Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
fgimian

Re: Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Post by fgimian » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:14 pm

I would love to see this made much more strict. Right now, it still allows through plugins that crash upon instantiation (e.g. ArtsAcoustic CL Series or BigRock) which are a huge cause of instability.
Software & Audio Interface: Cubase 9.0.1 x64 / OS X El Capitan / Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2015 i7 2.6 GHz 16 GB RAM 512 GB PCIe SSD

beerbong

Post by beerbong » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:17 am

It seems to me that a lot of folks here think that just because some VST's are 32 bit, or old, has anything to do with whether they have "bad programming" or 'unstable'.

cheers
BB - Intel Quad/RME/AMD Video, Win10 Home
Cubase 7.5 32 bit / Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9

JClosed

Post by JClosed » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:02 am

beerbong wrote:It seems to me that a lot of folks here think that just because some VST's are 32 bit, or old, has anything to do with whether they have "bad programming" or 'unstable'.

cheers
Well - the problem is that those older plug-ins are compiled against older library's and on an older Operating System. Programs (and thus plug-ins also) can be working great on Windows XP for example, but crashing on Windows 10. Especially older programs/plug-ins have a high risk of being unstable, simply because there where many, many updates on Windows/OSX since the time they where developed. And let's be fair - We all know that windows/OSX updates have broken many programs. That is the reason some company's still have older Windows installs running (yes - I know about old isolated Windows 98 computers that are still running to steer older very specialized and expensive hardware that won't run on newer Window versions).

Most of that older software that is not longer updated, is indeed 32 bits. It's not that 32 bit in itself is unstable, but most 32 bit software is dated, and (as explained above) very likely to be unstable.

sound4site

Post by sound4site » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:03 pm

polgara wrote:it`s a useful tool for eliminating culprits of instability maybe , but that should be the users choice .please make it an option if one wants to use the sentinal .this shock update inclusion is too extreme for long time users who use old plugins .

This!

beerbong

Post by beerbong » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:08 pm

JClosed wrote:
beerbong wrote:It seems to me that a lot of folks here think that just because some VST's are 32 bit, or old, has anything to do with whether they have "bad programming" or 'unstable'.

cheers
Well - the problem is that those older plug-ins are compiled against older library's and on an older Operating System. Programs (and thus plug-ins also) can be working great on Windows XP for example, but crashing on Windows 10. Especially older programs/plug-ins have a high risk of being unstable, simply because there where many, many updates on Windows/OSX since the time they where developed. And let's be fair - We all know that windows/OSX updates have broken many programs. That is the reason some company's still have older Windows installs running (yes - I know about old isolated Windows 98 computers that are still running to steer older very specialized and expensive hardware that won't run on newer Window versions).

Most of that older software that is not longer updated, is indeed 32 bits. It's not that 32 bit in itself is unstable, but most 32 bit software is dated, and (as explained above) very likely to be unstable.
There are many, many, though which are plugins fully self contained within the .dll file itself, no other out-of-the-ordinary windows components. There seems to be a few types of plugins which clearly used different methodologies to install and/or employ any variety of software protection. I can fully expect some of those to no longer be compatible on new OS versions(even though most OS's claim to be backward compatible).
I have some plugins in my folder, which up until now, would just 'work' in fact after a fresh Windows install simply by copy/paste my old vstfolder back to where it was.
BB - Intel Quad/RME/AMD Video, Win10 Home
Cubase 7.5 32 bit / Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9

polgara

Post by polgara » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:38 pm

so how i see it is, jbridge will more or less load every single 32bit plugin in existence apart from the old SX3 or Legacy plugins into cubase nein .this is a vendetta against the legacy plugins .i`m still searching for a reverb as good as ReverbA and cubase nein aint giving me one .all i`m hearing is bucket reverbs, kick the buckets,give us the Legacy plugs back. today.i may be banned but i will be back, but not sounding like a bucket
Cubase 9 64 bit plus all the 32 bit SX3 Plugins and beyond. No more bucketverbs Kick the Buckets wheeee! .here`s my bucket list ,oh dam i`ve forgot their names already.

doofusmusic

Post by doofusmusic » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:54 pm

ricksankey wrote:i just tried to re activate ozone 5 ...it failed....how could that be....????
I contacted Izotope support to find out if they were working on a solution to the Plugin Sentinel blacklisting of Izotope plugins. They responded that they are working on the problem with Steinberg but none of their plugins seem to work with Cubase 9 even if re-activated at the owner's risk ... so I'm sticking with Cubase 8.5 for the most part until they get that resolved.

djw

Post by djw » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:09 pm

doofusmusic wrote:
ricksankey wrote:i just tried to re activate ozone 5 ...it failed....how could that be....????
I contacted Izotope support to find out if they were working on a solution to the Plugin Sentinel blacklisting of Izotope plugins. They responded that they are working on the problem with Steinberg but none of their plugins seem to work with Cubase 9 even if re-activated at the owner's risk ... so I'm sticking with Cubase 8.5 for the most part until they get that resolved.
iZotope's plugins like Trash 2 work fine. Just the non-plugin dll's are rightfully excluded by the Sentinel.
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

mbourque

Post by mbourque » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:59 am

I have almost every iZotope plug-ins, no one has been blacklisted. I always use VST3 versions and everything works fine. Same thing for Play. I can't figure why some plugs are blacklisted on some systems and not on others..
Matthieu Bourque
Cubase 9.0.1 Live Suite 9.7, Pro Tools HD 12.6.1
Mac OSX 10.12
Custom build
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU: Intel i7 6700K
RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32 Gb
RME Fireface UFX

http://kaikuaudio.com
http://audiojungle.net/user/Kaiku/portfolio?ref=Kaiku

mitchiemasha

Post by mitchiemasha » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 am

doofusmusic wrote:but none of their plugins seem to work with Cubase 9 even if re-activated at the owner's risk ... so I'm sticking with Cubase 8.5 for the most part until they get that resolved.
I Have Music Production bundle 1 and 2... Although the iZ dll were blacklisted, my izotope plugins work.
AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.75GHz (OC). Obsidian 6Gb Ram (2 died). Geforce 8600GT. 2x500 Sata 3 HD Raid 0. Carillon Case.
Cubase Pro 9.5. Virus TI (Integrated!) Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped), Novation Stations, Nord Rack 2, JV1080.
2x Presonus Firestudio. Dynaudio BM5's mkII & Eve SC305's.

Whaledog

Post by Whaledog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:11 pm

So whats true? I use Ozone 7 and Neutron quite a bit in 64bit in Pro 8.5. Do they work or dont they. Dont want to upgrade if these fails.
Whaledog

jaslan

Post by jaslan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:53 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Although the iZ dll were blacklisted, my izotope plugins work.
I imagine many blacklisted plugins will work... Until they don't...
Cubase Pro 9.0.30. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 3.6.5. and Jamstix 4.0. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:29 am

polgara wrote:so how i see it is, jbridge will more or less load every single 32bit plugin in existence apart from the old SX3 or Legacy plugins into cubase nein .this is a vendetta against the legacy plugins .i`m still searching for a reverb as good as ReverbA and cubase nein aint giving me one .all i`m hearing is bucket reverbs, kick the buckets,give us the Legacy plugs back. today.i may be banned but i will be back, but not sounding like a bucket
I'm surprised you love ReverbA, it was one of the worst reverbs I have ever heard, haha. There are dozens of reverbs at a significantly higher tier than ReverbA, the ValhallaDSP stuff would be a cheap step up. Relay's LX480 is the best of the best for my taste but it comes at a nice price too, hehe :)
Software & Audio Interface: Cubase 9.0.1 x64 / OS X El Capitan / Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2015 i7 2.6 GHz 16 GB RAM 512 GB PCIe SSD

polgara

Post by polgara » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:17 pm

thanks for your opinions but i am on a pc and still lovin ReverbA :D
Cubase 9 64 bit plus all the 32 bit SX3 Plugins and beyond. No more bucketverbs Kick the Buckets wheeee! .here`s my bucket list ,oh dam i`ve forgot their names already.

jose7822

Post by jose7822 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:56 pm

For those using EWQL Play, a new update is available that resolved the C9 Sentinel blacklisting of it (plus a couple of other added bonuses and bug fixes).

HTH
ASUS X99 Deluxe II | Intel Core i7 6800K (OC'ed to 4.0 GHz) | 64GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum (3333 MHz) | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | Corsair H115i Water Cooler | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 Watt PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Cubase Pro 8.5 64 bit | Studio One v3.5 | RME FireFace UCX | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad

hopselectroniks

Post by hopselectroniks » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:13 pm

gotta love it when cubase 9's internal plugin gets blacklisted

applications/cubase9.app/contents/vstpliugins/surround/mixconvertor_controlroom.vst its a 32 bit plugin included in the cubase 9 .app lol

my reaktor6efx.vst gets blacklisted reaktor 6 does not

all my dcam 64bit plugs are gone

cableguys shaperbox is but not their standalone plug ins
Macbook pro (os 10.11) cubase 8.5, AL 9.5 , TCE k48 , Waldorf Blofeld, Korg microkontrol, Emu e6400 , DSI Mopho,

djw

Post by djw » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:35 pm

hopselectroniks, I think this is because you're using Mac OS 10.11

Read about it here: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... r-Cubase-9
("Our developers found a problem in OS X")
🥕
Specs: Latest versions of Cubase Pro, Dorico, WaveLab Pro, Windows 10, AMD Phenom II 1100T, 8GB RAM, AMD R9 390, YS CI1

hopselectroniks

Post by hopselectroniks » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:55 am

yeah pain dont really want to go to sierra ...

3 hrs later 6 reinstallations 3 licence center re installations later i think it might work now.. worst upgrade experience ive ever had .. now i have to go to sierra to use brand new plugs? what can of worms is that gonna open up???? awesome hopefully i get to use it this year?
Macbook pro (os 10.11) cubase 8.5, AL 9.5 , TCE k48 , Waldorf Blofeld, Korg microkontrol, Emu e6400 , DSI Mopho,

pseriksen

Post by pseriksen » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:38 am

The biggest major reason why I don't wanna upgrade to 9 is the SQ8L vst plugin that the developer stopped developing. Its free and still beta and emulates the Ensoniq SQ80. Upgrading means I have to drop this which is one of the syhnth I have used most last year and really love.

annoyed

Post by annoyed » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Has anyone tried "32 lives" with Cubase 9 yet? Might be a good workaround to get a few essential 32 bit plugins to run.

https://www.soundradix.com/products/32-lives/
Mac OS El Capitan - Cubase Pro 9 - RME Babyface

polgara

Post by polgara » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:28 pm

i`d be interested to know if 32 Lives loads the old SX3 plugins in to C9 even though this is only for a mac.

Yo Stro

Post by Yo Stro » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:10 am

My MPC plugin was blacklisted. It's vst 2.4 64 bit plugin so it was a big shocker to find it blacklisted. I reactivated it and all was well for awhile but, lately I've been experiencing some crashes when try to insert plugins into Cubase's insert slots. I get the spinning beachball and C9 freezes and I have to eventually force quit. I rebooted the computer, reopened the same project, saved it using a different name, closed it, reopened it and the same thing happens. However, when I open the same two projects (the first saved and then renamed) in C8.5 everything is fine. After I resaved them in C8.5 and reopened in C9 the crashing problem no longer existed for that session. Weird stuff. I don't understand if this is due to my reactivation of the MPC plugin or if there is something else going on. This particular project does not have the MPC plugin being used. Does anyone else have the MPC blacklisted??
OS 10.12.6 Cubase Pro 9.0.30
Mac Pro (late 2013), 3.5GHz Core Intel xeon E5, 32 GB ,AMD Firepro D500 3072 MB,1TB SSD
RME fireface 400/UA Apollo twin duo/UAD-2 Satellite Octo

visoundguy

Post by visoundguy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Quietly wrote:Izotope Ozone 5 picked up and running perfectly on 9 here.
Cubase 9 blacklisted Izotope Ozone 5 right away - cannot get it relisted. Even tried reinstalling Ozone 5. Not sure why yours would be different - are you Mac? I'm on a PC.

Also, I've been trying to get Cubase to send me a download link for 8.5 for days and I am not hearing from them. Frustrated!

Quietly

Post by Quietly » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Izotope Ozone 5 is working perfectly for me. I suggest reinstall over the top of your existing version they recommend doing this to set pre-sets back to original so no harm. I'll post a screen shot of mine shortly.

The only thing that's blacklisted is the Ozone VST2

https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Cubase Pro 9.5. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz 4GB RAM. ASUS Radeon R7-259 Graphics Card , Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Komplete Kontrol S61 and HS80M Monitors. Komplete 10 Ultimate, Symphobia, Ozone 5 etc

Thohi

Post by Thohi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:06 pm

jose7822 wrote:This is a smart move by Steinber, IMO.
Actually, no.. It's not.. It's never, ever, ever a "smart move" to tell your users "we are no longer going to let you use the equipment you have".

Return to “General”