Quarter-tone accidentals

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
spin

Quarter-tone accidentals

Post by spin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:47 pm

Is there an easy way to use quarter-tone accidentals that are not arrow-based? I don't like this arrow notation as I think it induces performers in error: it kind of conveys the idea of playing slightly above of below a pitch. Quarter-tones are tempered pitches, concisely defined, which call for playing techniques described in instrument treatises. I really think Dorico should feature the standard notation for quarter-tones, which I believe is not the arrow notation.

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Re: Quarter-tone accidentals

Post by pianoleo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Bravura contains a vast number of accidental glyphs. The onus is on you to create or modify a tonality system that uses the glyphs you want to use. Gould goes as far as to say that "No pitches other than the twelve chromatic degrees of the octave have standard notation", so perhaps consider the existing 24-EDO tonality system as an example of what's possible.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

spin

Re: Quarter-tone accidentals

Post by spin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Thanks, pianoleo. Have just sorted this out on my own. I built a new tonality system (24-EDO) with the Stein-Zimmermann notation system... Anyway, this could have come as a preset to choose from.

Return to “Dorico”