.
C9.5.10
RME Raydat
Core Audio driver
Mac Pro 5,1 2 X 3.46 Ghz 12 core 48Gb Ram. NVIDIA GTX 680.
OSX 10.13.2

User avatar
jonwright
Junior Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by jonwright » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:16 am

I've come across the issue for the first time on my laptop.

Macbook Retina - Mid 2012
macOS Sierra 10.12.5

I've suffered the GUI lag and audio stuttering while trying to move parts and edit MIDI notes while playback is taking place.

'Open in Low Resolution' helps quite a lot.

My main DAW, a late 2013 iMac, works without any problems.
http://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com

Cubase 9.5.0, Mac OS 10.12.6

Lasso
Member
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by Lasso » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 am

Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Lasso wrote:Playing back automated parameters of Valhallah Vintage Verb causes huge lags - smooth while writing the automation.

Slate VBC plugins causes lags.
Interesting, thanks, we'll check out Valhalla. The issue you have with VBC might be what our devs found during testing: viewtopic.php?f=250&t=108500&start=150#p635101
Check out this video: http://tonekontrol.dk/temp/IMG_3290.MOV

As you can see WRITING the automation is ok but notice the CPU hit once that automation gets read back - out of control.
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, El Capitan, Cubase Pro 9 lates release, Wavelab 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

User avatar
James K
Member
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:43 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by James K » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Fabio,
Is Steinberg anywhere close to a maintenance update with GUI fixes?
27 in - iMac 2011 , 16 Gigs RAM , Cubase Pro 9.020….UR28M….CC121….all Steinberg VSTi, Nexus, Saurus, Waves, El Capitan on one partition, Windows 8.1 on bootcamp.
http://www.jameswrightmusic.com

User avatar
StudioSanctum
New Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by StudioSanctum » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Fabio,

Can you please tell us why Steinberg has been seemingly ignoring all of these GUI issues on the Mac side for years? Please don't tell us that your engineers haven't been able to replicate any of the issues either. Literally these bugs have been around for many years. There is no excuse or reason why the GUI shouldn't be as smooth and fluid as it is when using Logic or Pro Tools. I used to have issues with Pro Tools GUI lag, but their engineers got right on it and fixed it. I do not have any issues anymore in macOS 10.12.5 or the latest version of Pro Tools. What kind on "noise" is it going to take from your Mac users to get this GUI stuff fixed?

coolbass
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by coolbass » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:50 pm

StudioSanctum wrote:Fabio,

Can you please tell us why Steinberg has been seemingly ignoring all of these GUI issues on the Mac side for years? Please don't tell us that your engineers haven't been able to replicate any of the issues either. Literally these bugs have been around for many years. There is no excuse or reason why the GUI shouldn't be as smooth and fluid as it is when using Logic or Pro Tools. I used to have issues with Pro Tools GUI lag, but their engineers got right on it and fixed it. I do not have any issues anymore in macOS 10.12.5 or the latest version of Pro Tools. What kind on "noise" is it going to take from your Mac users to get this GUI stuff fixed?
Exactly.

User avatar
SuStudio
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 9:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by SuStudio » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:32 am

Has this issue been narrowed down to a specific OSX?
Cubase 9.0.3 - Wavelab 7.2.1 - Cubasis 2.2 & ICPro
Mac Pro Quad 3.7 Ghz 32GB, OSX 10.12.6
Macbook Pro 2.77 Ghz 8GB, OXS 10.12.6
UA Apollo Twin Duo, G-Tech Raid, Novation SLMKII, True P-Solo, innumerable VSTi & plug-ins.

User avatar
jono not bono
Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:43 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by jono not bono » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:39 am

I'm considering buying an Nvidia 1070 GFX card for my Mac Pro 5,1. It uses Pascal drivers which are supported and I'm just hoping this will help the GUI problems I have in Cubase. When I have time I will make a video showing the Cursor being completely un smooth, Lagginess as I zoom into Events, Lagginess when I drag Midi Notes/Data, Zooming in with mouse pressed down (whilst over ruler) and zooming in and out makes all contents of Events both Midi and Audio completely disappear. It makes editing a nightmare and then Cubase will crash, usually as I am editing. I'm not writing this to have a go at Steinberg (I love Cubase). I'm just saying it to say I am experience a lot of problems. I am using an unflashed Nvidia 960 GFX card and I suspect this could be a possible problem so I am willing to change my card for something the Mac Pro 5,1 supports and the 1070 is a beast of a card supporting 4 x 4k monitors so there really shouldn't be any problems with one of those things!
Please make me stop buying stuff.

varqab
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:06 am
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by varqab » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:36 am

I have the same issue. Using iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), i7, 32GB, 1TB SSD.
moving of Events or drag/drop/extend/shorten things in Piano roll lags on main 5K display.
Hooked up a secondary display via thunderbolt->HDMI, ASUS 1080p 21" LED display.
Opened empty project with one instrument only, lags when working on main iMac 5k display, and especially bad in full screen mode. Same project, no lag on smaller external 1080p display.

Here's working in 5K full screen mode:
https://ibb.co/dPcWdQ
Same iMac, same project on an external 1080p display in full screen mode:
https://ibb.co/cLkdQ5

User avatar
djgraver
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st p

Post by djgraver » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:33 am

jono not bono wrote:I'm considering buying an Nvidia 1070 GFX card for my Mac Pro 5,1. It uses Pascal drivers which are supported and I'm just hoping this will help the GUI problems I have in Cubase. When I have time I will make a video showing the Cursor being completely un smooth, Lagginess as I zoom into Events, Lagginess when I drag Midi Notes/Data, Zooming in with mouse pressed down (whilst over ruler) and zooming in and out makes all contents of Events both Midi and Audio completely disappear. It makes editing a nightmare and then Cubase will crash, usually as I am editing. I'm not writing this to have a go at Steinberg (I love Cubase). I'm just saying it to say I am experience a lot of problems. I am using an unflashed Nvidia 960 GFX card and I suspect this could be a possible problem so I am willing to change my card for something the Mac Pro 5,1 supports and the 1070 is a beast of a card supporting 4 x 4k monitors so there really shouldn't be any problems with one of those things!
1070 doesn't solve the problem. I was in same situation, but i buy 1050Ti, before i use integrated intel HD 4600, after installing 1050Ti - no difference.
you can read here, many of us have same problems - viewtopic.php?f=250&t=115038

Fabio says Dev team currently working on this problem, and in 0.30 should fix it, for both OS (mac & win)
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase 9.0.30

Locked

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mittacious, nunl97, zooterman and 3 guests