Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Raphie

Re: Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post by Raphie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:08 pm

bburman wrote:I have Cubase 9 on my mac now, and still having problems with bridged VSTs.Even plug-ins as basic as Battery 4...I've downloaded the latest version, yet it still only appears as a bridged VST. Like other VSTs it appears in the JBridge folder under instruments, works fine for a while, and then all at once it crashes Cubase and the whole computer (Mac Pro). It seems there's a host app called auxhost2 that does the crashing, I'm not sure what that is or how to deal with it, can't find any info on it, it must be connected to JBridge somehow. In any case, the Sentinel isn't doing its job of isolating dubious VSTs to the blacklist, and I've received no response to Steinberg support in over a week, same with Native Instruments (who make Battery 4)...it seems they're just abandoning the users upgrades that they haven't thought through. And I know, "Firms have had long enough to upgrade to 64 bit, bla bla bla", but that doesn't explain why Sentinel doesn't sort out the problem VSTs to the blacklist.
Cubase does NOT support 32bit or 32bit bridges.
64bit plugins, either VST2 or VST3 need to be installed in the right folders in order to be scanned and recognized.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X99 - Intel i7 6800k - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Derek Cook

Post by Derek Cook » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Well, I am using 32 bit bridged plugins in Cubase 9 courtesy of JBridge ...... Including Steinberg Virtual Bassist and Virtual Guitarist, so whilst Cubase 9 as no official support for 32 bit any more, the bloody minded of us who still need to run 32 bit plug-ins where there are no 64 bit equivalents, can do.

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Derek Cook wrote:Well, I am using 32 bit bridged plugins in Cubase 9 courtesy of JBridge ...... Including Steinberg Virtual Bassist and Virtual Guitarist, so whilst Cubase 9 as no official support for 32 bit any more, the bloody minded of us who still need to run 32 bit plug-ins where there are no 64 bit equivalents, can do.
Sure, but your on your own there, no support from Steinberg on Jbridge, so anything 32bit you need to be with J.
Anything 64bit is an installation path issue if not blocked by sentinel. There is nothing more to it.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X99 - Intel i7 6800k - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Raphie wrote:
bburman wrote:I have Cubase 9 on my mac now, and still having problems with bridged VSTs.Even plug-ins as basic as Battery 4...I've downloaded the latest version, yet it still only appears as a bridged VST. Like other VSTs it appears in the JBridge folder under instruments, works fine for a while, and then all at once it crashes Cubase and the whole computer (Mac Pro). It seems there's a host app called auxhost2 that does the crashing, I'm not sure what that is or how to deal with it, can't find any info on it, it must be connected to JBridge somehow. In any case, the Sentinel isn't doing its job of isolating dubious VSTs to the blacklist, and I've received no response to Steinberg support in over a week, same with Native Instruments (who make Battery 4)...it seems they're just abandoning the users upgrades that they haven't thought through. And I know, "Firms have had long enough to upgrade to 64 bit, bla bla bla", but that doesn't explain why Sentinel doesn't sort out the problem VSTs to the blacklist.
64bit plugins, either VST2 or VST3 need to be installed in the right folders in order to be scanned and recognized.

Simply not true.
Cubase has no longer its internal bridge but supports j-bridge just fine

djw

Post by djw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:01 pm

folkfreak wrote: Cubase has no longer its internal bridge but supports j-bridge just fine
It may work but it's unsupported. (no guarantees)
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

bburman

Post by bburman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:35 am

The thing is, both MTron Pro and Battery 4 are 32/64 bit plugins. Cubase only recognizes them as 32 bit, probably because their VSTs are not VST 2 or VST 3. Even when I move JBridge to the trash and delete the VST temp folder it creates, Cubase only shows them in a bridged VST folder, not in the regular instrument menu. So even when everyone says, "Only use 64 bit!", I'm doing just that, but Cubase 9 is not seeing them as 64 bit. It seems these firms haven't figured it it's not enough to make a 64 bit VST, it has to be a VST 3 file.

peakae

Post by peakae » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:05 pm

No that's wrong both vst2 and vst3 work as long as they are 64bit.
If you are using a collection in the plugin manager that you made yourself, you may have to add them.
That is if you remembered to set the right path in the plugin manager settings.
Cubase Pro 9.5, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, CMC TP, CMC CH.

djw

Post by djw » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:39 pm

I already told you VST2 can also be 64-bit and VST3 can even be 32-bit.

Reinstall Battery and keep track of where the 64 bit vst2 is installed. Remove the 32 bit version even.
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

bburman

Post by bburman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:14 pm

I've reinstalled Battery 4 about 5 times now. The VST only appears as a VST file, not VST 2 or 3. In that case, I'd say it probably can't work as a 64 bit plugin, even though they claim it is. I've written NI support over a week ago, but they're useless.

djw

Post by djw » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 pm

You're not paying attention or just don't know enough about plugins yet. Try to do some research about how VSTs work.
🥕

bburman

Post by bburman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:27 pm

I have been researching the past 2 weeks. Experience now tells me that only VST 3 files seem to be working with no problems in Cubase 9. The guy from GForce, who makes MTron Pro says it is 64 bit, and I believe him, but it's a VST 2 file (which only has .vst as a suffix, not .vst2). Same with Battery 4. Nothing with a .vst suffix appears to work without crashing Cubase 9.

djw

Post by djw » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Because VST2s have the extension ".dll"
🥕

bburman

Post by bburman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:27 pm

[/quote]
64bit plugins, either VST2 or VST3 need to be installed in the right folders in order to be scanned and recognized.[/quote]

So what is the right path for a vst 2 that is supposed to be 32/64 bit? When I install it, it lands in the Plugins/vst folder, and it has only .vst as a suffix.

bburman

Post by bburman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Anyway, I found the solution today. Thought I’d note it here, in case other users have the same problem.

Jbridge creates a folder with the bridged VSTs called "PluginsBridgedFor(...)" , that’s where Cubase loads them from. The folder is unfortunately hidden, it doesn’t even appear when you use the “Find…” function in Mac. When Cubase sees a bridged version there, it doesn’t look for the 64 bit version available in the same original VST. But here's how to find it:

In Finder, choose Go->"Go to folder...", then type ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
( don't forget the ~ character )
Then search for the folder "PluginsBridgedFor(...)" inside there.
I found the folder, threw away all the bridged VSTs, and afterwards Cubase 9 scanned and found the 64 bit VSTs no problem. So...why do they have have hidden folders?

chris995

Post by chris995 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:07 pm

I actually appreciate the plugin sentinel :) - i was making library music for a client back in 2013 , well over 200 cubase projects. I updated some of my plugs from those projects and could never open those 200 projects again as cubase would always crash, the only was was to open the projects on another computer then go in and diasable each insert then re-open so for that, its cool.

digitalson

Post by digitalson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Jbridge rocks,I've been using it before cb9 cause it runs in different threads than the daw also if a plug crashes it doesn't crash the daw,,,best $spent!!!
i7 ,64gb 1866 mem x79 chipset, ssd os,4 x ssd drives raid 0 motu pci 96 ins and outs @96k for external gear
tons of vintage outboard gear 3 monitors and 42" LCD for spotting to film
Windows 7 pro 64 sp1
Gtx 780 ,all liquid cooled CPU overclocked to 4 ghz

Derek Cook

Post by Derek Cook » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Raphie wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:Well, I am using 32 bit bridged plugins in Cubase 9 courtesy of JBridge ...... Including Steinberg Virtual Bassist and Virtual Guitarist, so whilst Cubase 9 as no official support for 32 bit any more, the bloody minded of us who still need to run 32 bit plug-ins where there are no 64 bit equivalents, can do.
Sure, but your on your own there, no support from Steinberg on Jbridge, so anything 32bit you need to be with J.
Anything 64bit is an installation path issue if not blocked by sentinel. There is nothing more to it.
Fair enough, but I am glad that there is 3rd party support. I still need to run 32 bit plugins include Steinberg Virtual Bassist and Virtual Guitarist, now abandoned by Steinberg. I paid Steinberg good money for these. Why should I not wish to run them for as long as I can?

I only have half a dozen or so 32 bit plugins in this category, but they are all regularly used.

And they are running fine under JBridge - in fact they are running better under JBridge than under Steinberg's bridge that was removed in Cubase 9, so I am "not unhappy" that Steinberg removed it. ;)

priley

Post by priley » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:30 pm

I have been an avid user of Cubase since its inception and indeed have used it in many Educational establishments during the course of my teaching career. I have a huge number of plugins and VST instruments that I have amassed over this time. Many of the original software manufacturers have gone out of business and have not upgrade to 64 bit versions.

No problem - I have used Jbridge for a while and thus am quite happy to run Cubase 8.5.30 64 bit, in which I have access to all the plugins and VSTs that I need. Imagine my horror when I started using Cubase pro 9 only to find that suddenly a whole lot of my plugins were suddenly not showing up.

On going back to 8.5.30 all is still there and working correctly. I am able to load everything I want and the software does not crash.

so why is this not the case with Pro 9? Does anybody know why?

Hedshaker

Post by Hedshaker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:36 pm

priley wrote: On going back to 8.5.30 all is still there and working correctly. I am able to load everything I want and the software does not crash.

so why is this not the case with Pro 9? Does anybody know why?
Jbridge works absolutely fine in Cubase pro 9. I use it with all my PowerCore plug-ins and a few other 32 bit plugs. It works fine.

Maybe you need to adjust your Jbridge settings or folder locations in Cubase 9? Or even start from scratch. I didn't use Jbridge before installing Cubase 9. Also, make sure you have the latest v175 version of Jbridge for Cubase 9.
Asus P9X79 I7 - 4930K @340GHz, 16 GB Ram. Windows 10. EMU 1820m. Cubase Pro 9.##. UAD quad, UAD Solo PowerCore Element with Access Virus. AN1x, Orbit V2, E-MU Proteous 2000, Novation BassStation Rack, Korg ER-1, Dave Smith Mopho. Yamaha NS-10m studio Monitors.

https://soundcloud.com/dark-blue-man

priley

Post by priley » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Hedshaker
I am using v1.75 Jbridge - the recalcitrant plugins appear to be early waves versions and a number of softsynths whose original manufacturers no-longer exist. I have installed the 9.0.20 update but no change. Every single plugin is working in 8.5.30 64 bit which is using jbridge. Doh!

vinark

Post by vinark » Mon May 08, 2017 8:19 am

Yes early waves is an issue. Steinberg doesn't support shelled VSTs in VST2.4 format any more. Only VST3. Maybe shell2vst can help. It creates single plugins from the shell, but it will be some work to set up. I don't use it so you will have to figure that one out. What synths are not working?

mbira

Post by mbira » Fri May 26, 2017 12:52 am

Battery 4 works just fine in Cubase for me. The latest version is VST version 2.4. It is 64 bit. Be sure you are looking in vst instruments and not effects in the plug in manager.
Cubase Pro 9.0.20 | Cubase Elements (because of the damn dongle) | Laptop: Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 G RAM, OS 10.10| Studio computer: 2012 12 core Mac Pro Tower 64 G RAM | Apollo 16 Firewire

IMAWriterRobJ

Post by IMAWriterRobJ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:57 am

Ivory II 2.5 update blacklisted.

phil555

Post by phil555 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:34 pm

I've got RealGuitar4 64bit blacklisted in CE9. :(

skank

Post by skank » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 am

polgara wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:36 am
...should be the users choice .please make it an option if one wants to use the sentinal .this shock update inclusion is too extreme for long time users who use old plugins .
+1
This is not what you think it is./

Return to “General”