[CAN-6382]Mac users with GUI/graphics issue.

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Wolfie2112

Re: Mac users with GUI/graphics issue, please read the 1st post!

Post by Wolfie2112 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Vinylizor wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 am
Now anyone with a Mac that says they're not having any GUI issues - can you honestly say its as good as the IOS version?
Yes, for me it's as good as the IOS version, believe it or not (which you probably won't). It looks wonderful on my MacBook Retina (2013), as well as on my older LED monitors. Looks just as good as Logic Pro. No lag whatsoever. So yes, there ARE users without issues.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Wolfie2112 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:37 pm
Yes, for me it's as good as the IOS version, believe it or not (which you probably won't). It looks wonderful on my MacBook Retina (2013), as well as on my older LED monitors. Looks just as good as Logic Pro. No lag whatsoever. So yes, there ARE users without issues.
Color me envious -- I wish I were in your boat on both of my Macs. I personally think it would be valuable for those who aren't experiencing the issue to also report their complete system specs per Fabio's request in the first post on this thread, so any discrepancies in setup, etc., can be logged.

The count for me at this point is six totally different Macs that I've seen the issue on (my trashcan Mac Pro and my 2015 MacBook Pro, a trashcan Mac Pro at Guitar Center, two composing friends one of whom is on a trashcan Mac Pro and the other on a 2016 iMac, and installing it on my girlfriend's 2017 MacBook Pro). The one Mac out of seven I've tried that didn't have the issue was another composing friend's 2011 Mac Pro.
Last edited by In_Stereo on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cubase 9.5, Nuendo 8.0.2, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, Sierra 10.12.1 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 32 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

markanera2017

Post by markanera2017 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Wolfie2112 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:37 pm
Vinylizor wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 am
Now anyone with a Mac that says they're not having any GUI issues - can you honestly say its as good as the IOS version?
If it is not bigger than 1080p, then it's already a graphic performance! Are you in 1080p resolution?
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, El Capitan 10.11.6, Cubase Pro 8.5 and 9.0.30 and Mac Pro 5.1 Xeon 3.33 12 Core 64 GB RAM with ASUS GTX 1080 Founders Edition Macos 10.12.6

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Thread cleaned. Please keep it on topic and professional. Don't reply to trolling. Posts not directly on topic will be removed.
Cubase Pro 9.5 | Windows Pro 10, GA-77x-UD5H | UR44 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:56 am

markanera2017 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:41 am
Cubase 9.0.30 bad graphics performance... Tip: Just put steinberg on the G and H zoom keyboards the quick zoom function and speed up everything. Complicated? Just so round! Please
Please clarify what you are saying here.

James K

Post by James K » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 am

Still rubbish GUI playhead performance!

Nothing changed on Mac......moving the mouse around the screen creates horrible playhead lag.

Logic X runs smooth as butter.

I hoped with all of our efforts providing loads of details and feedback and all the time Steinberg took to provide this update....nothings changed.

There's really no excuse.

Fact: Pro Tools runs smooth...Logic X runs smooth.
27 in - iMac 2011 , 16 Gigs RAM , Cubase Pro 9.020….UR28M….CC121….all Steinberg VSTi, Nexus, Saurus, Waves, El Capitan on one partition, Windows 8.1 on bootcamp.
http://www.jameswrightmusic.com

alessiomarche

Post by alessiomarche » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm

I confirm once again that graphic problems persist. I have no words, horizontal and vertical zoom in the Timeline is always slow and definitely not fluid.
I'm still forced to work with Cubase 8.0.30 which is the only one that works decently, not at all but definitely better than Cubase 9.

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:17 pm

James K wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 am
Still rubbish GUI playhead performance!

Nothing changed on Mac......moving the mouse around the screen creates horrible playhead lag.

Logic X runs smooth as butter.

I hoped with all of our efforts providing loads of details and feedback and all the time Steinberg took to provide this update....nothings changed.

There's really no excuse.

Fact: Pro Tools runs smooth...Logic X runs smooth.
I too can confirm that the GUI madness remains. At this point to be honest, I've given up on Steinberg completely. It feels as though they are giving Mac users and Apple the big middle finger. I don't understand it either. It's like they have something against Apple and Mac... Why? Being this way only hurts them and cuts down their customer base by I'd say over half. Maybe Cubase is about to come to an end. Oh well. Moving on...

Rkmusic

Post by Rkmusic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:21 pm

Still laggy on my end. I gave up and switch back to logic x, which is buttery smooth. Very sad that this lag has been going on for years with no fix.
mac pro 2010 -32g-OSX 10.12.1-Korg m3-Motif xs-Waves gold-Saffire pro 40-liquid saffire 56-Omnisphere-glyph drive-Ensoniq mr 76-Logic x-Cubase pro 8.5.20-pro tools 12.6.1

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Same here - the lag persists in 9.03. I've been learning that this is a very big job to fix and it's possible we'll need to wait until 9.5. Total bummer.
Cubase 9.5, Nuendo 8.0.2, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, Sierra 10.12.1 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 32 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Rkmusic

Post by Rkmusic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm

In_Stereo wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 pm
Same here - the lag persists in 9.03. I've been learning that this is a very big job to fix and it's possible we'll need to wait until 9.5. Total bummer.
No way I'm paying them to fix this problem. I already paid twice. No more
mac pro 2010 -32g-OSX 10.12.1-Korg m3-Motif xs-Waves gold-Saffire pro 40-liquid saffire 56-Omnisphere-glyph drive-Ensoniq mr 76-Logic x-Cubase pro 8.5.20-pro tools 12.6.1

km08

Post by km08 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:40 pm

I have reported this issue for some time now and don't understand why it's not being addressed at this point. It seems many on this forum have noticed similar issues for some time now. When using Cubase 8 or 9 on the Mac OSX Mavericks (10.11.x) or Sierra (10.12.x), there is an incredible lag when working with Cubase whether it be selecting tracks, audio clips, resizing, zooming etc. I can confirm that this issue does not exist (or at least no where as bad) in Yosemite (10.10.x) and the same versions of Cubase. I have done extensive testing on multiple Mac computers (desktops & notebook) with various displays and hard drives (SSD & mechanical) and have been able to reproduce the same results every single time. Cubase 9.0.3 unbder the latest version of Sierra (10.12.6) has still not corrected this issue. Why? I had been told about a year ago that the development team in Germany was looking into the issue. Except, Mavericks and Sierra have been out for quite some time now, and soon to be replaced again. It shouldn't take this long to solve such a problematic issue as this, especially when it effects the user working with the program. At some point soon, I will be forced to update the system and then have to make a choice if this is not corrected by then. I've been a long time Cubase user (along with many other apps on the market) and still prefer it's workflow and options compare to the competitors, however, tings like this seriously need to be addressed. And I will repeat, this is an issue with Cubase under any Mac OS after Yosemite. So the issue did not always exist. And it's reproducible on most Mac computers, especially the larger the project you're working on. What's worse is that I don't believe Cubase 9 even officially supports Yosemite any longer (which it works much better on). I don't really see how it could have been tested on the latest Mac OSX systems that it claims to support.

coolbass1000

Post by coolbass1000 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm

km08 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:40 pm
I have reported this issue for some time now and don't understand why it's not being addressed at this point. It seems many on this forum have noticed similar issues for some time now. When using Cubase 8 or 9 on the Mac OSX Mavericks (10.11.x) or Sierra (10.12.x), there is an incredible lag when working with Cubase whether it be selecting tracks, audio clips, resizing, zooming etc. I can confirm that this issue does not exist (or at least no where as bad) in Yosemite (10.10.x) and the same versions of Cubase. I have done extensive testing on multiple Mac computers (desktops & notebook) with various displays and hard drives (SSD & mechanical) and have been able to reproduce the same results every single time. Cubase 9.0.3 unbder the latest version of Sierra (10.12.6) has still not corrected this issue. Why? I had been told about a year ago that the development team in Germany was looking into the issue. Except, Mavericks and Sierra have been out for quite some time now, and soon to be replaced again. It shouldn't take this long to solve such a problematic issue as this, especially when it effects the user working with the program. At some point soon, I will be forced to update the system and then have to make a choice if this is not corrected by then. I've been a long time Cubase user (along with many other apps on the market) and still prefer it's workflow and options compare to the competitors, however, tings like this seriously need to be addressed. And I will repeat, this is an issue with Cubase under any Mac OS after Yosemite. So the issue did not always exist. And it's reproducible on most Mac computers, especially the larger the project you're working on. What's worse is that I don't believe Cubase 9 even officially supports Yosemite any longer (which it works much better on). I don't really see how it could have been tested on the latest Mac OSX systems that it claims to support.
What is Steinberg doing. Driving away the Mac users ?
I am forced to use Reaper.

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:21 pm

coolbass1000 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm
km08 wrote:
What is Steinberg doing. Driving away the Mac users ?
I am forced to use Reaper.
I would honestly love an answer to this as well. It is sincerely starting to seem intentional. I mean there seems to be no end in sight with all the GUI issues. Steinberg is asking an awful lot if they are expecting their Mac user base to stick around. They are also asking a lot if they expect us to even believe they are working on the issues at all. I've been experiencing unusable GUI lag literally for years now. There's no good excuse for this.

SuStudio

Post by SuStudio » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm

km08 wrote:
And I will repeat, this is an issue with Cubase under any Mac OS after Yosemite. So the issue did not always exist. And it's reproducible on most Mac computers, especially the larger the project you're working on. What's worse is that I don't believe Cubase 9 even officially supports Yosemite any longer (which it works much better on). I don't really see how it could have been tested on the latest Mac OSX systems that it claims to support.
I can attest the C9 runs fine on Yosemite as I was using it without issue up until 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to Sierra. Not being officially supported just means that Steinberg didn't test C9 on systems running Yosemite but rather the 2 most recent OSX versions. Now, I'm running fine on Sierra without any GUI flaws whatsoever. I sympathize with those having issues but can share that the issue is a priority for Steinberg despite what some on this thread may feel. And, with upgrade season just around the corner, a solution should be imminent.
Cubase 9.0.3 - Wavelab 7.2.1 - Cubasis 2.2 & ICPro
Mac Pro Quad 3.7 Ghz 32GB, OSX 10.12.6
Macbook Pro 2.77 Ghz 8GB, OXS 10.12.6
UA Apollo Twin Duo, G-Tech Raid, Novation SLMKII, True P-Solo, innumerable VSTi & plug-ins.

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 pm

SuStudio wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm
km08 wrote:
And I will repeat, this is an issue with Cubase under any Mac OS after Yosemite. So the issue did not always exist. And it's reproducible on most Mac computers, especially the larger the project you're working on. What's worse is that I don't believe Cubase 9 even officially supports Yosemite any longer (which it works much better on). I don't really see how it could have been tested on the latest Mac OSX systems that it claims to support.
I can attest the C9 runs fine on Yosemite as I was using it without issue up until 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to Sierra. Not being officially supported just means that Steinberg didn't test C9 on systems running Yosemite but rather the 2 most recent OSX versions. Now, I'm running fine on Sierra without any GUI flaws whatsoever. I sympathize with those having issues but can share that the issue is a priority for Steinberg despite what some on this thread may feel. And, with upgrade season just around the corner, a solution should be imminent.
I would absolutely love to see some video of your "flawless GUI" running C9. And as far as "upgrade season" goes, you think it's fair for Cubase users to pay for a fix for issues that have been lingering for years now? I think not. They just released an update that fixed nothing in the GUI dept. for Mac users.

SuStudio

Post by SuStudio » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:57 pm

StudioSanctum wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 pm
I would absolutely love to see some video of your "flawless GUI" running C9. And as far as "upgrade season" goes, you think it's fair for Cubase users to pay for a fix for issues that have been lingering for years now? I think not. They just released an update that fixed nothing in the GUI dept. for Mac users.
To be clear, I'm not gloating or trying to incite a flame war but instead just sharing my experience with C9/Sierra. I've remained current with this post only because I had waited on the sidelines with Yosemite until the issue was resolved before venturing an OSX upgrade. However, by chance, another Steiny issue forced me to upgrade or rollback my system so I installed Sierra (with a patch-over installation which I've never done) and C9 ran the same visually and otherwise. That means no stuttering playback cursor with mouse movements, no delays when copying or dragging parts and no issues with G/H zooming or timeline drag-zooming. Metering is true as are waveform screen draws. Did I miss something? If so, let me know and I'll try it out.
Cubase 9.0.3 - Wavelab 7.2.1 - Cubasis 2.2 & ICPro
Mac Pro Quad 3.7 Ghz 32GB, OSX 10.12.6
Macbook Pro 2.77 Ghz 8GB, OXS 10.12.6
UA Apollo Twin Duo, G-Tech Raid, Novation SLMKII, True P-Solo, innumerable VSTi & plug-ins.

StudioSanctum

Post by StudioSanctum » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:12 am

SuStudio wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:57 pm
StudioSanctum wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 pm
To be clear, I'm not gloating or trying to incite a flame war but instead just sharing my experience with C9/Sierra. I've remained current with this post only because I had waited on the sidelines with Yosemite until the issue was resolved before venturing an OSX upgrade. However, by chance, another Steiny issue forced me to upgrade or rollback my system so I installed Sierra (with a patch-over installation which I've never done) and C9 ran the same visually and otherwise. That means no stuttering playback cursor with mouse movements, no delays when copying or dragging parts and no issues with G/H zooming or timeline drag-zooming. Metering is true as are waveform screen draws. Did I miss something? If so, let me know and I'll try it out.
I'm absolutely not trying to start a war at all. I sincerely would love to see some video of your GUI running smooth in Sierra.

Matthias Quellmann

Re: [CAN-6382]Mac users with GUI/graphics issue.

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi all,

We are constantly working on the improvement of the performance and the stability of our software. Due to the complexity of today's system configurations and the diversity of 3rd party hardware like audio interfaces, displays or graphic cards this task is getting more challenging every day.

Please help us to find out more about your setup in order to improve the performance and stability of Cubase and Nuendo for all of our users.

Start Survey

Thank you for your time!

Cheers from Hamburg,
Matthias
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

Return to “General”