Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
polgara

Re: Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post by polgara » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:58 am

Thohi wrote:
jose7822 wrote:This is a smart move by Steinber, IMO.
Actually, no.. It's not.. It's never, ever, ever a "smart move" to tell your users "we are no longer going to let you use the equipment you have".
very true,i find it even more puzzling when the only plugins that continues to be blocked after using jbridge is steinbergs old sx3 plugins . every 32 bit plugin i have no matter how rubbish they are work with jbridge . it realy hacks me off and makes me feel like i`m being dictated to when perfectly good plugins i have used for years are blocked .makes me feel like packing my *flower* up and moving elswhere.
Cubase 9 64 bit plus all the 32 bit SX3 Plugins and beyond. No more bucketverbs Kick the Buckets wheeee! .here`s my bucket list ,oh dam i`ve forgot their names already.

jose7822

Post by jose7822 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Thohi wrote:
Actually, no.. It's not.. It's never, ever, ever a "smart move" to tell your users "we are no longer going to let you use the equipment you have".
It is in this case because bridging 32 bit plugins into a 64 bit environment is not efficient and may cause system instability, especially when speaking of legacy plugins. Software companies have had many, MANY years to transition over to 64 bit. I think it was about time Cubase stopped supporting the 32 bit version. Time to move on people!

:-)
ASUS X99 Deluxe II | Intel Core i7 6800K (OC'ed to 4.0 GHz) | 64GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum (3333 MHz) | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | Corsair H115i Water Cooler | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 Watt PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Cubase Pro 8.5 64 bit | Studio One v3.5 | RME FireFace UCX | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad

Dzilizzi

Post by Dzilizzi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:16 pm

So I got a new computer and loaded Cubase 9 on it. Previously when I loaded it onto my old computer with Cubase 8 installed, I had minimal problems with the blacklist. Now, all but a couple of my Waves plugins have been blacklisted. This may be a Waves issue, but they say all the plugins are 32/64 bit. Yet it blacklisted both, not just the 32 bit. But they do all show as VST2. Not sure if this is the problem.

Before I un-blacklist them, is there something else I should try. Because this is a showstopper for using Cubase for me. I didn't spend a couple thousand on plugins that work on every other platform just to stop using them because Cubase doesn't like them.

Never mind. Updated the Waves and though all the VST2's are blacklisted, the VST3 versions seem to be accepted now.
Last edited by Dzilizzi on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dzilizzi

Post by Dzilizzi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Aha! found my Cubase 8 Installer - I may try to go back.....

beerbong

Post by beerbong » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:41 am

SO far in my experience with this I've found mostly outdated 64 versions got blocked.. That usually led me to look and see if there was a update, install it and so far all worked after that.
I have a few developer I have to get on about not having 64 bit versions but (yes it really happens still).
Besides this, I have 2 previous versions of Cubase installed for compatibility.
BB - Intel Quad/RME/AMD Video, Win10 Home
Cubase 7.5 32 bit / Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:15 am

If you have legal versions of major plugin vendors there is very little stuff that doesn't work with their latest versions.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X99 - Intel i7 6800k - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

polgara

Post by polgara » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:02 pm

sorry, but i couldn`t resist this after all the recent hassle with Mrs Sentinel , THIS THREAD IS DEAD :lol:
Cubase 9 64 bit plus all the 32 bit SX3 Plugins and beyond. No more bucketverbs Kick the Buckets wheeee! .here`s my bucket list ,oh dam i`ve forgot their names already.

Hedshaker

Post by Hedshaker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 am

For years I've been somewhat miffed by the occasional infamous, Cubase "hang-on-exit" issue. which I can now safely declare totally cured, in my case, finally! Which I put down to Sentinel, unless anyone can think of what else it could be. And still able to use my PowerCore 32 but plug-ins, thanks to Jbridge.

Apart from that Cubase boots and closes faster and generally runs smoother all round. I feel bad for the peeps who are unhappy with Sentinel/CB 9 but for me it's been the unexpected star of the show.

:thumbsup:
Asus P9X79 I7 - 4930K @340GHz, 16 GB Ram. Windows 10. EMU 1820m. Cubase Pro 9.##. UAD quad, UAD Solo PowerCore Element with Access Virus. AN1x, Orbit V2, E-MU Proteous 2000, Novation BassStation Rack, Korg ER-1, Dave Smith Mopho. Yamaha NS-10m studio Monitors.

https://soundcloud.com/dark-blue-man

jose7822

Post by jose7822 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 am

Hedshaker wrote:For years I've been somewhat miffed by the occasional infamous, Cubase "hang-on-exit" issue. which I can now safely declare totally cured, in my case, finally! Which I put down to Sentinel, unless anyone can think of what else it could be. And still able to use my PowerCore 32 but plug-ins, thanks to Jbridge.

Apart from that Cubase boots and closes faster and generally runs smoother all round. I feel bad for the peeps who are unhappy with Sentinel/CB 9 but for me it's been the unexpected star of the show.

I don't think Sentinel is responsible for that. Probably the new hot plugin feature in Cubase is what really helped with the constant hangs on exit. I could be wrong though :-)
ASUS X99 Deluxe II | Intel Core i7 6800K (OC'ed to 4.0 GHz) | 64GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum (3333 MHz) | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | Corsair H115i Water Cooler | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 Watt PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Cubase Pro 8.5 64 bit | Studio One v3.5 | RME FireFace UCX | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad

Hedshaker

Post by Hedshaker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:58 am

jose7822 wrote:
Hedshaker wrote:For years I've been somewhat miffed by the occasional infamous, Cubase "hang-on-exit" issue. which I can now safely declare totally cured, in my case, finally! Which I put down to Sentinel, unless anyone can think of what else it could be. And still able to use my PowerCore 32 but plug-ins, thanks to Jbridge.

I don't think Sentinel is responsible for that. Probably the new hot plugin feature in Cubase is what really helped with the constant hangs on exit. I could be wrong though :-)
Possibly a combination of things even, but I rather fancy Sentinel and how it blacklists suspect plug-ins, to be a major player for curing hang-on-exit along with the all round smoother performance I've noticed since installing Cubase 9. Seems logical to me, but like you. I could be wrong.
Asus P9X79 I7 - 4930K @340GHz, 16 GB Ram. Windows 10. EMU 1820m. Cubase Pro 9.##. UAD quad, UAD Solo PowerCore Element with Access Virus. AN1x, Orbit V2, E-MU Proteous 2000, Novation BassStation Rack, Korg ER-1, Dave Smith Mopho. Yamaha NS-10m studio Monitors.

Derek Cook

Post by Derek Cook » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:46 pm

jose7822 wrote:
Thohi wrote:
It is in this case because bridging 32 bit plugins into a 64 bit environment is not efficient and may cause system instability, especially when speaking of legacy plugins. Software companies have had many, MANY years to transition over to 64 bit. I think it was about time Cubase stopped supporting the 32 bit version. Time to move on people!

:-)
Hi,

One comment I will make about this "time to move on" statement is what about perfectly good 32 plugins which are no longer in development, and which I still wish to use?

One of my favourite plugins is a free Moog Taurus plug in. It is no longer developed, not even sure what happened to the developer as whilst the website is still up, he did not respond to me making a paypal donation in 2010 to remove the "nag screen" (so he got the donation, but I still have the nag screen :( ). The plugin has worked perfectly in Cubases 8.5 (and previous versions). Works fine via JBridge, so why should I not wish to continue using it - esp when it sounds so good?

The same is true for two Steinberg plugins: Virtual Guitarist and Virtual Bassist, which are 32 bit only. I paid good money for those and now in Cubase 9 I can not use them. Perhaps Steinberg should refund me after taking away the ability to run their software that I paid for? But JBridge came to the rescue again. They are working perfectly (in fact probably better than under Steinberg's built in bridge in Cubase 8.5).

You can also take your argument to a logical conclusion that it is maybe time that people stopped using 45 year old Minimoogs, as "it is time to move on" ;)

So, please, spare a thought for those of us who still have a desire/need to run "vintage 32 bit" plugins :)

djw

Post by djw » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Derek Cook wrote:But JBridge came to the rescue again. They are working perfectly (in fact probably better than under Steinberg's built in bridge in Cubase 8.5).
So what is the problem then?
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

jose7822

Post by jose7822 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:39 am

djw wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:But JBridge came to the rescue again. They are working perfectly (in fact probably better than under Steinberg's built in bridge in Cubase 8.5).
Exactly!

Derek Cook

Post by Derek Cook » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:29 am

jose7822 wrote:
djw wrote:
Exactly!
No problem, here: I was responding to the comment that it is time to move on to offer a different perspective. :)

mbr

Post by mbr » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:10 pm

EricM wrote:DSarp: you can reactivate the East West Play 5.0.0 Plugin in the Plugin Manager. East West will release very soon an update for Play 5.0.0 that will pass the Scanner without problems.
Thank you
Cubase 9.5 Recordings done @ 96 kHz / 64 Bit )

Win 7 64-bit SP1 ; i7 Intel @3.50 Hz ; 32 Gigs RAM
256 GB SSD OS ; 1 TB SSD for Recording ; 1 TB SSD for Sample Streaming

Soundcard - O1V96i
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.11 Firmware V1.02 Editor V1.0

UAD-2 (OCTO) ; CMC ( FD, CH, PD, TP, AI & QC )
Many hardware synths and sample libraries ; Millennia ; Midisport 8/8 ; BIG BEN Apogee

Forum member (old forums) since 2003

"The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong"

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:07 pm

suntower wrote:1. IMO, there needs to be a way to turn 'Sentinel' OFF--like ASIO Guard. At least until you guys have more real-world feedback. Disabling 32 bit support is too huge a leap with no prior warning.

2. Said it before, say it again: you guys need to COMMUNICATE. A big change like this should have been communicated to users MANY MONTHS ahead of time. I'm sure there would've been yelling, but so what? At least users like me would've had -time- to prepare!

My work is constantly re-using material from many years ago. So almost the biggest thing -I- need is backward compatibility--or at least a way to migrate older work to the newer versions without too much pain.

With no prior warning, I feel stuck... I like the new features of C9, but the unexpected cost of losing a TON of plugs is a real gut punch.

my friend,
Sorry to say but it is useless that we try to reason with them.. they don't give a S@#hit ... I do have some plugs in 32bit that I can't just get rid of over night.. but who cares? 'cause they surely don't.. Support for this software is nearly zero. You just hav eto be lucky not to be in need of support..
My new washing machine: Asus Z97-K, intel I5, 3.2Ghz, 16Gb Ram Kingston,

My washing machine was working great : Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Ram Mem 6Gb, 64bit, UAD Nevana 32

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:09 pm

djw wrote:

DOES the Jbridge work in Cubase 9 ????
My new washing machine: Asus Z97-K, intel I5, 3.2Ghz, 16Gb Ram Kingston,

My washing machine was working great : Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Ram Mem 6Gb, 64bit, UAD Nevana 32

polgara

Post by polgara » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Crossroads wrote:
djw wrote:

to get your 32bit plugs working see here
viewtopic.php?f=250&t=110330#p605381

Hedshaker

Post by Hedshaker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:49 am

Crossroads wrote:
djw wrote:

It does, but not with ancient Cubase native 32 bit plug-ins cause they are coded for Cubase only. Also, be sure to get the latest Jbridge update ve 175 I think, otherwise you have to piddle about running Cubase as administrator.

Other than that Jbridge works well.

hopselectroniks

Post by hopselectroniks » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 am

turned my liquid mix into an expensive door stop ..

and all my TC dsp plugs
Macbook pro (os 10.11) cubase 8.5, AL 9.5 , TCE k48 , Waldorf Blofeld, Korg microkontrol, Emu e6400 , DSI Mopho,

Godfrey

Post by Godfrey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:01 am

Any word from Steinberg yet ok whether they are going to provide 64-bit support for their legacy native 32-bit plugs?

Or are they still continuing to practise the rankest and most dismal hypocrisy?

komanderk

Post by komanderk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:49 pm

hi ppl.
there is riped out sx plugins . i got them. worx petfect with jbridge.
and my beloved vb and quadrafuzz too. no problem.

djw

Post by djw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Yeah, there's still some leeway to get things working, but there won't be an official (supported) solution from Steinberg.
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

dreibel53

Post by dreibel53 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 am

annoyed wrote:Has anyone tried "32 lives" with Cubase 9 yet? Might be a good workaround to get a few essential 32 bit plugins to run.

https://www.soundradix.com/products/32-lives/
I got ahold of 32 Lives not long after I upgraded to Cubase 9 - and am happy to report that it works very well with 9. In fact, it revived a few synths that didn't work with jBridgeM. Including KikAxxe, which hasn't been upgraded in a long time and has no 64-bit version.

There's a time-limited demo of 32 Lives available from their web site, so you can certainly try it out with your setup before committing. You can also get a discount on the program via the Don't Crac[k] website if you sign up to their forum:
http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info ... ts_id=1462

bburman

Post by bburman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 pm

I have Cubase 9 on my mac now, and still having problems with bridged VSTs.Even plug-ins as basic as Battery 4...I've downloaded the latest version, yet it still only appears as a bridged VST. Like other VSTs it appears in the JBridge folder under instruments, works fine for a while, and then all at once it crashes Cubase and the whole computer (Mac Pro). It seems there's a host app called auxhost2 that does the crashing, I'm not sure what that is or how to deal with it, can't find any info on it, it must be connected to JBridge somehow. In any case, the Sentinel isn't doing its job of isolating dubious VSTs to the blacklist, and I've received no response to Steinberg support in over a week, same with Native Instruments (who make Battery 4)...it seems they're just abandoning the users upgrades that they haven't thought through. And I know, "Firms have had long enough to upgrade to 64 bit, bla bla bla", but that doesn't explain why Sentinel doesn't sort out the problem VSTs to the blacklist.

Return to “General”