Skinny Scrollbars Stink

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
suntower

Re: Skinny Scrollbars Stink

Post by suntower » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:15 am

Of course, you're right... I misspoke in the heat of upset. But regardless, that 'hand' navigation with the mouse wheel is, for me, awful. If I'm not careful, it often selects another object instead of simply moving changing position. I'm sure I could purchase a mouse with different 'sensitivities' but I don't feel I should have to. The previous standard scrollbars/arrows worked -fine-.

Regards,

---JC
djw wrote:
suntower wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do that. Sincerely.
djw wrote:Exclusive Wu-Tang Kung Fu in action:

But speaking just for meself... 'the hand' is as useless in Cubase as it is in Game Of Thrones.
I didn't have to switch tools. I just held the middle mouse button...
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:36 am

Full size scrolbars are so XP :lol:
I'm probably the only one finding this an improvement, but I'm on a 2560 * 1600 30"

I can Imagine that on a 4k resolution 19" or 24" they are pretty impossible to work with?
Just lower your resolution, or increase your windows DPI setting?
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:40 pm

djw wrote:Exclusive Wu-Tang Kung Fu in action:

Thank you for the feedback/suggestion and making that "Wu-Tang Kung Fu" video. I never have been a fan of using the middle finger (well sometimes I use it... ;) ) as it seems to disrupt my workflow. But, I'm sure it is working for those who like it. I'm going to give it a go again as it seems like this scrol lbar thingy will not get fixed any time soon (if ever).

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

suntower

Missing Left/Right/Up/Down Arrows in Scroll Bars

Post by suntower » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm getting -slightly- off-topic but I've been thinking a LOT as to exactly -why- the ARROWS are so onerous.

MOST of my editing is done while a song is PLAYING. I watch the thing scroll by and as it does I am ALMOST CONSTANTLY listening for edits I want to make. And I find that 'tickling' the scroll bars or the arrows is the fastest and LEAST DISRUPTIVE way to move back and forth without disturbing where my attention.

It's almost like having my fingers on a tape deck shuttle.

HERE'S THE THING: Whereas if I use the mouse wheel or some other technique I risk moving -something- by accident. But with the arrows or the scroll bars, I never risk accidentally selecting another object during playback.

I am sure that the other techniques are FINE when the project is stopped. But during playback? There is NOTHING like using the scroll bar or arrows to shuttle back and forth (or up and down).

The other REALLY ANNOYING thing about the mouse wheel is moving up and down. It always moves up and down one track at a time. I HATE that. I often have tracks open with many lanes and automation. And I want to move up and down in tiny increments; NOT one quantum leap at a time as happens with the mouse wheel. The mouse wheel moves up/down like a rolodex which I -loathe-. With the arrows, I can move 1/8th of a track at a time---which was -great-.

Now I'm sure some other bobkin will come along and say, "Well old guy, don't you know about 'X' technique?" Who cares? Why should I have to learn a new (non-standard) technique? Why re-invent a perfectly good wheel?
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

kyleknapp

Post by kyleknapp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:31 am

suntower wrote: What drives me even worse than the angel-hair scroll bars is the ABSENCE of the down and up (or left and right) arrows at the boundary of each scroll bar. I use those ALL the time as a 'page up' or 'page down' functions with the mouse. But now that these are -gone-, I am -constantly- overshooting the place I want to navigate to. OUTRAGEOUS!
In 8.5 it was not "arrows", per se, but little round nodes, at the ends of the scrollbars, which "bumped" the focus of the project window left or right. I used them ALL THE TIME.

Seriously this is a big deal. I HATED the skinny scrollbars, and, along with many others, said so. So Steinberg responds by not only ignoring our complaint, but punishing us for complaining by making it even LESS usable...

Way to respect your customers, Steinberg.

I'm trying to get used to using Shift-Mousewheel as a workaround, but it (A) requires two hands and (B) requires me to take my eyes off the screen to find the Shift key on the keyboard. I think I could be happy if "+" and "-" could be programmed to serve a similar function (their default function of bumping the cursor left or right has never proved very useful to me).
~kyle

kyle knapp, Omaha NE USA
www.drycreekstudio.com | Cubase 9.5.21 | Windows 7 | Core i5 2400 | 16GB RAM | M-Audio Delta 1010

suntower

Post by suntower » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:18 am

kyleknapp wrote:Seriously this is a big deal. I HATED the skinny scrollbars, and, along with many others, said so. So Steinberg responds by not only ignoring our complaint, but punishing us for complaining by making it even LESS usable...

Way to respect your customers, Steinberg.

I'm trying to get used to using Shift-Mousewheel as a workaround, but it (A) requires two hands and (B) requires me to take my eyes off the screen to find the Shift key on the keyboard. I think I could be happy if "+" and "-" could be programmed to serve a similar function (their default function of bumping the cursor left or right has never proved very useful to me).
I agree 95%. But I use the +/- all the time as 'nudge' buttons. (In fact, I wish they could be EASILY adjusted to 'nudge' by a variable amount--as in video editing programs. ie. you could vary the amount from 1 frame to 1 beat).

But overall... yeah. I've gotten hoarse complaining about this.

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:31 am

Raphie wrote:Full size scrolbars are so XP :lol:
I'm probably the only one finding this an improvement, but I'm on a 2560 * 1600 30"

I can Imagine that on a 4k resolution 19" or 24" they are pretty impossible to work with?
Just lower your resolution, or increase your windows DPI setting?
:roll:

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:36 am

+1 Scrollbars are way too small.
They should be standard as in all the million other programs

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:56 pm

+1

I would like to also propose a function where you hold shift key and can (safely) use the mouse ball to scroll the mixer window vertically and/or horizontally.

Between lack of scroll ball "focus spots" and the tiny scrollbars, nav in the mixer is a PITA these days.
2012 Mac Pro 10.13.6, 24 GB RAM, Nuendo 10.1 UAD-2 Duo

vapro

Post by vapro » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:36 am

+1 YES

McBass

Post by McBass » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:10 am

+1. The GUI of Cubase has progressively gotten worse through the years. Not only are the scrollbars minuscule, the mousewheel scrolling can get messed up depending on what you hover over. Try it in the inspector, try it on the mixer, try it on the insert plugin list, try it....sometimes you scroll, sometimes you inadvertently adjust some random parameter, such as a send level, sometimes nothing seems to happen. The whole hover over to reveal more info is a mess. The general GUI Cubase look is fine IMO but in use it can be a real pain. Please Steinberg, listen to your users and hire a GUI expert. Preferably someone who actually uses DAW software.
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

kyleknapp

Post by kyleknapp » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:32 pm

jpgtr wrote:Between lack of scroll ball "focus spots" and the tiny scrollbars, nav in the mixer is a PITA these days.
I DID get some useful information on this thread:
SteveInChicago wrote:I think few people have realized that the empty space next to the ends of the scroll bars function as did the old arrows. I just figured it out...
and
Prock wrote:Mmm... As I previously mentioned, I just hold down the middle button (scroll wheel) and drag left or right. No need to press ctrl or alt or any other key.
~kyle

kyle knapp, Omaha NE USA
www.drycreekstudio.com | Cubase 9.5.21 | Windows 7 | Core i5 2400 | 16GB RAM | M-Audio Delta 1010

suntower

Post by suntower » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm

kyleknapp wrote:
SteveInChicago wrote:I think few people have realized that the empty space next to the ends of the scroll bars function as did the old arrows. I just figured it out...
and
Prock wrote:Mmm... As I previously mentioned, I just hold down the middle button (scroll wheel) and drag left or right. No need to press ctrl or alt or any other key.
For -me- those are not alternatives. The virtue of normal scrollbars is that you can put your mouse -anywhere- along the timeline and it goes -there-. Those alternatives are for moving from the current position. Totally different thought process. Or rather... they force me to -think- (about navigation)... which I do NOT want to do when I'm trying to concentrate on THE MUSIC.

The scrollbars are 'thoughtless'... your hand just automatically 'goes' to where the music is.

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 pm

suntower wrote:
kyleknapp wrote:
and
For -me- those are not alternatives. The virtue of normal scrollbars is that you can put your mouse -anywhere- along the timeline and it goes -there-. Those alternatives are for moving from the current position. Totally different thought process. Or rather... they force me to -think- (about navigation)... which I do NOT want to do when I'm trying to concentrate on THE MUSIC.

The scrollbars are 'thoughtless'... your hand just automatically 'goes' to where the music is.
I agree... :-)

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:20 am

McBass wrote:the mousewheel scrolling can get messed up depending on what you hover over. Try it in the inspector, try it on the mixer, try it on the insert plugin list, try it....sometimes you scroll, sometimes you inadvertently adjust some random parameter, such as a send level, sometimes nothing seems to happen.
EXACTLY! I rarely ever use scrollbars; I ALWAYS use the mouse scroll ball (or at least, I used to). I would love to be able to scroll horizontally and vertically in the mixer as we can in the arrange window! (As I previously proposed, some sort of modifier key to allow us to "safely" use the mouse ball while hovered anywhere over the mixer.)
2012 Mac Pro 10.13.6, 24 GB RAM, Nuendo 10.1 UAD-2 Duo

aumordia

Post by aumordia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:40 am

Asking for better scroll bars recalls to mind Henry Ford's old quip about "If I had asked people what they wanted, they'd have said faster horses." Scroll bars are pretty crap even when they're good, a relic of a bygone era. If you want big fat scrollbars (and everything else) everywhere, you get Studio One, which is not at all my cup of tea. I find Cubase such a pleasure to work with precisely because its so good at getting all the secondary and tertiary stuff out of the way so I can focus on whats of primary importance -- and things like scrollbars are very much secondary.

Cubase isn't perfect -- what is -- but sometimes I see passionate complaints/requests that make me wonder why Cubase can't be Cubase, and instead needs to be SAWStudio with a dongle.

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

+1

It should be a preference choice.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

McBass

Post by McBass » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:46 pm

It sold be a smart usable GUI, that conforms to some sort of windows standard. Cubase gui is just not done right. Not bad looking but terrible to navigate, click fest. Zero touch support, etc.
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

mozart

Post by mozart » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:36 pm

+1 for bigger scroll bars and the arrows
Music for Film and TV

www.matthewmooremusic.co.uk

madsv

Post by madsv » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 pm

mozart wrote:+1 for bigger scroll bars and the arrows
+1!
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0) Socket LGA1366
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB
Kingston 6 G RAM
ATI XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 pro.
Cubase 10,0.10, Wavelab 10, Sibelius 7.5, Dorico 3.10

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:54 am

Skinny scrollbars do stink. They really do. :lol:

I swear, because of this thread, every time I have to use the scroll bar, I think of that saying. :lol: :lol: :lol:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:36 am

Suntower wrote:
It usually takes 3-4 =years= before a company will fess up to something like this. I dunno if it's stubbornness or not wanting to hurt Dave's feelings or -what-. But SB just isn't known for admitting mistakes.
Well, maybe the fact that they moved this thread into the light of the General forum is a step in right direction. It took a thread just like this one to help kill off the unbelievably miserable "edge pop-ups"....which, mercifully, didn't take 3-4 years to do.
Dual 6 Core 2.66 MacPro/48gbRAM-OSX 10.12.6/C10.0.30 • MOTU 424e/2408mk3 • 2-MIDI Express 128's ••• DualCore 2.8 iMac/4gbRAM-OSX 10.10.5/C9.0.20 • MOTU/ULmk3 ••• D8B/V5.1

Oh.....so this is the Cornfield?....

suntower

Post by suntower » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:46 am

Weasel wrote:Suntower wrote:
It usually takes 3-4 =years= before a company will fess up to something like this. I dunno if it's stubbornness or not wanting to hurt Dave's feelings or -what-. But SB just isn't known for admitting mistakes.
Well, maybe the fact that they moved this thread into the light of the General forum is a step in right direction. It took a thread just like this one to help kill off the unbelievably miserable "edge pop-ups"....which, mercifully, didn't take 3-4 years to do.
One can dream.

But (paraphrasing my old boss) "NEVER underestimate SB's ability to market Kentucky Fried Chicken as 'hot. dead. bird.'"

:D

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:16 am

+1
Nothing more to add...
Instruments: Piano/keys, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocal
Current Sounds: Cactus Juice (@Soundcloud) - Former Sounds: Ask Murt (@MySpace)

Every day's a skool day...

audioguy

Post by audioguy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:27 pm

I don't mind slim scrollbars (I use a trackball) but I wouldn't mind having arrows.

I also wrote to NI about this but was ignored so I don't expect much of a response in this area; it seems the expectation is you will get a big monitor.

Return to “General”