Music help: Persian scale custom key notation

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
RedtideMusic

Music help: Persian scale custom key notation

Post by RedtideMusic »

How would you notate a piece in say the Persian scale? Using the Wikipedia entry the scale in C is

Would you simply create a new Tonality system for Persian, define this for C? What order would you best put the accidentals?
"Dorico is not only a writing partner, but also a composition partner." Paolo

Dorico 3.5, Cubase 11, clarinet (Bb, A & Eb Buffet), piano (Walter 6'5) and a bunch of Moog (Semi modular line)

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Re: Music help: Persian scale custom key notation

Post by dankreider »

Just use atonal, no key signature, and set accidentals to display as desired within measures.
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com
Dorico training: dankreider.com/dorico
Dorico 3.5.11, Windows 10

RedtideMusic

Post by RedtideMusic »

dankreider wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:41 am
Just use atonal, no key signature, and set accidentals to display as desired within measures.
Perfect Dan - thanks much that did it. Sometimes it decides to use the wrong accidental (e.g. c# in a flat world) but I think I fixed that by moving the note manually and setting the flat accidental, unless there's a quicker way.

Another thing is this weirdness
AccidentalAccident.png
(9.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
(is there a way to display this inline?)

Technically this is correct but unnecessary, but it is a bit of a player aid. Not sure what to think about it.
"Dorico is not only a writing partner, but also a composition partner." Paolo

Dorico 3.5, Cubase 11, clarinet (Bb, A & Eb Buffet), piano (Walter 6'5) and a bunch of Moog (Semi modular line)

FredGUnn

Post by FredGUnn »

You can create Key Commands for "Respell Using Note Name Above" and "Respell Using Note Name Below." (I can't remember if they exist by default already or if I created mine.) Some sort of "Favor Sharps" or "Favor Flats" spelling setting has been requested but currently doesn't exist. You can modify the settings for cautionary accidentals in Notation Options/Accidentals/Cautionary Accidentals.
Dorico Pro 3.5.1, Finale v26, HALion 6, GPO, JABB, World Instruments, CFX Concert Grand, NotePerformer, BBCSO Core
Windows 10 - Desktop: i9-9900K, 64GB, UA Apollo Twin MKII QUAD - Laptop: Razer Blade Stealth, i7-7500U, 16GB, UA Apollo Solo

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

If you have pro you can also create a custom tonality system with a new key signature if desired.

Screenshot below and here's the link to the manual on how to do it: https://www.steinberg.help/dorico/v1/en ... Csignature
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 8.44.25 AM.png
(210.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, 3m Organ Console

Return to “Dorico”