A way to hide a bunch of notes without loosing sound

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
prko

A way to hide a bunch of notes without loosing sound

Post by prko »

Dear advanced users,

Is there a way to hide a bunch of notes without loosing sound?

For example, I want to use a sound of hitting the frame of bass drum (so called "on the rim"), but I do not have the sound in my instrument library.
So I would like to use the sound of snare drum with "snare off" option.
To do it, I should do the followings:

1. I need to notate the same rhythms on the both staves.
2. The notes on the bass drum staff should be muted
3. The notes on the snare drum should be hidden.

I could hide the noteheads by adjusting the "Opacity", and could hide stems and beams by checking "Hide stem".
However, I could not find how to hide the dots.

Is there a way to do it?'

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by prko on Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- MBP (15" 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32GB)
- Dorico Pro 3.5.1 (mainly macOS 10.15.6, but Windows 10 as well)
- Dorico (mac, 2018-), Finale (mac & win,1993-), Sibelius (mac & win, 2002-, occasionally)
- PhotoScore Ultimate, AudioScore Ultimate
- Cycling 74 Max, SuperCollider, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Adobe CC, ProTools HD, Nuendo, Cubase 10.5
- KOMPLETE 12 ULTIMATE, NotePerformer 3, Waves Mercury, GRM Tools Completes
- RME FireFace800, MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid, KOMPLETE KONTROL S88
- ADAM S3X-V (2), GENELEC 8040B (6), GENELEC 7060 (1)

pianoleo
Grand Master

Re: A way to hide a bunch of notes without loosing sound

Post by pianoleo »

It might be easier to add a separate snare stave, then use Staff Visibility (from a System or Frame Break) to hide that entire stave.
If these instruments are in a kit, showing as a single five line stave, it may be easier to add another snare instrument on the bass drum space/line.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

Leo, do expression maps allow for changing the sound slot (MIDI channel) on, say, the HALion player? I admit I have not done much work in this area yet. If so, that might be an alternative to the kit idea (which occurred to me too) if prko were using a single-line staff.
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

I’m afraid Expression Maps (and Percussion Maps) are my blind spot. To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your question is “no”, but my knowledge is limited here.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

prko

Post by prko »

Thank you for your suggestions!

I could find "Staff Visibility" from the staff by clicking a staff with right mouse button. I think, I cannot hide the snare drum inside a Percussion player, but I can hide a player. Am I right?

I also have tried to use "Expression map". Usually I use NotePerformer, and I should change it shortly to Kontakt through "Playing techniques", but I could not find how to change the VST instrument by using "Expression Maps". Is there a way to do it?
- Dorico (mac, 2018-), Finale (mac & win,1993-), Sibelius (mac & win, 2002-, occasionally)
- Cycling 74 Max, SuperCollider, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Adobe CC, ProTools HD, Nuendo, Cubase 10.5

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

For pitched instruments you can make Dorico switch to a different VST instrument by using independent voice playback in Play mode, and using a separate voice for the passages you want to be played by a different instrument. This won't work for percussion instruments in a kit, however, because you can't create arbitrary voices in percussion kits.

prko

Post by prko »

Thank you very much!
Have a nice Sunday!

FredGUnn

Post by FredGUnn »

Derrek wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:52 pm
Leo, do expression maps allow for changing the sound slot (MIDI channel) on, say, the HALion player? I admit I have not done much work in this area yet. If so, that might be an alternative to the kit idea (which occurred to me too) if prko were using a single-line staff.
Yes! I'm not well versed in this either, but I've done it. Let's say I have an Alto Sax doubling on Flute. I will set up my VST player (or HALion) to have a flute sound in the channel after the alto, then I create a Playing Technique called "Flute." In my Expression Map that this player is using, I can add a switch to the "Flute" Playing Technique to either an absolute or relative channel change action to change the channel. If I have 2 players with this doubling I can use relative, but absolute obviously will work. If a player doubles on Alto, Flute, and Picc then I can't really use relative, but have to use absolute. It does work though!

(BTW, this was part of an experiment to try to figure out how to have Dorico display an instrument change at the entry, rather than at the “to” as it usually does when adding an instrument to a player.)
Dorico Pro 3.5.1, Finale v26, HALion 6, The Grand 3, GPO, JABB, World Instruments, CFX Concert Grand, NotePerformer, BBCSO Core
Windows 10 - Desktop: i9-9900K, 64GB, UA Apollo Twin MKII QUAD - Laptop: Razer Blade Stealth, i7-7500U, 16GB, UA Apollo Solo

Return to “Dorico”