Set up question/thoughts

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Simon Elphick

Set up question/thoughts

Post by Simon Elphick » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:25 pm

The orchestra that I write for has a house style that generally incorporates 1st and 2nd instruments into one stave.

What are your thoughts on the best/correct way to do this in Dorico. Which kind of player/ensemble in setup?

I'm aware of the "condensing" function and that I could write all parts to independent players, and then create the conductors score, but I prefer in general to deal with less staves in the orchestrating process ( 4 woodwind as opposed to 8 takes up a lot less screen space!) Perhaps it's time to change this? I suppose I'm really wanting the opposite of the "Condense" feature – write 2 to a stave and then explode out.

More experienced users thoughts very welcome.

Best wishes,
Simon Elphick
Amateur arranger & orchestrator

Dorico Pro 3
iMac Intel i5 2.7GHz 12GB OS X Version 10.13.6

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Re: Set up question/thoughts

Post by dankreider » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi Simon,

I would love this as well. In the meantime, the existing Paste Special—Explode function works pretty well. Still some checking required, but it’s quite predictable.
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com
Dorico 3, Windows 10

Simon Elphick

Post by Simon Elphick » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks – I'll check that out in due course.

Practically, does it make any difference whether the setup uses "section" players or "solo" players for woodwind/brass etc?
Simon Elphick
Amateur arranger & orchestrator

Dorico Pro 3
iMac Intel i5 2.7GHz 12GB OS X Version 10.13.6

Lillie Harris
Steinberg Employee

Post by Lillie Harris » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Depends on what you want them to do - section players can divide using the divisi feature, solo players can condense and can have extra staves added to them. Solo players can also hold multiple instruments, e.g. Flute and Piccolo

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:28 pm

A section player vs. solo player also loads a solo or an ensemble patch for many instruments, which obviously changes the sound for playback. You can switch these manually after the fact.
Dan Kreider
hymnworks.com
Dorico 3, Windows 10

Return to “Dorico”