Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
CHARILAOU

Re: Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post by CHARILAOU » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Virtual Guitarist 1, Groove agent 3, Wizoo Darbuka is no way to play with Cubase 9???
Thanks!
CHARILAOU

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:54 pm

its possible using jbridge

CHARILAOU

Post by CHARILAOU » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Is any link to download it??
Thanks!
CHARILAOU

Tim Timmer

Post by Tim Timmer » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Fabio Bartolini wrote:Isn't it ironic, then, that the Sentinel has been developed mostly in order to exclude plug-ins that misbehave due to an OS bug that causes... memory corruption?
:)
To be fair Fabio, I don't think that the two (The OS bug and Protected memory) has anything to do with one another! I compared two methods of preventing a crashing program/plug-in to drag the OS/Host Application with it. One that Apple has tried for over a decade to get to work properly, and failed! One the both Apple and Microsoft has used for about the same length of time, that has worked flawlessly.

I have had several programs crash on me (including Cubase) since Apple introduced Protected Memory in OS X. Never has a crash taken the OS with it. Not a single time. Actually, when Cubase crashes, I need to reboot the cumputer. However, that is not because the OS has become corrupted or crashed, but because of a long-standing bug in Cubase.

As I've said, Steinberg might succeed where Apple has failed for over a decade. There's not much speaking in it's favour so far, though, judging by all the complaints on this forum.

I guess we can all agree that we all would appreciate a rock-solid Cubase. It is my opinion though, that "Protected Memory" is a far better avenue to explore than "Validated Plug-ins", and I am backed by the real world examples.

Tim Timmer

Post by Tim Timmer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:19 pm

The claim is that the plug-in sentinel is supposed to increase Cubase's stability. Well, let's see where this thread takes us, on that subject:
viewtopic.php?f=250&t=108141

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Tim Timmer wrote:The claim is that the plug-in sentinel is supposed to increase Cubase's stability. Well, let's see where this thread takes us, on that subject:
viewtopic.php?f=250&t=108141
Then it fails. As I said Synth one passed the sentinel fine but did not work at all and all plugins that got blacklisted worked great after re-axctivate them...

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Fabio Bartolini wrote:The rest should be the same on both platform - a compliance test.
Fabio,

I (like probably many, many others) have concerns about the number of widely used plug-ins being rejected according to various posts here. Can SB make available a standalone version of Sentinel (freely downloadable, I think it goes without saying)? I'm reluctant to buy into Cubase 9 with such uncertainty outstanding. If I could run a scan prior to paying for a upgrade and find that there are minimal issues, the buy/skip decision would be vastly easier to make.
David Baer

Hardware: Intel I7 4-core hyper-threaded; 8M RAM; Dual hard drives; Roland Quad Capture
DAW: Cubase 7.5 64-bit (and SONAR X2 64-bit)
Synths and effects: More than I care to contemplate, but only the 64-bit stuff ever gets used

polgara

Post by polgara » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:36 am

it`s a useful tool for eliminating culprits of instability maybe , but that should be the users choice .please make it an option if one wants to use the sentinal .this shock update inclusion is too extreme for long time users who use old plugins .
Cubase 9 64 bit plus all the 32 bit SX3 Plugins and beyond. No more bucketverbs Kick the Buckets wheeee! .here`s my bucket list ,oh dam i`ve forgot their names already.

majus33

Post by majus33 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:39 am

yes, newest Play 5.0.0.0a 64Bit - Reactivation works to the next restart :oops:

Dharp wrote:
fgimian wrote:I have two 64-bit plugins that are affected:

Relab's LX480 Complete (pretty much a Lexicon 480L, amazing verb!!!!)
Cableguys ShaperBox (just released)

I've emailed both companies.

Do you guys have any other 64-bit plugins disabled?

Cheers
Fotis
My EastWest Play engine is blacklisted. That seems like a big one.
Cubase 6-9.5 Pro, PC i7 3.7GHz , Win 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM, RME Fireface UC, Studer A807 :-) Sennheiser HD650 on WA3

Arne Scheffler
Steinberg Employee

Post by Arne Scheffler » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:27 am

dmbaer wrote:
Fabio Bartolini wrote:The rest should be the same on both platform - a compliance test.
Fabio,

I (like probably many, many others) have concerns about the number of widely used plug-ins being rejected according to various posts here. Can SB make available a standalone version of Sentinel (freely downloadable, I think it goes without saying)? I'm reluctant to buy into Cubase 9 with such uncertainty outstanding. If I could run a scan prior to paying for a upgrade and find that there are minimal issues, the buy/skip decision would be vastly easier to make.
This tool was made available to all developers back in early August to get prepared for the Cubase 9 release. See https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46, you can use it too if you're not afraid of using the command line.

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Can somebody from Steinberg please answer me and thell me the sense of the sentinel when it passes plugins that don't work in Cubase but blacklists plugins that work with no problem at all ?

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:51 pm

If you add a list of those you refer to (both ways), this appeal would probably make more sense.

Do you want to help making the sentinel work better, or rather want it to disappear?

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:10 pm

If you are talking to me: I did it twice already

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Arne Scheffler wrote: This tool was made available to all developers back in early August to get prepared for the Cubase 9 release. See https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46, you can use it too if you're not afraid of using the command line.
Thank you, Arne. I have downloaded the scanner and will give it a try.
David Baer

Hardware: Intel I7 4-core hyper-threaded; 8M RAM; Dual hard drives; Roland Quad Capture
Synths and effects: More than I care to contemplate, but only the 64-bit stuff ever gets used

alanrsmith2004

Post by alanrsmith2004 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Eastwest VST_Play64 has been Blacklisted by Sentinel!!!!!

Plus my beloved Virtual Guitarist 2 (32 bit) created by Steinberg but obviously unloved by them has also bitten the bullet with Cubase 9!!!!!

It sucks to upgrade!! Maybe I should go with Mac and Logic Pro?

MikeWK

Post by MikeWK » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:41 pm

Got an email back from East-West. Play 5.01 is out now.

But:

I cannot test it, because their download tool does not provide anything
to download the update for an offline installation. :(
It just does not work on my online computer.

---
EDIT: Works. I had to remove the plugin, restarting cubase, then putting
the new play 5.01 back again into the folder and restarting a second time.
Now play is no more blacklisted and works.
Last edited by MikeWK on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW: Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab 9 / Win10-64
HW: i7820X, 32GB RAM, X299 chipset, M2.SSD, SSD, some HDD drives, GTX1050TI 4GB
Audio: RME UFX; Steinberg Midex8 (Win10: YES it works!)
NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Waves 9, Arturia VC5, EW-Ghostwriter, Sonnox Broadcast, Eventide & more

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:39 am

Arne Scheffler wrote:This tool was made available to all developers back in early August to get prepared for the Cubase 9 release. See https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46, you can use it too if you're not afraid of using the command line.
Well, I tried it and the tool seems to work. However, it appears to allow you test one plug-in per command line execution. Sheesh - I've got several hundred plug-ins. There's no way I have time to test each single one with command line invocations.

Really, Steinberg, a batch utility that would test everything in a directory structure in one invocation ought to be something on offer to prospective Cubase 9 buyers. You are asking us to purchase on faith a new version that we may or may not be able to use with our existing collection of FX and synths. Having an assurance ahead of time that most of our plug-ins will not be rejected is really not too much to ask.
David Baer

roofus

Post by roofus » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:35 am

alanrsmith2004 wrote:Eastwest VST_Play64 has been Blacklisted by Sentinel!!!!!

Plus my beloved Virtual Guitarist 2 (32 bit) created by Steinberg but obviously unloved by them has also bitten the bullet with Cubase 9!!!!!

It sucks to upgrade!! Maybe I should go with Mac and Logic Pro?

VG 2 works using jBridge v1.74
Cubase 9 | Slate Digital Everything Bundle | Waves | Sonnox | Mackie Onyx 1640i | M-Audio 2496 | BCF2000 | Kemper Profiler | I7 2600k | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | 2 x WD 10k Drives | Win 7 Professional 64 bit |

dickiedrummer

Post by dickiedrummer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Cakewalk's CA2A levelling amplifier (64 bit) plugin got blacklisted on my install. Anybody else using that plugin had the same result?
Soft: Windows 10 64 bit | Cubase Pro 9 | Wavelab Elements 9 | Halion 6 + HSO + various 3rd party
Hard: Asus P9X79 Mboard | Intel i7 3930k |16gb ram | Radeon HD 6870 | 2*24" monitors
Audio: X32 Producer desk/soundcard | Tannoy DMT2 12" main monitor + M-Audio BX5 nearfield

Godfrey

Post by Godfrey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Arne Scheffler wrote:
dmbaer wrote:
Fabio,

This tool was made available to all developers back in early August to get prepared for the Cubase 9 release. See https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46, you can use it too if you're not afraid of using the command line.
Was this tool made available to Steinberg?

Only I note a considerable number of Steinberg's legacy plugins haven't been made available in 64-bit. To have the gall to suggest that other companies should be sorting out the problems you've generated, when you can't even be bothered to do it yourself, is bewildering.

PLEASE Steinberg, for the love of God, sort this mess out. If you have even the slightest interest in your loyal customers, and avoiding the rankest hypocrisy, you should AT LEAST provide support for your legacy plugs. Why haven't you already? Why wasn't this at the top of your list of must-dos?

polgara

Post by polgara » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:55 pm

well said man .ReverbA ,Doubledelay and the Rotary from SX3 ,i`m missing those like crazy .i don`t even feel like starting a new project in Cubase 9 untill this gets sorted out.
Cubase 9 64 bit plus all the 32 bit SX3 Plugins and beyond. No more bucketverbs Kick the Buckets wheeee! .here`s my bucket list ,oh dam i`ve forgot their names already.

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:59 pm

It's not only Steinberg who has to be addressed, it's for a reason that plugin sentinel exists, it's about bad programmed plugins that ruin your days work!
And Steinberg should not support those old plugins but have updated them in the first place with every version, (maybe they did I don't know for sure).

Ooh yeah and I want a refund for my VG2 now........
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

polgara

Post by polgara » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:37 am

the last two crashes i `ve had has been caused by the the resident drummer ,groove agent.
the old SX3 plugins have always being rock solid for me.even when i switched to 64 bit in cubase 6 and right through to 8.5.

DodgingRain

Post by DodgingRain » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:09 pm

I would be happy if it blacklisted a plug after it caused a crash, not on startup, yes harder to do but the right way to do it. I understand why they blacklisted 32bit considering the drop of support.
We'll see in 8.5 it wont keep changes in plugin manager as cubase crashes on close. Makes it a pain to organize plugs when u have to hack XML files to organize plugs into categories.

Return to “General”