Hi everyone, very interesting discussion here (but I am sorry I didn't get the time to read in details all the post). This post I hope will add up some content to the community.
I think Dorico is superior in terms of efficiency, that is the time spent vs. the audio quality of the mockup. I used to use Cubase and then LogicPro and this has been always a headache in terms of productivity for those who write music instead of playing it / recording it live. So the followings does not apply to such "live" workflow. It you are writing music on a Daw (vs on Dorico) :
1. you need to "humanize" each entry (automated in Dorico)
2. you struggle with articulation to decide over which sample to use for a particular duration (automated with the Dorico expression maps)
3. you need to jump from one track to another one to balance the overall dynamic and cresc. / descresc.of each tracks without a clear overall view (Shift+D and all dynamic / hairpins are setup at once with Dorico)
4. you spent time playing with the CCs and drawing in most of the case linear segments moving up and down to articulate your phrase (and the hairpins of Dorico do the job perfectly - you can tweak a little the CCs in Dorico for micro-dymamics & vibrato adjustment especially for some long notes of the phrase)
5. you struggle to enter glissando, tuplets, grace notes, etc. (this is automated in Dorico)
So Dorico is automating all the tedious works required by Daws. The only requirement is first to spend a significant amount of time programming your playback templates and expression maps (it took me about 10 hours for a full symphonic orchestra with Spitfire audio orchestral libraries).
And to be frank, at the en,d I am 10 times more productive on Dorico for a similar audio rendering at the end. And really I want to write music not spend hours programming a DAW. Check this example of a composition #madewithdorico in few hours: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGYIofjq0w5 ... _copy_link
The only improvements I can see are three folds :
1. There is only one send effect channel for the Reverb (so no secondary Reverbs not delay)
2. Copy and paste notes does not paste CCs tweaks
3. It is not possible to add audio sample
A good mockup is 1) good samples libraries 2) good reverb 3) smart use of articulations 4) proper dynamic articulation of the phrase 5) tweak of dynamic & vibrato of long notes